Read more about this airport
Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Athens Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I actually saw others who had sleeping bags and a whole set-up! I was not that prepared but learned a whole new way of saving on travel. -Heather
As we live a few hours away from Athens and there's no early morning transportation from our town, we had to stay overnight at the airport in order to catch an early morning flight the next day.
Our first surprise when we arrived was just how busy the airport was so late at night. Many of the food/drink options were open and operating, no matter how late it got (I guess they must be 24/7 operations). We did a full loop of the airport, only to discover all of the seats had already been taken, and even the best floor spots!!!
Eventually we settled down on the floor in a corner right next to the Lufthansa check-in. As it turns out, Lufthansa operates the first flight out of Venizelos in the morning! :'( So, firstly we were awaken by all the noise of the Lufthansa staff as they started up their morning operations; they ignored us, but it was difficult to ignore them in return - high heels on a hard floor ;-)
We managed to kind of doze off again, but this time security personnel were going around the terminal making all people on the floor to get up and find seating. At least they were polite about it. Luckily we found seating on our second tour of the airport. The seating was cushioned and it was possible to use the seats opposite in order to make something of a bed. However, the airport was extremely cold because of over-airconditioning, so despite the relative comfort of the seating, it was still difficult to get any sleep. In fact, my girlfriend got sick because of the cold in the airport.
Venizelos is a fine airport in general, but perhaps not the best place for sleeping. If you simply wish to pass the night and don't care about sleeping, it's a perfect option as you can go have a drink or bite to eat to kill the time until check-in.
Have you been to Athens Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
The Athens Airport at one time had some "House Rules". I had linked to the document on their web site, but as of this last update they were gone. I'm not sure if this still applies, but House Rule # 4.3 was "Lying on the floor and sleeping in the terminal are not permitted." How Rude!!! haha
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Athens airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aristotle Onassis Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate A13 in the Extra-Schengen Area. Hours: 5am - 12am. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Goldair Handling CIP Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, Schengen Area, Level 1, opposite Gate B13. Hours: 3am - 8pm. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20) • Priority Pass.
- Melina Merkouri Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, near Gate B11 in the Intra-Schengen Area. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25) • Priority Pass.
- Swissport Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, next to Gate A12 in the Extra-Schengen Area. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£23) • Priority Pass.
Additionally, there are airline lounges that require elite status for entry: British Airways Terraces Lounge (Departures Area A - Non-Schengen), Aegean Airlines Club (Departures Area B - Schengen) and Lufthansa Business Lounge (Departures Area B - Schengen).
- Free WiFi is available at Athens Airport for 60 minutes. Additional time beyond the 60 minutes will be subject to a fee. The WiZ portal provides detailed info on your flight status, news & promos, and the e-tv service allows you to watch tv & videos on your laptop.
- Internet access is also available at the Business Centre on the Arrivals Level for a fee.
- There are 22 free Internet Kiosks that are available for 15-minutes.
If sleeping in airports does not appeal to you, there is a hotel at Athens Airport:
- Sofitel - 50m from the airport. Day rooms are available 12pm - 6pm.
- Holiday Inn Athens Airport - 10 minutes drive from the airport. (Shuttle Hours: Free scheduled shuttle bus runs from 530am - 10pm).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Athens Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Tours - Athens Airport offers a free two-hour tour of the Main Terminal, Baggage Handling System, Archaeological Museum and Fire Brigade Station, including the “Panther” fire-rescue vehicles. Tours are held Monday - Friday (9:00AM - 2:00PM). Contact: (+30) 210 3531335
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located landside on the Arrivals and Departures Levels as well as airside. Alpha Bank is open 8:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat - Sun and Bank Holidays).
- Currency Exchange - There is a eurochange. Location unknown. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Family Services - The airport offers a play area and baby rooms to help the needs of families travelling with children.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Main Terminal Building, 2nd floor. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Baby Care Rooms - Several bathrooms are specially equipped with baby rooms for feeding and changing babies. Look for the baby care symbol throughout the terminal.
- First Aid - There is a 24 hour Emergency Centre. Location: unknown.
- Food & Beverage - At the time of this update, there are many food and beverage concessions that are open 24-hours, but I don't have the names and their locations. A mini market is located on the Arrivals Level, Landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Care4Bag offers luggage storage. Rates start at Eur 3.00 (small bag) - Eur 7.00 (large bag) for 6 hours. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Museum - There is a permanent exhibition dedicated to Eleftherios Venizelos and the Airport Museum. The airport also hosts cultural events, including painting and photography exhibitions, book presentations and a number of cultural collaborations.
- Pharmacy - Location: Arrivals Level, Landside. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Showers - The only showers available are in the lounges.
The airport is open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is accessible via Metro Line 3 “Aghia Marina - Athens International Airport”. For all schedules, visit the stasy web site.
Athens International Airport is connected via the Suburban Rail with: Athens Central Railway Station (Larissis Station); Port of Pireaus and Kiato. For further information regarding timetables, call 14511 or visit the Trainose web site.
Bus Services (OSY)
Four bus routes connect directly Athens and Piraeus with the airport. All buses set down passengers at the departures level and depart from the Arrivals Level between Exits 4 and 5. For further information, call 11 185.
Regional buses - Ktel Express Service
Five regional buses operate at the airport. All buses set down passengers at the Departures Level and depart from the Arrivals Level, between Exits 2 and 3, opposite the Airport Hotel (Sofitel). For further information regarding travelling by Regional Buses to other major cities visit the KTEL web site.
Car hire is available from a number of providers within the airport. Companies include: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National• Sixt. Location: Arrivals Level.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Athens Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 22 March 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.