Birmingham Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Birmingham Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The far end of the D concourse was very quiet and had some seats without arms. This area is set up for US Airways, possibly their connection carriers - but it was not in use at all on this Saturday. -bexar4
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Birmingham Airport.
What to Expect
- A busy, modern two-story single passenger terminal building, separated into two sections (Terminal 1 and Terminal 2). A wide variety of shops and restaurants are available, including 24-hour dining!
- Many travelers who choose to spend the night do so to catch early flight
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Reviewers describe the airport as clean and secure, but reviews are mixed on the overnight experience. Unoccupied seating can be hard to find landside, especially at night, and the benches are hard, curved and uncomfortable. If you have a sleeping bag or travel mat, you may be able to sleep comfortably on the floor.
- The airport is bright and noisy at all hours, so to ensure a good night’s sleep, have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Birmingham Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Birmingham airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, follow signs for Gates 1-20. Hours: 4:30AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£19.99) • Priority Pass
- No. 1 Birmingham - Location: Airside. Hours: 4:30AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£32.50) • Book Online (£26.00) • Priority Pass
Additionally, if you are travelling with Emirates on elite status tickets and frequent flyer membership, there is an Emirate Lounge located Airside, near gates 40-68 on the North Pier. Showers are available in this lounge.
Free WiFi is available at Birmingham Airport.
If sleeping in Birmingham Airports does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Etap Hotel - This hotel will soon be Ibis Budget Birmingham Airport. The hotel is a 1 minute walk from the airport terminal, or you can request the hotel’s shuttle bus for a fee.
- Ibis Hotel Birmingham Airport - (5 min walk to the airport terminal) Airport shuttle is available.
- Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC - This is a new hotel due to open July 2015, just 5 minutes from Birmingham International Airport. Airport shuttle is available.
- Novotel Hotel - (1 min walk to the airport) Located across from the Arrivals and Departures Terminal, 2-minute walk from Terminals 1 and 2.
- Travelodge Birmingham Airport Hotel- (4 min from the airport terminal entrance) No airport shuttle available.
- Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport - (4 min from the airport terminal entrance) Free airport shuttle runs from the hotel to the rail station serving the airport, every 30 minutes.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Birmingham Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available throughout the airport both Landside and Airside.
- Baggage Trolleys - Locations: various. Rate: £1 or €2 (non-refundable)
- Currency Exchange - ICE (International Currency Exchange) kiosks are available in five locations throughout the airport: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, ground floor • South Terminal Check-In area, landside, ground floor • Arrivals Hall car hire desks, landside, ground floor • Departures Lounge, airside • Baggage Reclaim area. Hours: Vary per location.
- Duty Free & Shopping - World Duty Free offers duty-free shopping airside to passengers departing and arriving on international flights. A small variety of retail shops is also available.
- Early Baggage Drop-Off - Thomson, First Choice and Falcon passengers travelling on Thomson Airways flights can drop-off their bags the day before their flight. You need to have checked-in online first. Location: Thomson check-in counters. Hours: 12:00PM - 10:00PM (Daily).
- Express Lane Security - If you want to get through security "quickly" you can pay £3 per person (pre-book online or pay at the Express Lane entrance).
- Family Services
- Baby Care - aby change stations are located both landside and airside throughout the airport. Boots Drugstore, located airside, offers pre-order service for baby milk. Simply place your order 5 days before your journey, and pick up post security, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
- Sky Zone - Fun and interactive games and activities are available in the Sky Zone, free play areas open to children of all ages! Adult supervision is required. Sky Zones are available in two areas: Gate 3 in the South Lounge, near All Bar One • Gate 54 in the North Lounge, near Costa Coffee and WHSmith.
- Strollers - If you are arriving at Birmingham Airport, there are coin-operated pushcars available once you disembark the plane. Rate: £1 refundable deposit. The return point is within the baggage hall.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Costa Coffee (Arrivals Greeting area) • Spar grocery store (North Terminal check-in area).
- Grocery Store - If you need to pick up groceries on your way to your destination in Birmingham, stop at Spar. A wide variety of hot and cold sandwiches, take-away meals and general groceries are available. Location: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, Ground Floor. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage Point offers storage for up to 3 months. Location: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, next to ICE. Hours: 4:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping - Luggage Point offers luggage wrapping at rates from £10 and up per piece of luggage. Dry cleaning, bubble-wrapping, and shipping services are also available, along with a small retail section of travel goods for sale. Location: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, next to ICE. Hours: 4:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Pharmacy - Boots - Locations: Landside, First Floor, North check-in area (Hours: 4:00AM - 8:00PM) • Airside, within the Departure Lounge (Hours: 4:00AM - 8:00PM) • Airside within the Departure Lounge, Gates 1-20 (5:00AM to 8:00PM).
- Post Office - Spar 24 has a post office that offers a range of services such as mail services, cash withdrawls & deposits, credit card withdrawls, bill payments, and more. Location: North Check-in, Landside. Hours: Spar 24 is open 24 hours, but the post office may have limited hours.
- Prayer Room - There is a multi-faith prayer room located on the Ground Floor, behind desk 28. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM. Muslim prayer is held on Fridays at 1:30PM and Christian worship is held on Tuesdays at 12:00PM.
- Observation Deck - The aircraft viewing area provides picnic benches and a great view of the runway. Location: By the Car Park 5. Hours: 24 hours a day.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Emirates lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking - Smoking is prohibited inside the airport accept in one designated area which is accessed through the Meridan Bar (Airside).
- Spa and Salon Services - Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more are available at Cloud Spa. Express services available. No reservation required! Location: Departures Lounge, airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 8:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Five local bus routes serve the airport: 900/900A (Birmingham-Coventry), 966 (Erdington-Solihull), 97/97A (24hr service to Birmingham City Centre), 75/75A (Sutton Coldfield-Birmingham International Station) and 91 (Chelmsley Wood and Birmingham International Station). For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the Network West Midlands website.
Long-distance buses link the airport to over 35 cities and towns across the UK, with services offered by National Express and Megabus. National Express is the UK’s largest coach operator, with multiple daily services available to and from Birmingham airport.
National Express bus tickets can be purchased onboard from the bus driver if seats are still available, or to guarantee a seat on your departure of choice, purchase your ticket online. For routes, schedules, fares and ticket sales, visit the National Express website.
Megabus offers budget inter-city services between Birmingham Airport and 16 destinations, with fares starting at £1 (plus booking fees). Megabus tickets are only sold online. For routes, schedules, fares and ticket sales, go to the Megabus website.
Car rental desks are located in the Arrivals lounge, between Costa and Deli Hub. Onsite car rental agencies include Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National and Sixt. Hours of operation vary slightly between agencies, but most are open daily from about 6:00AM - 12:00AM.
Licensed black taxis are the only taxis allowed to operate at the airport taxi rank, and are available on a 24-hour basis in front of the airport terminal. All licensed black taxis at the airport are wheelchair-accessible and able to transport up to 5 or 8 passengers, with luggage. Credit cards are accepted by all licensed black taxis.
Birmingham International Station is linked to the airport by AirRail Link, a free monorail service that runs daily from 5:15AM - 2:00AM. AirRail Link runs frequently throughout the day, and total trip time is just 2 minutes. From Birmingham International Station, the following services are available:
Virgin Trains: 3 trains per hour (tph) to London Euston, 2 tph to Birmingham New Street and hourly service to Wolverhampton (via Birmingham New Street)
Cross Country: 4 tph to Birmingham New Street and hourly service to Manchester Piccadilly, Bournemouth, London Euston (via Northampton), Northampton and Coventry.
Arriva Train Wales: Hourly service to Shrewsbury, with continuing service to Machynlleth, Aberystwyth and Pwllheli on one line, and continuing service to Holyhead (via Wrexham General and Chester) on another line.
Last Updated: 27 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.