Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Athens Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Security announcements are a bit loud and frequent. At 4 they turn on music, really too loud even through ear plugs.” – a traveller
ATH Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Athens International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos.
What to Expect
Relative to other airports in Greece, Athens Airport (code: ATH) is fairly new and modern. It has a main terminal with two halls (A and B) and a satellite terminal, which opened in May 2018. The terminals are connected by underground tunnel with a moving sidewalk, and an above ground walkway.
Amenities at Athens Airport are simple and to the point. Several restaurants are open 24-hours, and there are art installations and a museum to keep you entertained briefly at least. WiFi is available to pass the time. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Athens Airport
Athens Airport isn’t terribly friendly towards those spending the night. There are very few comfortable and/or armrest-free benches, with some reviewers reporting that it’s better to just stay awake and upright all night. If you are going to spend the night, it seems like there airside, rather than landside, has better sleeping options – and that the benches near McDonalds are possibly your best bet. Explore our guide to sleeping in Athens Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. And if none of this sounds like an experience you would really like to have, there are hotels nearby. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. To help us keep this guide up-to-date as the airport reopens, you can add or update information or write a review and submit photos and airport tips.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Athens Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Athens Airport Hotels & Day Rooms
- Nearest Hotel: Within 5 minutes from the airport
- Sleep Cabins & Pods: No
- Day Rooms: Yes
- Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair is giving you nightmares, there are options for those of you who are looking to sleep at Athens Airport in comfort. While there are no transit hotels, there are nearby hotels that are accessible by foot or airport shuttles.
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Sofitel Athens Airport – Located 50 meters / 2 minute walk from the airport’s main terminal. Day rooms are available 12:00PM – 6:00PM. » Check Rates
- Comfort Stay Airport Boutique Hotel – Free airport shuttle is available upon request. » Check Rates
- Peri’s Hotel – Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available upon request. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Athens Airport – Free shuttle runs 4:30AM – 12:00PM and 3:00PM – 10:00PM. The bus departs on the hour from the airport and on the half hour from the hotel. Day rooms are available 11:00AM – 6:00PM. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Athens Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Goldair Handling Lounge – Location: Hall A, Airside, Non-Schengen Area, Level 1, opposite Gate A11. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Skyserv Aristotle Onassis Lounge – Location: Hall A, Airside, Extra-Schengen Area, across from Gate A9. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Swissport Lounge – Location: Hall A, Airside, Non-Schengen Area, next to Gate A12. Lounge Access: Unknown
Passes Goldair Handling CIP Lounge – Location: Hall B, Airside, Schengen Area, Level 1, opposite Gate B13. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Skyserv Melina Merkouri Lounge – Location: Hall B, Airside, Intra-Schengen Area, near Gate B11. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Aegean Airlines Club (Location: Non-Schengen, Departures Area A) • Aegean Airlines Club (Location: Schengen, Departures Area B) • Lufthansa Business Lounge (Location: Hall B, Airside, Schengen Area, opposite Gate B12).
Related Pages: Athens Airport Lounges
Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging
Free WiFi is available at the airport for 45 minutes. Connect to the “ATH Free Wi-Fi” network. Once the 45-minute time limit expires you may log-in again as many times as you wish (45 minute increments) within 24 hours, or pay for uninterrupted premium service on the “ATH Premium Wi-Fi” network.
Free WiFi is also available for 15 minutes through one of the 22 internet kiosks located through the airport.
A traveller (August 2018) has advised us that mobile charging is available at Gate 21 in addition to other areas (no specifics provided).
Airport Services and Facilities
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside on the Departures Level of both Schengen and non-Schengen areas. In addition, a variety of retail shops is available, most open 24 hours!
- Baby Care Facilities – Facilities for changing and feeding your baby are available in designated baby rooms and restrooms throughout the airport (landside and airside). Look for the baby care symbol or ask an Information Desk staff member for help.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Suitable for children ages 1.5 – 7 years old. Location: Main Terminal, landside, 2nd Floor, next to the Museum of the Acropolis exhibition. Hours: 9:00AM – 8:30PM.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Over 20 food concessions are available throughout the airport and most operate 24 hours. Here are some of the dining options you’ll find: Camden Food Co. • Eat Greek • Nescafe Bar • Puro Gusto • To Go.
- Grocery Store – If you need to pick up groceries on your way home to your destination in Athens, stop at the airport mini market. Fresh produce, baked goods, cleaning supplies, and general groceries are available. Location: Arrivals Level, landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Care4Bag offers luggage storage and international shipping courier for documents and packages. Location: Arrivals Level, Landside.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic by Care4Bag. Location: Departures Level, landside.
Medical Services – If you feel unwell or injure yourself, first aid services are available. Hours: 24 hours. Contact the information desk for further assistance.
Mobile Charging – see “Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging” above.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside (on the Arrivals and Departures Levels) and Airside.
- Banking Services – Alpha Bank offers full-service banking in the airport. Location: Arrivals Level, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:00AM – 4:00PM (Sat – Sun and Bank Holidays).
- Currency Exchange – ONExchange offers currency exchange, Western Union, and VAT refunds. Locations: Departures and Arrivals, landside • Departures, airside, Schengen • Departures, airside, Non-schengen • Arrivals Level, Baggage Claim. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Pharmacy – Location: Arrivals Level, Landside. Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM.
Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s ELTA Hellenic Post Office. Location: Arrivals, landside. Hours: 7:00AM – 5:30PM (Mon-Sat) • 8:30AM – 5:30PM (Sun & public holidays).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
Salon Services – Fairy Nails offers body and nail services. Location: Arrivals Level, landside. Hours: unknown.
Showers – A reader tells us there are showers in the washrooms in front of the prayer room. A few of the lounges also have showers. See the Airport Lounges section above.
Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Athens and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, the Aktina Travel Group (Landside, Arrivals) can probably be of assistance.
WiFi – see “Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging” above.
Related Pages: 8 Things to do on a layover at Athens Airport
Things to do at Athens Airport
Art in the Airport – Rotating displays of art can be found in the Art & Culture Exhibition Area on the Arrivals Level. The airport also hosts cultural events, including painting and photography exhibitions, book presentations and a number of cultural collaborations.
Museum – History is on display through permanent exhibitions from the Acropolis Museum (Main Terminal), the Eleftherios Venizelos Permanent Exhibition featuring Greek aviation history (Main Terminal – Departures Level) and Exhibition of Archaeological Findings (Main Terminal – Departures Level, Entrance 3 and front entrances. 6:00AM – 11:00PM daily).
Related Pages: 8 Things to do on a layover at Athens Airport
The airport is open 24 hours.
Athens International Airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aeroflot • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air China • Air France • Air Serbia • Alitalia • Arkia Israeli Airlines • Austrian Airlines • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgaria Air • Delta • EasyJet • Egyptair • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Gulf Air • Iberia • Israir • KLM • Lufthansa • MEA • Olympic • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Royal Jordanian • Ryanair • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Scandinavian Airlines • Scoot Tiger • Sky Express • Swiss • TAROM • Transavia • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Volotea • Vueling • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
ATH Airport is very well connected with four city bus lines connecting the airport with Athens and Piraeus. For schedules, fares and bus stops, go to the OASA website. For passengers looking to travel to surrounding cities, five regional buses also stop at the airport. To find out more information, visit the KTEL website.
Car hire is available from a number of providers within the airport. Companies include: Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Hertz • Sixt. Location: Arrivals Level.
Several area hotels provide an airport shuttle: Dolce by Wyndham Athens Attica Riviera • Holiday Inn Athens Airport • Comfort Stay Airport Boutique Hotel • Hotel Avra Rafina • Myrto Hotel. See also Airport Hotels above.
If your travels include taking a ferry, you can connect from the airport via Metro Line 3 (then at Monastiraki transfer to Metro Line 1) with a total journey time of 60 minutes. Alternatively, the bus Route X96 Piraeus will also provide access to the port of Piraeus.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi stand located on the Arrivals Level, exit 3. At the time of this update, one-way flat fares between the airport and Athens city center inner ring, in either direction, costs € 35 (from 5:00AM – 12:00AM) or € 49 (from 12:00AM – 5:00AM).
ATH Airport is connected to the metro system via Metro Line 3 (Blue) and for longer distance trains the airport is served via the Athens Suburban Railways. For fares, routes and schedules visit either the Urban Rail Transport website (for metro connections) or the trainOSE website for longer distance options.
Last updated: 2022-02-10
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.