Barcelona Girona Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Barcelona Girona Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Security woke us up at 3am and told us to move to the other part of the building.
-Julian and Mayumi
photo source: Dantadd / wikipedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Girona–Costa Brava Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, two-story passenger terminal with limited shopping and dining options
- Most passengers who choose to spend the night here do so to catch an early flight
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers describe the terminal as small and crowded at night with sleeping travelers. One reported seeing homeless people in the terminal as well.
- There is a limited amount of seats (with armrests) and benches, but most of our reviewers were more comfortable sleeping on the floor. Have a travel mat or sleeping bag handy for added comfort!
- Air-conditioning keeps the airport terminal pretty cold inside, so have a travel blanket handy to stay warm.
- Although the overhead announcements are turned off at night, some reviewers were frequently wakened by the loud vending machines when in use. Earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones should help block out the noise.
- Be prepared to be abruptly awakened at 5:00AM by airport security. Sleeping on the floor is not allowed when the airport is open.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Barcelona Girona Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Premier Club - Location: Landside
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Barcelona Girona Airport. Connect to the "kubiwireless" network. (SSID: Airport_Free_Wifi_AENA).
If sleeping in Girona Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Vilobi - (3 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Salles Hotel - (800m from the terminal) Free roundtrip airport transfers.
- B&B Hotel Girona - (10 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Girona Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Caixabank and Santander ATMs are located on Floor 0, in both Check-In and Baggage Claim areas.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free - Costa Brava Duty Free offers duty-free shopping on Floor 1, airside, from 5:30AM - 10:00PM. The only other store in the airport is Divers convenience store, also located airside on Floor 1. Divers is open from 6:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: Caffriccio • Food Gallery • McDonald’s • Medas • Subway. Vending machines can be found at Check-In, Arrivals, and Baggage Claim areas.
- Information Booth - Location: Landside, Floor 0, Check-in Hall. Hours: unknown
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Not available
- Luggage Wrapping - TrueStar Securebag heavy-duty luggage wrapping is available on Floor 0, landside, in the Check-In area.
- Police - Location: Floor 0, Arrivals.
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking Area - There are three outdoor terraces in the boarding area (airside) on P1.
- Tax Refund - All foreigners or Spanish citizens not residing in Spain or in a European Union country who are travelling to a third country are entitled to a Value Added Tax (VAT) refund on their purchases in Spain. To get the refund they must have their "Tax Free" cheques stamped at Customs. This can be done in the airport, in the check-in area. For help finding the office where the process is carried out, please go to the airport's Information Desk, also in the check-in area.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to email@example.com and we will update this airport guide.
Girona-Costa Brava Airport is served by five intercity buses, with a bus stop area located on the ground floor of the airport terminal.
Sagalés intercity bus route Airport - Girona runs to and from Girona bus station, while the Airport - Barcelona route runs to the Barcelona Nord bus station (located next to Arc de Triomf). Both buses run in coordination with Ryanair flight schedules, departing about 20 - 25 minutes after the arrival of every flight. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the Sagalés website.
Both Sagalés and Sarfa bus companies offer service between the airport and the towns of Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar and Blanes in Costa Brava sur. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Sagalés or Sarfa websites.
TEISA’s Airport-Lleida route runs between the airport and Vic, Manresa, Cervera, Tàrrega and Lleida. For route maps, schedules and fares, go to the TEISA website.
Novatel Andorra by Bus offers bus service to and from the Andorra del Valle bus station in the country of Andorra. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Novatel Andorra by Bus website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Enterprise, Europcar, Goldcar and Hertz. Location: P0, near arrivals.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Girona Aeropuerto • Melia Girona • Salles Hotel Aeroport Girona.
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area, just outside of the Arrivals Hall. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Fares are slightly higher from 8:00PM - 8:00AM on weekdays, throughout the day and night on weekends and public holidays, and during the Christmas/New Year holiday week. An extra fee of €3.10 applies for trips to/from the airport. At the time of this update, there is a minimum fare requirement of € 6.70. The estimated one-way fare between the airport and Barcelona is between €132 - €150.
Last Updated: 27 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.