Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Cologne Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Sleeping in the Konrad Adenauer Airport of Cologne/Bonn is fine. Especially the older Terminal 1 has excellent benches to sleep on. – Roland
CGN Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Cologne Bonn International Airport.
What to Expect
Cologne Airport (Code: CGN) is comprised of two terminals joined by a connecting hall. The airport hosts a small selection of shops, cafes and restaurants on both airside and landside, though passengers report that airside Terminal 1 has far more options than Terminal 2. WiFi is available, but some reviewers report that charging areas are difficult to find. For a more comfortable layover, economy class passengers can get paid access to one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Cologne Airport
Several travellers mention a sleeping hide-away opposite the 24-hour market in Terminal 1 as the best place in the airport to sleep. It reportedly has comfortable leather sofas and is relatively quiet. Both terminals also have armrest-free metal benches located in various spots, should the leather sofas be already taken. A reader (June 2018) recommends sleeping in the piano bar opposite the REWE Supermarket (Terminal 1), the lights are turned off until opening time at 5:00AM and the benches made for a comfy sleep. If you are Airside/Secure Zone, security will ask you to move to the Landside/Public Zone after the last flight. Those seeking uninterrupted sleep can choose from among several nearby airport hotels. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Cologne Airport Guide. You can also read traveller airport reviews or write a review and share photos from your own experience.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Business Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Lufthansa Business Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, airside, Departures C.
If sleeping in the airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near Cologne airport:
- Leonardo Hotel Koln Bonn Airport – (300 meters to the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. The hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the terminal or you can use the free shuttle bus, which runs to the airport every 15 mins. For airport pick-up, you can contact the hotel from the courtesy phone at the airport’s information desk. Shuttle picks up at Departure Level C and Arrival Level Terminal 2 Bus Stop 12.
- Airport Hotel by the New Yorker – (2 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle, so if you have heavy bags you can take a taxi for about 6 Euro.
- Art of Comfort Hotel Garni Haus Ingeborg – (7 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle, but hotel will arrange taxi for airport transfers (about 10 Euro each way).
- Akazienhof Hotel & Brauhaus – (3 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cologne Bonn Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available throughout the airport. Connect to the “AIRPORT FREE WIFI” network and enter your name on the registration page for access.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s Deutsche Poste branch. Location: T2, landside, D Arrivals Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM. Stamps are also available for sale 24 hours at the stamp machine in T1, Landside.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Bodega (T2, airside, D Departures) • Kamps Backstube (T2, Airside, D Departures) • McDonald’s McCafe (T2, landside, D Departures).
- Supermarket – If you need to pick-up some groceries before heading to your home in Cologne, stop by Rewe City Supermarket with over 440 sq meters of fresh food. Location: T1, Landside, C Departures. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit one of the airport information desks for assistance. Locations: Terminal 1, Landside, B/C Departures • Terminal 2, Landside, D Departures. Both open 24 hours.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Cologne and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. Air Marin • Airport Reisemarkt • Alltours • Bye Bye • DER Touristik • Family Star • Fly Cent • 5 vor Flug • FunExpress Touristik • Holimaxx • Immer Urlaub • L’Tur Tourismus • Maxholiday • My Travel Company • Neckermann / Bucher Last Minute • Reisebüro Orange • Reiseland Köln Bonn • Schauinsland Reisen • Sonnenklar TV • SunExpress • Suntimes • TUI • TW International Fly Services.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – A left luggage facility is available in the airport. Location: T2, railway level Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Safe Bag & Fly offers services in T2, D Departures, Landside. Hours: 6:00AM – 7:30PM. Rates: €10 / bag.
- Medical Services – Comprehensive and emergency medical and dental services are available in the airport. Location: T1, landside, A/B Departures. Medical Clinic: Hours: 8:00AM – 4:00PM (Mon – Sun) • Dental Clinic: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon – Fri • 8:00AM – 4:00PM (Sat – Sun).
- Pharmacy – Pick up last-minute medication at Aviator Apotheke. Location: T1, landside, C Departures Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – A reader (September 2018) tells us that after a long search the only outlets found were located Airside by Gate C61, while another reader (January 2019) found some in the McDonalds in Terminal 2 (landside).
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Sparkasse Köln Bonn and Reisebank, are available 24 hours a day. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: T1, landside, B Departures (foreign currency is available) • T1, landside, C Departures (2 banks offer services here) • T2, landside, D Departures • T2, landside, D Arrivals.
- Currency Exchange – Reisebank offers foreign currency exchange. Location: T1, landside, C Departures Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM. A foreign currency ATM is available 24 hours a day.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free shops are available airside in T1 (B Departures and Starwalk) and T2 (D Departures). The T1 duty-free shops are open according to flight schedule, while the T2 duty-free shops are open from 5:30AM – 8:30PM. A variety of retail shops are also available, mostly landside.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Massage – Sore muscles? Head to Muskeltiere at T1 Starwalk (airside) for a massage. Hours: 9:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 12:00PM – 7:00PM (Sat and Sun).
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour for groups of 10 people or more. Reservation is required. Departure Time: 10:00AM, 11:45AM, 1:30PM, and 3:15PM. Tour Duration: 90 minutes. Rates: 5.40€ for adults, 3.30€ for students and senior citizens. Night tours are also available upon request. Rate: 13€ per person.
- Casino – A game room is available from 6:00AM – 1:00AM. Location: T2, D Arrivals.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s Visitors’ Terrace! Location: T1 at “Stern C”. The Visitors’ Terrace can also be reached by elevator near Staircase 4. Hours: 6:30AM – 12:00AM. Rate: free of charge.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Late Night Check-In
The following airlines offer passengers the possibility of checking in the evening before departure. Contact the airlines directly. This is the latest information we have:
|Lufthansa||6:00PM – 8:30PM||T1 / B|
Cologne Bonn airport is served by the following airlines: Air Arabia • Alitalia • Austrian Air • Blue Air • Corendon • easyJet • Eurowings • Freebird • Iran Air • Jet2 • Lufthansa • Nesma Airlines • Pegasus Airlines • Pobeda • Ryanair • Sundair • SunExpress • TUIFly • Turkish Airlines • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Local bus 161 links the airport to Porz Markt in Cologne city center, where connections are available to other local bus lines, as well as the Metro. Airport Express Bus SB60 runs a daily, direct route between the airport and Bonn Hauptbahnhof (central railway station), with departures available every 30 minutes on weekdays, and every 30 – 60 minutes on weekends and public holidays. For route maps, schedules and fare information for Bus SB60 and other Bonn public transportation, visit the SWB Bus und Bahn website.
In addition to the buses listed above, CGN Airport is served by long-distances buses, for more information, visit the Cologne Bonn Airport website.
The following car rental agencies are located in T2, Level 0, “D” Arrivals: Avis/Budget • Buchbinder/Global • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt.
See also Airport Hotels above.
If you plan to use public transportation during your visit to Cologne, consider buying the KölnCard. KölnCard includes unlimited rides on the public transportation network in Cologne, as well as 50% off on area attractions, restaurants and shops. For one person, a 24-hour card is € 9 and a 48-hour card is € 18. Parties of up to 5 people traveling together can buy a group card for € 19 (24-hour card) or € 38 (48-hour card). KölnCards are sold at the Cologne Tourist Board Service Centre, in many hotels and hostels, at DB ticket machines in areas where the card can be used, some travel and tour agencies and at KundenCenters and KVB service centers. For further information, visit the Köln Tourismus website.
Taxis are available on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. The following estimated one-way fares were current at the time of this update: to/from Cologne city center € 27 and to/from Bonn city center € 40. Both locations are about 15 minutes from the airport, in normal traffic conditions.
Cologne/Bonn Airport Station is accessible from T2 at basement level, and attached to the T1/ ”C” check-in area. This station is served hourly by ICE intercity trains, with connections to international trains available at Cologne central railway station. S-Bahn line S13 and regional express train RE8 connect the airport to the central train stations in Cologne and Bonn. For routes, schedules, fares and ticket sales, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last updated: 2020-06-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.