Cologne Bonn Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Cologne Bonn Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Sleeping in the Konrad Adenauer Airport of Cologne/Bonn is fine. Especially the older Terminal 1 has excellent benches to sleep on. - Roland
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Cologne Bonn Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with two terminals (Terminals 1 and 2), connected landside by a walkway. Several shops and restaurants are available.
- Some reviewers reported that the airport and staff were not as bilingual as they hoped
- Power outlets are difficult to find
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Check out the observation deck for views of the runway and more!
Where to Sleep
- Opposite the 24-hour airport market is a bar (that closes for the night) with some comfortable chairs where you may be able to catch a few zzz’s.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Cologne Bonn Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Cologne airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Business Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:30PM (Mon - Fri) • 9:00AM - 6:30PM (Sat - Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€18.45) • Book Online (£20.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Departures C. Hours: varied. Lounge Access: Book Online (US$ 42)
Unlimited free WiFi is available throughout the airport. Connect to the “AIRPORT FREE WIFI” network and enter your name on the registration page for access.
If sleeping in Cologne Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Leonardo Hotel Koln Bonn Airport - (300 meters to the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. The hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the terminal or you can use the free shuttle bus, which runs to the airport every 15 mins. For airport pick-up, you can contact the hotel from the courtesy phone at the airport’s information desk. Shuttle picks up at Departure Level C and Arrival Level Terminal 2 Bus Stop 12.
- Airport Hotel by the New Yorker - (2 min from the airport) No airport shuttle, so if you have heavy bags you can take a taxi for about 6 Euro.
- Art of Comfort Hotel Garni Haus Ingeborg - (4 min from the airport) No airport shuttle, but hotel will arrange taxi for airport transfers (about 10 Euro each way).
- Akazienhof Hotel & Brauhaus - (3 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Hotel Karsten Garni - (9 min from the airport) Airport shuttle available from 5:00AM to 10:00PM, upon request.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cologne Bonn Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - The airport visitor service offers tours for groups of 10 people or more. Reservation is required. Tours departure times: 10:00AM, 11:45AM, 1:30PM, and 3:15PM. Duration: 90 minutes. Rate: 5.40€ for adults, 3.30€ for students and senior citizens. Night tours are also available on request. Rate: 13€ per person.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Sparkasse Köln Bonn ATMs are available 24 hours a day in these locations: T1, landside, C Departures • T2, landside, D Departures • T2, landside, D Arrivals A foreign currency ATM is available in T1, landside, B Departures.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Reisebank offers foreign currency exchange. Location: T1, landside, B Departures Hours: 7:00AM - 8:00PM. A foreign currency ATM is available 24 hours a day.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Heinemann Duty Free shops are available airside in T1 (B Departures and Starwalk) and T2 (D Departures). The T1 duty-free shops are open according to flight schedule, while the T2 duty-free shops are open from 5:30AM - 8:30PM. A variety of retail shops are also available, mostly landside.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Bodega (T2, airside, D Departures) • Cafetiero (T2, landside, D Departures) • McDonald’s McCafe (T2, landside, D Departures)
- Information Desk - Location: There are two information desks available. Terminal 1, Landside, B/C Departures • Terminal 2, Landside, D Departures. Both open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - A left luggage facility is available in the airport. Location: T2, railway level Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Massage - Sore muscles? Head to T1 Starwalk (airside) for a massage. Hours: 9:00AM - 7:00PM (Mon - Fri) and 12:00PM - 7:00PM (Sat and Sun).
- Medical Services - Comprehensive and emergency medical and dental services are available in the airport. Location: T1, landside, A/B Departures Hours: 8:00AM - 4:00PM daily (medical clinic) 8:00AM - 6:00PM Mon-Fri and 8:00AM - 4:00PM Sat,Sun (dental clinic).
- Observation Deck - Enjoy panoramic views of the runway, aprons, military and cargo areas of the airport from the Visitors’ Terrace! Location: T1 at “Stern C”. The Visitors’ Terrace can also be reached by elevator near Staircase 4. Hours: 5:00AM - 1:00AM.
- Pharmacy - Location: T1, landside, C Departures Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Post Office - Kirschner Poste. Location: T2, landside, D Arrivals Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Showers - not available
- Supermarket - If you need to pick-up some groceries before heading to your home in Cologne, stop by the Farmhaus Supermarket. Location: T2, Landside, D Arrivals. Hours: Open 24 hours. Over 440 sq meters of fresh food is available for purchase at Rewe City supermarket. Location: T1, Landside, C Departures. Hours: Open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours
Late Night Check-In
The following airlines offer passengers the possibility of checking in the evening before departure. Contact the airlines directly. This is the latest information we have:
|Air Berlin||6:00PM - 8:00PM||T2 / D|
|Condor||6:00PM - 8:00PM||T2 / D|
|Lufthansa||6:00PM - 8:30pm||T1 / C|
|Sun Express & Sun Express Germany||6:00PM - 9:00PM||T2 / D|
|TUIfly||6:00PM - 8:00PM||T2 / D|
Local bus 161 links the airport to Porz Markt in Cologne city center, where connections are available to other local bus lines, as well as the Metro. Buses access a bus stop at T1, and take about 15 minutes to reach Porz Markt, or vice versa. Daily services are available from 5:30AM - 11:30PM, and tickets can be purchased on board from the bus driver. For route maps, schedules and fare information for Bus 161 and the public transportation network in Cologne, visit the KVB - Koeln website.
Airport Express Bus SB60 runs a daily, direct route between the airport and Bonn Hauptbahnhof (central railway station), with departures available every 30 minutes on weekdays, and every 30 - 60 minutes on weekends and public holidays. Total trip time between the airport and Bonn central station is 27 - 32 minutes, depending on direction and traffic conditions. The bus stop for SB60 is located at T1, and tickets can be purchased on board from the driver. For route maps, schedules and fare information for Bus SB60 and other Bonn public transportation, visit the SWB Bus und Bahn website.
In addition to the buses listed above, Cologne is served by long-distances buses, which access the airport’s long-distance coach terminal. The following long-distance coach operators serve Cologne Airport: DeinBus, Eurobus, Eurolines, Megabus, Onebus, Postbus and Sindbad Reisen. Contact your service provider of choice for details and reservations.
The following car rental agencies are located in T2, Level 0, “D” Arrivals: Avis/Budget, Buchbinder/Dollar/Thrifty, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
If you plan to use public transportation during your visit to Cologne, consider buying the KölnCard. KölnCard includes unlimited rides on the public transportation network in Cologne, as well as 50% off on area attractions, restaurants and shops. For one person, a 24-hour card is € 9 and a 48-hour card is € 18. Parties of up to 5 people traveling together can buy a group card for € 19 (24-hour card) or € 38 (48-hour card). KölnCards are sold at the Cologne Tourist Board Service Centre, in many hotels and hostels, at DB ticket machines in areas where the card can be used, some travel and tour agencies and at KundenCenters and KVB service centers. For further information, visit the Köln Tourismus website.
Taxis are available on a 24-hour basis from taxi stands located at T1, to the right of the exits on Level 1, and T2, to the right of the Arrivals area exits. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. The following estimated one-way fares were current at the time of this update: to/from Cologne city center € 27 and to/from Bonn city center € 40. Both locations are about 15 minutes from the airport, in normal traffic conditions.
Cologne/Bonn Airport Station is accessible from T2 at basement level, and attached to the T1/ ”C” check-in area. This station is served hourly by ICE intercity trains, with connections to international trains available at Cologne central railway station. S-Bahn line S13 and regional express train RE8 connect the airport to the central train stations in Cologne and Bonn. Regional express train RE6 offers hourly service between the airport and Düsseldorf Main Station, via central train stations in Cologne and Neuss. For routes, schedules, fares and ticket sales, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last Updated: 15 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.