Birmingham Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Birmingham Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The far end of the D concourse was very quiet and had some seats without arms. This area is set up for US Airways, possibly their connection carriers - but it was not in use at all on this Saturday. -bexar4
October 2013 - Further to the previous reviews, i can confirm it is in effect a 24hr airport where the staff appear used to overnight 'campers', if you use your common sense you'll be left alone. Costa, Smiths and a Spar open all hours ( alchohol available at the Spar). Upstairs the massage machines are used as pefectly reasonable alternatives to a bed. Security seems good, toilets are clean and a good place to freshen up, would stay again if i had too.
Have you been to Birmingham Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Birmingham airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, follow signs for Gates 1-20. Hours: 4:30AM – 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£18.99) • Priority Pass.
- No. 1 Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 4:30AM – 8:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£22.50) • Priority Pass.
Additionally, if you are travelling with Emirates on elite status tickets and frequent flyer membership, there is an Emirate Lounge located Airside, near gates 40-68 on the North Pier. Showers are available in this lounge.
Free WiFi is available at Birmingham Airport.
If sleeping in Birmingham Airports does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Etap Hotel - This hotel will soon be Ibis Budget Birmingham Airport. The hotel is a 1 minute walk from the airport terminal, or you can request the hotel’s shuttle bus for a fee.
- Ibis Hotel Birmingham Airport - (5 min walk to the airport terminal) Airport shuttle available
- Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC - This is a new hotel due to open July 2015, just 5 minutes from Birmingham International Airport. Airport shuttle available
- Novotel Hotel - (1 min walk to the airport) Located across from the Arrivals and Departures Terminal, 2-minute walk from Terminals 1 and 2.
- Travelodge Birmingham Airport Hotel- (4 min from the airport terminal entrance) No airport shuttle available
- Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport - (4 min from the airport terminal entrance) Free airport shuttle runs from the hotel to the rail station serving the airport, every 30 minutes.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Birmingham Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Baggage Trolleys - Locations: various. Rate: £1 or €2 (non-refundable)
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt. Location: Arrivals Area.
- Early Baggage Drop-Off - Thomson, First Choice and Falcon passengers travelling on Thomson Airways flights can drop-off their bags the day before their flight. You need to have checked-in online first. Location: Thomson check-in counters. Hours: 12:00PM - 10:00PM (Daily).
- Express Lane Security - If you want to get through security "quickly" you can pay £3 per person (pre-book online or pay at the Express Lane entrance).
- Family Services
- Baby Care - Baby change stations are located both Landside and Airside throughout the airport. Boots Drugstore, located Airside, offers pre-order service for baby milk, simply place your order 5 days before your travel and pick up post security, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
- Sky Zone - If you are travelling with children, be sure to visit the Sky Zone. Here you will find free interactives games and displays that will entertain young travellers and maybe even a few grown-ups. Games include: interactive touch screen tables with quizzes and free drawing programs, inflatable domes with musical light beams, mirror tents and more. Location: Airside, near Costa Coffee and WH Smiths.
- Strollers - If you are arriving at Birmingham Airport, there are coin-operated pushcars available once you disembark the plane. Rate: £1 refundable deposit. The return point is within the baggage hall.
- Food & Drinks - Several food and beverage concessions both landside and airside. Many options open at 4:00AM. Below are the 24-hour food option:
Landside: Spar 24 is a convenience store (Location: North, check-in) • Costa Coffee (Location: Arrivals Hall)
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Lost Property Office on the First Floor • Luggage Point offers storage for up to 3 months. Location: North Terminal, Landside, Check-in Area, adjacent to American Express. (Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM)
- Pharmacy - Boots - Locations: Landside, First Floor, North check-in area (Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM) • Airside, within the Departure Lounge (Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM) • Airside within the Departure Lounge, Gates 1-20 (5:30AM to 8:00PM).
- Post Office - Spar 24 has a post office that offers a range of services such as mail services, cash withdrawls & deposits, credit card withdrawls, bill payments, and more. Location: North Check-in, Landside. Hours: Spar 24 is open 24 hours, but the post office may have limited hours.
- Prayer Room - There is a multi-faith prayer room located on the Ground Floor, behind desk 28. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM. Muslim prayer is held on Fridays at 1:30PM and Christian worship is held on Tuesdays at 12:00PM.
- Observation Deck - The aircraft viewing area provides picnic benches and a great view of the runway. Location: By the Car Park 5. Hours: 24 hours a day.
- Shopping - In addition to a Duty Free store, the following stores are available at the airport: Accessorize • Hugo Boss • JD Sports • Next • Pandora • The Fashion Place • WHSmith • Victoria's Secret • The Watch Collection.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Emirates lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking - Smoking is prohibited inside the airport accept in one designated area which is accessed through the Meridan Bar (Airside)
The airport is open 24 hours.
Last Updated: 14 July 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.