About This Airport:
- > Airport Guide
- > Airport Hotels
- > Airport Hours
- > Airport Lounges
- > Airport WiFi
- > Services, Facilities & Things to Do At The Airport
- > Read all Reviews
- > Vote in the 2014
Best & Worst Airports Survey
Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Athens Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I actually saw others who had sleeping bags and a whole set-up! I was not that prepared but learned a whole new way of saving on travel. -Heather
photo credit: Salonica84 / Wikimedia [ submit a photo ]
As we live a few hours away from Athens and there's no early morning transportation from our town, we had to stay overnight at the airport in order to catch an early morning flight the next day.
Our first surprise when we arrived was just how busy the airport was so late at night. Many of the food/drink options were open and operating, no matter how late it got (I guess they must be 24/7 operations). We did a full loop of the airport, only to discover all of the seats had already been taken, and even the best floor spots!!!
Eventually we settled down on the floor in a corner right next to the Lufthansa check-in. As it turns out, Lufthansa operates the first flight out of Venizelos in the morning! :'( So, firstly we were awaken by all the noise of the Lufthansa staff as they started up their morning operations; they ignored us, but it was difficult to ignore them in return - high heels on a hard floor ;-)
We managed to kind of doze off again, but this time security personnel were going around the terminal making all people on the floor to get up and find seating. At least they were polite about it. Luckily we found seating on our second tour of the airport. The seating was cushioned and it was possible to use the seats opposite in order to make something of a bed. However, the airport was extremely cold because of over-airconditioning, so despite the relative comfort of the seating, it was still difficult to get any sleep. In fact, my girlfriend got sick because of the cold in the airport.
Venizelos is a fine airport in general, but perhaps not the best place for sleeping. If you simply wish to pass the night and don't care about sleeping, it's a perfect option as you can go have a drink or bite to eat to kill the time until check-in.
The last review for this airport was in 2013. Have you been there recently? Tell us about it!
The Athens Airport at one time had some "House Rules". I had linked to the document on their web site, but as of this last update they were gone. I'm not sure if this still applies, but House Rule # 4.3 was "Lying on the floor and sleeping in the terminal are not permitted." How Rude!!! haha
There are lounges in the airport that you can pay to access:
- Aristotle Onassis Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate A13 in the Extra-Schengen Area. Hours: 5am - 12am. Lounge Access: £25.00 per person (online)
- Goldair Handling CIP Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, Schengen Area, Level 1, opposite Gate B13. Hours: 3am - 8pm. Lounge Access: £20.00 per person (online)
- Melina Merkouri Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, near Gate B11 in the Intra-Schengen Area. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: £25.00 per person (online)
- Swissport Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, next to Gate A12 in the Extra-Schengen Area. Hours: 7am - 10pm. Lounge Access: £23.00 per person (online)
- Free WiFi is available at the Athens Airport for 60 minutes. Additional time beyond the 60 minutes will be subject to a fee. The WiZ portal provides detailed info on your flight status, news & promos, and the e-tv service allows you to watch tv & videos on your laptop.
- Internet access is also available at the Business Centre on the Arrivals Level for a fee.
- There are 22 free Internet Kiosks that available for 15-minutes.
If sleeping in airports does not appeal to you, there is a hotel at Athens Airport:
- Sofitel - 50m from the airport. Day rooms are available 12pm - 6pm.
- Holiday Inn Athens Airport - 10 minutes drive from the airport. (Shuttle Hours: Free scheduled shuttle bus runs from 530am - 10pm).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Athens Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Tours - Athens Airport offers a free two-hour tour of the Main Terminal, Baggage Handling System, Archaeological Museum and Fire Brigade Station, including the “Panther” fire-rescue vehicles. Tours are held Monday - Friday (9am - 2pm). Contact: (+30) 210 3531335
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located landside on the Arrivals and Departures Levels as well as airside.
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National• Sixt. Location: Arrivals Level.
- Children's Play Area - An area to keep your children occupied befoew the flight. Location: Main Terminal Building, 2nd floor. Hours: 9am - 9pm.
- Currency Exchange - There is a eurochange. Location unknown. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Food & Beverage - At the time of this update, there are many food and beverage concessions that are open 24-hours, but I dont have the names and their locations.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Pacific Travel Service offer luggage storage. Rates start at Eur 3.00 (small bag) - Eur 7.00 (large bag) for 6 hours. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Museum - There is a permanent exhibition dedicated to Eleftherios Venizelos and the Airport Museum. The airport also hosts cultural events, including painting and photography exhibitions, book presentations and a number of cultural collaborations.
- Pharmacy - Location: Arrivals Level, Landside. Hours: 6am - 12am.
- Showers - The only showers available are in the lounges.
open 24 hours
Last Updated: 01 October 2013
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.