Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Athens Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I wrote a complaint to Athens Airport about harassment by their staff of me (an older woman travelling alone. I landed on BA at about 3.30am and it was 8am before my onward flight. I got a very stupid letter back saying that 'sleeping is not allowed'!!! It also said I should have stayed in the Sofitel (for three hours!! _ STUPID people) and that their policy of waking people up - eg by playing horrible extra loud music at night and poking people who are asleep seems to be because it might upset 'other passengers'" - a traveller
Athens is not a sleep friendly airport! If you are waiting for an early morning flight, be prepared to not get any sleep.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Athens Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport is fairly new with modern facilities and amenities, but it is not friendly to those looking to sleep overnight.
- The airport has a main terminal and a satellite terminal, connected by underground link. The main terminal is split into Hall A and Hall B.
- Several eateries and cafes are open 24-hours.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Unfortunately this airport is unfriendly to overnight travellers attempting to sleep. Music is intentionally blasted through the PA system through the night into morning to prevent travellers from sleeping in the airport, and airport staff will wake up anyone attempting to do sleep. However, one recent reviewer reported a problem-free overnight stay, which is something short of a miracle!
- We generally don’t recommend trying to sleep at this airport. If you can stay up all night, you won’t be alone, with other travelers trying to same thing.
- There are lots of uncomfortable seats and benches.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Athens Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Athens airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Goldair Handling Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Landside, Level 1, opposite Gate A11 in the Non-Schengen area. Hours: 3:30AM - 11:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access Book Online (£24)
- Skyserv Aristotle Onassis Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate A13 in the Extra-Schengen Area. Non-Schengen flights only. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri) • 4:00AM - 11:00PM (Wed, Sat & Sun). Lounge Access: Book Online (£24 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Swissport Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, next to Gate A12 in the Extra-Schengen Area. Non-Schengen flights only. Hours: 5:30AM - 1:00AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£25)
- Goldair Handling CIP Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, Schengen Area, Level 1, opposite Gate B13. Hours: 4:30AM - 8:00PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, opposite Gate B12, in the Schengen area. Hours: 4:30AM - 8:00PM. Lounge Access Book Online (US$ 52 - day pass)
- Skyserv Melina Merkouri Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, near Gate B11 in the Intra-Schengen Area. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£24 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Additionally, there are airline lounges that require elite status for entry: British Airways Terraces Lounge (Non-Schengen, Departures Area A) • Aegean Airlines Club (Schengen, Departures Area B).
Free WiFi is available at the airport for 45 minutes. Connect to the “ATH Free Wi-Fi” network. Once the 45-minute time limit expires you may log-in again as many times as you wish (45 minute increments) within 24 hours, or pay for uninterrupted premium service on the “ATH Premium Wi-Fi” network.
Free WiFi is also available for 15 minutes through one of the 22 internet kiosks located through the airport.
If sleeping in Athens Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sofitel - Located 50 meters from the airport’s main terminal. Day rooms are available 12:00PM - 6:00PM. The hotel has a spa that is open to non-guests. Services include a variety of facials and body treatments, massages, mani-pedis, and more.
- Peri's Hotel - (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available on request.
- Holiday Inn Athens Airport - (10 minutes from the airport) Free 24 hour shuttle runs hourly on the hour. Day rooms are available 11:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Hotel Pantheon - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Athens Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - Rotating displays of art can be found in the Art & Culture Exhibition Area on the Arrivals Level. The airport also hosts cultural events, including painting and photography exhibitions, book presentations and a number of cultural collaborations.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located landside on the Arrivals and Departures Levels as well as airside. Alpha Bank offers full-service banking in the airport. Location: Arrivals Level, landside. Hours: 8:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat - Sun and Bank Holidays).
- Baby Care Facilities - Facilities for changing and feeding your baby are available in designated baby rooms and restrooms throughout the airport (landside and airside). Look for the baby care symbol or ask an Information Desk staff member for help.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Play Area - For children ages 1.5 - 7 years old. Location: Main Terminal, landside, 2nd Floor, next to the Museum of the Acropolis exhibition. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Currency Exchange - ONExchange offers currency exchange, Western Union, and VAT refunds. Two locations: Departures, landside • Departures, airside, Schengen • Departures, airside, Non-schengen • Arrivals Level, Baggage Claim. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside on the Departures Level of both Schengen and non-Schengen areas. In addition, a variety of retail shops is available, most open 24 hours!
- Food & Drinks - Most of the food concessions throughout the airport operate 24 hours. Here are some of the dining options you’ll find: Buondi Caffe • Heineken Star Bar • illy Bar • Kir-Yianni Wine Bar • McDonald’s • Puro Gusto • To Go.
- Grocery Store - If you need to pick up groceries on your way home to your destination in Athens, stop at the airport mini market. Fresh produce, baked goods, cleaning supplies, and general groceries are available. Location: Arrivals Level, landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Care4Bag offers luggage storage and international shipping courier for documents and packages. Location: Arrivals Level, Landside.
- Luggage Wrapping - Care4Bag offers luggage wrapping. Location: Departures Level, landside.
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency care are available at the First Aid Station. Report to any Airport Information Counter for immediate assistance. Location: unknown Hours: Open 24 hours
- Museum - History is on display through permanent exhibitions from the Acropolis Museum (Main Terminal), the Eleftherios Venizelos Permanent Exhibition featuring Greek aviation history (Main Terminal - Departures Level) and Exhibition of Archaeological Findings (Main Terminal - Departures Level, Entrance 3 and front entrances. 6:00AM - 11:00PM daily).
- Pharmacy - Location: Arrivals Level, Landside. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Post Office - ELTA Hellenic Post. Location: Arrivals, landside. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:30PM (Mon-Sat) • 8:30AM - 6:30PM (Sat & public holidays).
- Rest Zones - Not Available.
- Salon Services - Konstantinos Hatzis offers hair and nail services. Location: Arrivals Level, landside. Hours: unknown
- Showers - The only showers available are in the lounges.
The airport is open 24 hours
Four city bus lines serve Athens Airport: Route X95 Syntagma - Airport; Route X96 Piraeus - Airport; Route X93 Kifisou - Airport and Route X97 Elliniko - Airport. Route X95 goes to Syntagma Square, where many popular hotels and attractions are within walking distance. Route X96 takes 90 minutes to travel between the airport and Piraeus, the port for passenger ferries to the Greek Islands. Route X93 travels to and from Athens Intercity Bus Terminal in a 65 minute journey. This route is the only way to reach the bus terminal by public transportation, other than by taxi. Route X97 travels to Elliniko Metro Station, providing a connection to the M2 line.
All of the listed buses run non-stop 24 hours a day, every day, dropping off passengers at the Departures Level and picking up passengers from a designated area between Exit 4 and Exit 5 on the Arrivals Level. A single ticket is € 6, with reduced fares available for students and senior citizens. Combo bus/metro tickets and multi-day travel passes are also available. Tickets are sold from a kiosk at the bus pickup area, and also available for purchase onboard. For schedules, fares and bus stops, go to the OASA website.
Five regional KTEL bus lines also serve the airport: Bus 2 to Rafina Port, Bus 10 and 11 to Lavrio Port, Bus 15 to Markopoulo and Bus 309 to Koropi. Passengers are dropped off at the Departures Level, and the pickup area is on the Arrivals Level between Exit 2 and Exit 3, opposite the Sofitel Airport Hotel. For further information, go to the KTEL website.
Car hire is available from a number of providers within the airport. Companies include: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National• Sixt. Location: Arrivals Level.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Holiday Inn Athens Attica Avenue Airport West • Mare Nostrum Thalasso Hotel • Peri’s Hotel.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi stand located at Arrivals Level, exit 3. At the time of this update, flag drop is € 1.29, along with a charge of € .74 per km within city limits (€ 1.29 per km outside of city limits) and applicable surcharges. One-way flat fares are available between the airport and Athens city center inner ring, in either direction, for € 38 (from 5:00AM - 12:00AM) or € 54 (from 12:00AM - 5:00AM). Flat fares include all applicable surcharges.
Metro Line 3 (Blue) runs between the airport and Agia Marina, with connections to other lines available from stops at Syntagma, Monastiraki and Doukissis Plakentias. Athens Airport Metro Station is just a short walk across the street from the airport terminals. Integrated tickets and travel cards are available at the Metro station. For further information, go to the Urban Rail Transport website.
Athens International Airport is also served by Athens Suburban Railways, or Proastiakos, which connect the airport, the Port of Piraeus, central Athens, Attica and major cities in the surrounding regions. Passengers can take the Airport-Kiato line to Ano Liosia Railway Station for connections to central Athens and Port of Piraeus, or continue on the line through northern Athens and Korinthos. For more information about Athens suburban trains, visit the trainOSE website.
Last Updated: 15 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.