In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Birmingham Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The far end of the D concourse was very quiet and had some seats without arms. This area is set up for US Airways, possibly their connection carriers - but it was not in use at all on this Saturday. -bexar4
I didn't plan to stay the night, but my flight was very delayed (and eventually cancelled) and I ended up spending 12 hours there. The boarding area was large, brightly lit, with plenty of waiting seats and computers with Internet access (no Free WiFi though). Most shops were closed some time after midnight, except for the duty free shopping store and a pub called Yates' Bar, which served drinks and food all night. There were a few reclining armchairs to sleep on, but other chairs were good enough for me. Even though most of them had armrests, it was possible to find two seats next to each other without one on which you could lie and stretch your legs a bit. However, I don't think that they would normally let anyone get in this area after the last flight. That night there were several fire alarm testing a couple of times, which was kind of disturbing. But if you're really looking for free airport accommodation, maybe the cushioned seats on the ground floor of Terminal A's check-in area near the escalators will do. All in all, I'd say the flight was horrible, but the airport itself was not too bad to stay over night.
Have you been to Birmingham Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Birmingham airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, follow signs for Gates 1-20. Hours: 4:30AM – 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£18.99) • Priority Pass.
- No. 1 Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 4:30AM – 8:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£22.50) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at Birmingham Airport.
If sleeping in Birmingham Airports does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Etap Hotel - This hotel will soon be Ibis Budget Birmingham Airport. The hotel is a 1 minute walk from the airport terminal, or you can request the hotel’s shuttle bus for a fee.
- Ibis Hotel Birmingham Airport - (5 min walk to the airport terminal) Airport shuttle available
- Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC - This is a new hotel due to open July 2015, just 5 minutes from Birmingham International Airport. Airport shuttle available
- Novotel Hotel - (1 min walk to the airport) Located across from the Arrivals and Departures Terminal, 2-minute walk from Terminals 1 and 2.
- Travelodge Birmingham Airport Hotel- (4 min from the airport terminal entrance) No airport shuttle available
- Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport - (4 min from the airport terminal entrance) Free airport shuttle runs from the hotel to the rail station serving the airport, every 30 minutes.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Birmingham Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Luggage Trolleys - Locations: various. Rate: £1 or €2 (non-refundable)
- Baby Care - Baby change stations are located both Landside and Airside throughout the airport. Boots Drugstore, located Airside, offers pre-order service for baby milk, simply place your order 5 days before your travel and pick up post security, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt. Location: Arrivals Area.
- Early Baggage Drop-Off - Thomson, First Choice and Falcon passengers travelling on Thomson Airways flights can drop-off their bags the day before their flight. You need to have checked-in online first. Location: Thomson check-in counters. Hours: 12:00PM - 10:00PM (Daily).
- Express Lane Security - If you want to get through security "quickly" you can pay £3 per person (pre-book online or pay at the Express Lane entrance)
- Food & Drinks - Several food and beverage concessions both landside and airside. Many options open at 4:00AM. Below are the 24-hour food option:
Landside: Costa Coffee (Arrivals Hall)
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Lost Property Office on the First Floor
- Prayer Room - There is a multi-faith prayer room located on the Ground Floor, behind desk 28. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM. Muslim prayer is held on Fridays at 1:30PM and Christian worship is held on Tuesdays at 12:00PM.
- Observation Deck - The aircraft viewing area provides picnic benches and a great view of the runway. Location: By the Car Park 5. Hours: 24 hours a day.
- Sky Zone - If you are travelling with children, be sure to visit the Sky Zone. Here you will find free interactives games and displays that will entertain young travellers and maybe even a few grown-ups. Games include: interactive touch screen tables with quizzes and free drawing programs, inflatable domes with musical light beams, mirror tents and more. Location: Airside, near Costa Coffee and WH Smiths.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is prohibited inside the airport accept in one designated area which is accessed through the Meridan Bar (Airside)
The airport is open 24 hours.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Birmingham Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Birmingham Travel Resources
- Birmingham Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 22 March 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.