Brussels Charleroi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Brussels Charleroi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The best place is close to the arrival and is at the corner on your left when you enter in the airport. -noemi
photo credit: Svitlana
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Brussels Charleroi Airport.
What to Expect
- This is an old, small airport with one simple terminal. One reviewer reported observing malfunctioning equipment at check-in and inefficient airport procedures. Don’t expect much for amenities.
- Airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight travellers who are trying to sleep.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Head to the far end of the terminal with large windows. There’s some cubicles there, and if you hop over the short barrier, you’ll find some private nooks (Petafeta, March 2016).
- There are very few chairs so arrive early to snag one - beware the armrests!
- The floor is not carpeted, so bring blankets or a mat if you plan on sleeping on the cold floor.
- Travellers report that security wakes up overnight guests by 4am when check-in desks begin opening.
- It’s generally quiet overnight.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in one airport lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Brussels Charleroi Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- The Lounge - Location: Airside, in front of Leffe Pub. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (15€) • Book Online (£18.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
WiFi is available at Charleroi Airport. The airport and shuttle bus websites can be accessed for free, but in order to access anything else online, you must pay for WiFi service. For those without mobile devices, internet kiosks are available throughout the airport. An internet corner is located landside for all visitors to the airport.
If sleeping in Charleroi Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ibis Budget Charleroi Aeroport - (15 min walk from the airport) Airport transfers available for a fee.
- Balladins Superior Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle available for a fee
- Best Western Plus Aero 44 - (5 min from the airport) Roundtrip airport shuttle available for a fee
- Hotel South - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle runs from 5:00AM to midnight, upon request.
- Charleroi Airport Hotel - (9 min from the airport) Airport shuttle runs from 4:00AM to midnight, daily, for 4.50 Euro per person, per ride. The shuttle departs the hotel for the airport every 40 minutes, and you can also request pick-up or drop-off directly with the hotel.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Charleroi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATM / Cash machines - Two machines are available landside (before security).
- Baggage Carts - According to a review we received in January 2016, the airport no longer provides baggage carts.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - There is a kid zone available. Location: Airside, beside Leffe Bar.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and we don't know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Currency Exchange - There are two Travelex counters. Locations: Arrivals Hall, Door 4 • Customs Area. Hours: 5:00AM - last departing non-Schengen flight.
- Duty Free & Shopping - International Duty Free shop is located near the boarding gates. Hours: 4:30AM - 9:30PM. Five retail shops are available landside, and a newsstand is located airside.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate from 4:00AM until around 10:00PM or later. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include:
- Landside: Express Snack & Drink • Frit’r • Guapa • Jupiter Bar • Paul
- Airside: Le Bar Leffe • Le Chariot Paul • Méli-Mélo • Oui Shop
- Information Desk - Location: Near Main entrance.. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:30PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Coin-operated storage lockers are available outside, near the taxi rank. Rates, per 24 hour period, are as follows: 5 € (small locker), 7 € (medium locker) and 9 € (large locker). Only Euro coins accepted.
The airport is open 24 hours.
TEC shuttle bus A runs a direct route between the airport and Charleroi-South station, the main bus and train station in Brussels. A one-way fare is €5, and total trip time is 20 minutes. Passengers traveling to the airport by train, can reach the airport from any train station by purchasing a code 814 or 811 single ticket, or a code 815 return ticket. This special ticket includes the train ride to Charleroi-South station and the ride on TEC bus A to the airport. Tickets can also be purchased at the airport terminal, in vending machines located outside of Door 2.
Flibco.com shuttle buses offer an easy and convenient way to travel to Brussels and nearby cities. The Brussels City Shuttle line runs direct from the airport to Brussels city center every 30 minutes, starting at 3:30AM. Additional shuttle lines travel to Lille, Bruges, Ghent, Luxembourg and Metz. The airport drop-off location is in front of terminal Entrance 1.
The following car rental companies are available at the airport: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt. Location: unknown.
Taxis can be found at the airport exit.
Last Updated: 03 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.