East Midlands Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our East Midlands Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The security staff are the spawn of Satan himself, they delight in letting you just get off to sleep and then they wake you up by shouting at you. -Vince
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at East Midlands Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern passenger terminal, served mostly by international low-cost carrier flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and amenities are available, including 24-hour dining!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers describe the airport as an airport sleeper’s dream, with hassle-free airport security guards, a 24-hour cafe, clean facilities (including an adult changing room!) and warm ambient temperatures in the terminal during winter. One complaint was shared by all, and that is the loud and frequent overhead announcements that go on well into the night. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block it all out and get a good night’s rest!
- You can sleep comfortably in the Departures or Arrivals zones. There’s plenty of padded, armrest-free seats placed in rows of four so you can lay across them. The Departures zone seats have a little more room between each seat, which may be a little annoying if you don’t have a travel mat to lay across them. Also, in certain areas of the Departures zone, the automatic doors brought a draught in, so have a travel blanket handy to stay warm throughout the night!
- For a more comfortable sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our East Midlands Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at East Midlands airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Escape Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 4:30AM - 6:00PM (Mon - Sat) • 4:30AM - 8:00PM (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£25.00) • Book Online (£21.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free internet access is available at the East Midlands Airport for 60 minutes. Connect to the "EMA Public Wifi" network. Beyond the 60 minutes, you can purchase a premium package. Rates: from £5.00 (per hour) • £10.00 (per day) • £30.00 (per month).
If sleeping in East Midlands Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport - (5 min walk from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel.
- Premier Inn East Midlands Airport Hotel - (15 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport Hotel - (15 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel suggest a taxi for approx. £6 each way.
- Radisson Blu Hotel East Midlands Airport - (2 min from the airport) Airport shuttle available for GBP 3 per person, each way. For airport pick-up, use courtesy phone in the Arrivals Hall.
- Travelodge Nottingham East Midlands Airport Donington Park M1 - (3 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near East Midlands Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Aeropark - Learn about past aeronautical technology or observe the modern jets of today at The Aeropark, an aviation museum and viewing area located at the northwest corner of airport property. The Aeropark is run by a group of volunteer aviation enthusiasts, and in addition to the museum, has viewing mounds, a gift shop, and more. This is a great spot for plane-spotting and photography! You will need a vehicle to reach this location. Derby Leicester SKYLINK buses also stop here. Hours: Vary per day and per season. Closed during the winter season, from Nov 1st through Good Friday. Fee: £4.00 per person aged 16 and older.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes located throughout the airport and the Travelex ATMs dispense British Pounds, Euros and US Dollars.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Changing Room - A height-adjustable free-standing adult changing bench and toilet are available on the 1st floor. You’ll need a key to enter the area, which you can pick up from Castle Rock Top Room & Kitchen, also on the 1st floor. Hours: Available 24 hours a day.
- Children's Play Area - Yes
- Currency Exchange - There are 3 Travelex offices located landside and airside.
- Duty Free & Shopping - In additional to a World Duty Free store, you will find an Aviation Gift Centre • Boots • Dixons Travel • Superdrug • WH Smith.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: 3.00 BP. Book on-line.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: Burger King • Castle Rock Top Room & Kitchen • Flat White Coffee Club • Frankie & Benny's • Grab and Fly • Leon • Pork & Pickle.
- Information Desk - Location: Main Terminal Building, Landside.
- Prayer Room - Hours: open 24 hours
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is prohibited inside the airport accept in one designated area which is Airside.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Bus and Coach
Skylink offers 24-hour bus service, with departures available every 20 minutes during the day, and hourly at night. Reservations are not required, and tickets and sold onboard the bus. All buses stop directly in front of the passenger terminal. The following routes are available:
Nottingham Skylink offers direct service to Nottingham and Long Eaton, via East Midlands Airport. Buses stop directly outside of the airport terminal, Friar Lane in Nottingham city center and at Nottingham Broadmarsh Bus Station (Bay 1), which is just a 5 minute walk from Nottingham train station. Total trip time in one direction is 55 minutes. For route map, schedules and fare information, visit the Trent Barton Skylink Nottingham website.
Derby-Loughborough-Leicester Skylink, via East Midlands Airport. Total one-way trip time between the airport and Derby Bus Station (Bay 19) is 40 minutes. In the other direction, the ride between the airport and Loughborough is 25 minutes, and between the airport and Leicester (St. Margaret’s Bus Station) is 53 minutes. There is no service on Christmas or New Year’s Day. For route map, schedules and fare information, visit the Trent Barton Skylink Derby website.
National Express coach service offers direct service to Sheffield, Leeds and select London airports (Luton, Gatwick and Heathrow), as well as through-tickets on Skylink buses to Nottingham, Derby and Leicester. For routes, schedules, fares and ticket sales, visit the National Express website.
Airlink 155 offers hourly service between Castle Donington High Street Bus Station and Coalville Ashby Memorial Square (Stand 1), via East Midlands Airport. Service runs Monday- Saturday only (no service on Good Friday, or other public holidays), and total trip time between the airport and Coalville is about 35 minutes. Adult fare is £2.60 one-way, or £4.90 round trip. For route map, schedule and additional fare information, visit the East Midlands Airport website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and National. Location: Arrivals.
Taxis are available on a 24-hour basis in the ground transportation area of the airport. Prepaid services are available through Arrow Cars, the official taxi service of the airport. Arrow Cars has an office, open 24 hours a day, opposite the Arrivals Area. Credit cards are accepted, and taxis can be pre-booked and paid for online or via smartphone app.
East Midlands Parkway Station is the nearest train station to the airport, linked by bus service.
Last Updated: 09 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.