Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Varadero Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The problem with Varadero airport is that the influx of tourists has vastly outgrown the size of the airport. – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Juan Gualberto Gómez Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport with a variety of shopping and dining options.
- Long, slow lines at security checkpoints
- Staff is friendly, but there may be a possible language barrier. Knowledge of Spanish is helpful here!
- Mobility-impaired travelers may have a hard time getting around in this airport, as there are no elevators in this two-story airport.
- The air-conditioning keeps the terminal positively polar inside, so have a sweater or travel blanket handy to keep warm!
- There are reports of theft by airport security checkpoint staff.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Although no specific sleeping spot was mentioned, one reviewer who spent the night in this airport described the stay as uneventful and safe, but suggests having a sleeping bag or travel mat and blanket handy for added comfort and warmth while sleeping on the floor. Write a review to help future travelers.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Varadero Airport does not appeal to you, it is best to head back into the city center or the resort you have been staying at, as there are no hotels near the airport. Here are some Varadero hotel suggestions based on Tripadvisor reviews:
- Hotel Los Delfines – (25 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Casa de Mary Y Angel – (25 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available. via taxi service from either airport in Varadero (35 CUC) or Havana (90 CUC). » Check Rates
- Beny’s House – (30 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available. via taxi service from either airport in Varadero (30 CUC) or Havana (80-100 CUC). » Check Rates
- Hostal El Villareno – (30 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Varadero Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Varadero Airport inside the lounge. At the time of this update, we did not have information about WiFi elsewhere in the terminal. If you know, email us at [email protected]
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Baby Care Facilities – Not available.
Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Airside.
Currency Exchange – Foreign exchange services are available. Location: unknown.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops selling souvenir type items, note these are all located Airside.
Food & Drinks – Landside offers a snack bar and a cafeteria while Airside you will find a cafeteria, 2 snack bars and a coffee shop. Note, there are no 24 hour operators.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Services – There is a First Aid Station. Location: unknown.
Pharmacy – A small drug store can be found airside.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
Smoking – There is a designated smoking section located airside.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Varadero airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • Sunwing Airlines • Cubana Airlines • WestJet • Air Transat • Interjet • Air France • American Airlines • Copa.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Car rentals are available on site. No further information is available at this time.
Some local hotels and tour companies offer shuttle service to and from the airport. Contact your hotel of choice for availability and details.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. There are no meters, so negotiate a fare with the driver before starting your journey. At the time of this January 2018 update, the average to Varadero is 30CUC.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected]