Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Birmingham Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The far end of the D concourse was very quiet and had some seats without arms. This area is set up for US Airways, possibly their connection carriers – but it was not in use at all on this Saturday. -bexar4
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Birmingham International Airport.
What to Expect
Birmingham International Airport features two interconnecting terminals (1 and 2) linked by a central “Millennium Link” building housing shops restaurants and service counters The terminals house 48 departure gates between them, including 24-hour eateries and a large duty-free complex. WiFi is available, and comfort may be found through fee-based access into one of the airport’s private lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Birmingham Airport
Most travellers who opt to spend the night at this airport are doing so to catch an early morning flight. After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside, and must re-clear security the next day after security reopens. The airport is described as clean and secure, but seating is described as hard to find and uncomfortable. Floor sleeping might be more comfortable, provided one has a sleeping bag and/or travel mat. The airport is brightly lit, and noise echoes at all hours across the cavernous ceiling, so consider bringing eyeshade and earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Birmingham Airport Guide. You can also read traveller airport reviews or write a review and share photos from your own experience.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Aspire Lounge – Location: Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Aspire Lounge (South) – Location: Airside, next to Gate 1. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Clubrooms – Location: Airside, near Gate 54. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Passes No. 1 Birmingham Lounge – Location: Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are travelling with Emirates on elite status tickets and frequent flyer membership, there is an Emirate Lounge (Location: Airside, near gates 40-68 on the North Pier). Showers are available in this lounge. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
If sleeping in Birmingham Airports does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ibis Budget Birmingham Airport – The hotel is a short walk from the airport terminal. » Check Rates
- Ibis Hotel Birmingham Airport – (5 minute walk to the airport terminal) Airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC – Within walking distance of the airport. An airport shuttle is not available. » Check Rates
- Novotel Hotel – A 2-minute walk from Terminals 1 and 2. » Check Rates
- Travelodge Birmingham Airport Hotel– (4 minutes from the airport terminal entrance) No airport shuttle available. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport – (4 minutes from the airport terminal entrance) Free airport shuttle departs every 30 minutes from the hotel to the rail station, where you can then take the free SkyRail to the airport. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Birmingham Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Birmingham Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care – Baby change stations are located both landside and airside throughout the airport. Boots Drugstore, located airside, offers pre-order service for baby milk. Simply place your order 5 days before your journey, and pick up post security, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
- Sky Zone – Fun and interactive games and activities are available in the Sky Zone, free play areas open to all children 13 and under! Adult supervision is required. Location: Departure Lounge, Gate 55, near Costa Coffee and WHSmith.
- Strollers – If you are arriving at Birmingham Airport, there are coin-operated pushcars available once you disembark the plane. Rate: £1 refundable deposit. The return point is within the baggage hall.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. The landside Costa Coffee location is open 24-hours.Other dining options include: Frankie & Benny’s (2) • All Bar One • Caffe Nero • Bottega Prosecco Bar • Costa Coffee (4) • Wrapchic • Factory Bar and Kitchen • Pret a Manger • Wetherspoon • Giraffe • Caffe Ritazza • Burger King (2)
- Grocery Store – If you need to pick up groceries on your way to your destination in Birmingham, stop at Spar. A wide variety of hot and cold sandwiches, take-away meals and general groceries are available. Location: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, Ground Floor. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Water Fountains – Thirsty? Drinking water fountains are available free of charge. Locations:
- Landside: OSC Assistance Area • North Baggage Claim Area.
- Airside: Main Departure Lounge, behind Bottega Prosecco Bar • Main Departure Lounge, behind No.1 Lounge • International Pier, near Gates 47 & 52 • Pier Bussing Lounge.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available at several spots airside and landside throughout the airport. Rate: £1 or €2 (non-refundable).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage Point offers storage for up to 3 months. Location: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, next to ICE. Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM (Summer) • 4:00AM – 8:00PM (Winter).
- Luggage Wrapping – Luggage Point offers luggage wrapping at rates from £10 and up per piece of luggage. Dry cleaning, bubble-wrapping, and shipping services are also available, along with a small retail section of travel goods for sale. Location: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, next to ICE. Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM (Summer) • 4:00AM – 8:00PM (Winter).
- Pharmacy – Boots – Locations: Landside, Arrivals area (Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM) • Airside, within the Departure Lounge (Hours: 3:30AM – 10:00PM) • Airside within the Departure Lounge, Gates 1-20 (5:00AM to 8:30PM).
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Location: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – ICE (International Currency Exchange) kiosks are available in five locations throughout the airport:
Landside: North check in area, Ground Floor • South check in area, Ground Floor • Arrivals, Ground Floor, car hire desks • Baggage Claim Area
Airside: Departure Lounge.
- Prayer Room – There is a multi-faith prayer room located on the Ground Floor, behind desk 28. Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM. Muslim prayer is held on Fridays at 1:30PM and Christian worship is held on Tuesdays at 12:00PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Express Lane Security – If you want to get through security “quickly” you can pay £5.00 at the kiosk (or £3.75 per person if you pre-book online)
- Duty Free & Shopping – World Duty Free offers duty-free shopping airside to passengers departing and arriving on international flights. The airside walk-through location is opened the longest, from 2:45AM until the last flight of the day. A small variety of retail shops is also available.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available in the Emirates lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking -Smoking is prohibited inside the airport accept in one designated area which is accessed through the Factory Bar and Kitchen (Airside).
- Dry Cleaning – Luggage Point offers same day dry cleaning. Drop off items before 11:30AM for return at 5:00PM. Location: North Terminal Check-In area, landside, next to ICE. Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM (Summer) • 4:00AM – 8:00PM (Winter).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Birmingham airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • Aerflot • Air Austral • Air Canada • Air France • Air India • Air Mauritius • Alitalia • All Nippon Airways • Atlas Air • Austrian Airways • Blue Air • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Cathay Pacific • China Eastern • China Southern • Czech Airlines • Delta • EasyJet • Emirates • Ethiad • Eurowings • Finnair • GOL • Hainan • Iberia Express • Jet2 • Kenya • KLM Royal Dutch Airlines • Lufthansa • Malaysia • Qantas • Qatar Airways • Ryanair • SAS • Singapore Airlines • Smart Wings • Swiss • Thai Airways • TUI • Turkish Airlines • Turkmenistan Airlines • United Airlines • Virgin Atlantic • Vueling • Wizz Air • Xiamen Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is well connected to the bus system directly connecting the airport to 35+ cities and towns across the UK. Megabus offers budget inter-city services as well. Tickets are not always available on the bus. For fares, routes, schedule information and to purchase tickets, visit the Birmingham Airport website.
Car rental desks are located in the Arrivals lounge, between Costa and Wrapchic. Onsite car rental agencies include Avis, Budget, Enterprise/Alamo/National • Europcar/Intercar/Goldcar • Hertz/Firefly • Sixt. Hours of operation vary between agencies, but most are open daily from about 6:00AM – 12:00AM.
See Airport Hotels above.
Licensed black taxis are the only taxis allowed to operate at the airport taxi rank, and are available on a 24-hour basis in front of the airport terminal. All licensed black taxis at the airport are wheelchair-accessible and able to transport up to 5 or 7 passengers, with luggage.
Birmingham International Station is linked to the airport by AirRail Link, a free monorail service that runs daily from 3:30AM – 12:30AM (a courtesy bus is in operation between 12:30AM and 2:00AM). AirRail Link runs frequently throughout the day, and total trip time is just 2 minutes. From Birmingham International Station, the following services are available:
- Virgin Trains
- Cross Country
- West Midlands Railway / London Northwestern Railway
- Arriva Train Wales
For more information regarding destinations, schedules and fares visit the airport website.
Last updated: 2020-03-05
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.