Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our East Midlands Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The security staff are the spawn of Satan himself, they delight in letting you just get off to sleep and then they wake you up by shouting at you. -Vince
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at East Midlands Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern passenger terminal, served mostly by international low-cost carrier flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and amenities are available, including 24-hour dining!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers describe the airport as an airport sleeper’s dream, with hassle-free airport security guards, a 24-hour cafe, clean facilities (including an adult changing room!) and warm ambient temperatures in the terminal during winter. One complaint was shared by all, and that is the loud and frequent overhead announcements that go on well into the night. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block it all out and get a good night’s rest!
- You can sleep comfortably in the Departures or Arrivals zones. There’s plenty of padded, armrest-free seats placed in rows of four so you can lay across them. The Departures zone seats have a little more room between each seat, which may be a little annoying if you don’t have a travel mat to lay across them. Also, in certain areas of the Departures zone, the automatic doors brought a draught in, so have a travel blanket handy to stay warm throughout the night!
- For a more comfortable sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in East Midlands Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport – (5 minute walk from the airport) No airport shuttle, the hotel suggests a taxi for £6.15 if you are not travelling light.
» Check Rates
- Premier Inn East Midlands Airport Hotel – (15 minute walk from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport Hotel – (15 minute walk from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel suggest a taxi for approx. £6 each way. » Check Rates
- Radisson Blu Hotel East Midlands Airport – (2 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle available for GBP 3 per person, each way. For airport pick-up, use courtesy phone in the Arrivals Hall. » Check Rates
- Travelodge Nottingham East Midlands Airport Donington Park M1 – (3 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near East Midlands Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free internet access is available at the East Midlands Airport for 60 minutes. Connect to the “EMA Public Wifi” network. Beyond the 60 minutes, you can purchase a premium package. Rates: from £5.00 (per hour) • £10.00 (per day) • £30.00 (per month).
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Aeropark – Learn about past aeronautical technology or observe the modern jets of today at The Aeropark, an aviation museum and viewing area located at the northwest corner of airport property. The Aeropark is run by a group of volunteer aviation enthusiasts, and in addition to the museum, has viewing mounds, a gift shop, and more. This is a great spot for plane-spotting and photography! You will need a vehicle to reach this location. Derby Leicester SKYLINK buses also stop here. Hours: Vary per day and per season. Closed during the winter season, from Nov 1st through Good Friday. Fee: £4.00 per person aged 16 and older.
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: unknown. The Travelex ATMs dispense British Pounds, Euros and US Dollars.
Changing Room – A height-adjustable free-standing adult changing bench and toilet are available on the 1st floor. You’ll need a key to enter the area, which you can pick up from Castle Rock Top Room & Kitchen, also on the 1st floor. Hours: Available 24 hours a day.
Children’s Play Area – Yes
Currency Exchange – There are 3 Travelex offices located landside and airside.
Duty Free & Shopping – In additional to a World Duty Free store, you will find an Aviation Gift Centre • Boots • Dixons Travel • Superdrug • WH Smith.
Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: 3.00 BP. Book on-line.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate according to flight schedules. The airport advertises that a selection of food concessions are available 24-hours a day however it is not known which outlets and the locations, plan ahead. Food options include: Burger King • Castle Rock Tap Room & Kitchen • Flat White Coffee Club • Frankie & Benny’s • Grab and Fly • Leon • Pork & Pickle.
Information Desk – Location: Main Terminal Building, Landside.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, write a review or email us at [email protected]
Prayer Room – Hours: open 24 hours
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
Smoking – Smoking is prohibited inside the airport accept in one designated area which is Airside.
Spa Services – Cloud Spa offers a variety of services, some as quick as 15 minutes if you are in a hurry. Location: Airside. Hours: According to flight schedule.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, East Midlands airport is served by the following airlines: Brussels Airlines • American Airlines • Emirates.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Bus and Coach
Skylink offers 24-hour bus service, with departures available every 20 minutes during the day, and hourly at night. Reservations are not required, and tickets are sold onboard the bus. All buses stop directly in front of the passenger terminal. For fares, destinations and schedules, visit the East Midlands Airport website.
The following routes are available:
Nottingham Skylink offers direct service to Nottingham and Long Eaton, via East Midlands Airport. Buses stop directly outside of the airport terminal, Friar Lane in Nottingham city center and at Nottingham Broadmarsh Bus Station (Bay 1), which is just a 5 minute walk from Nottingham train station. Total trip time in one direction is 55 minutes. For route map, schedules and fare information, visit the Trent Barton Skylink Nottingham website.
Derby-Loughborough-Leicester Skylink, via East Midlands Airport. Total one-way trip time between the airport and Derby Bus Station (Bay 19) is 40 minutes. In the other direction, the ride between the airport and Loughborough is 25 minutes, and between the airport and Leicester (St. Margaret’s Bus Station) is 53 minutes. There is no service on Christmas or New Year’s Day. For route map, schedules and fare information, visit the Trent Barton Skylink Derby website.
National Express coach service offers direct service to Sheffield, Leeds and select London airports (Luton, Gatwick and Heathrow), as well as through-tickets on Skylink buses to Nottingham, Derby and Leicester. For routes, schedules, fares and ticket sales, visit the National Express website.
Airlink 155 offers hourly service between Castle Donington High Street Bus Station and Coalville Ashby Memorial Square (Stand 1), via East Midlands Airport. Service runs Monday- Saturday only (no service on Good Friday, or other public holidays), and total trip time between the airport and Coalville is about 35 minutes. Adult fare is £2.60 one-way, or £4.90 round trip. For route map, schedule and additional fare information, visit the East Midlands Airport website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and National. Location: Arrivals.
Taxis are available on a 24-hour basis in the ground transportation area of the airport. Arrow Cars has an office, open 24 hours a day, opposite the Arrivals Area. Credit cards are accepted, and taxis can be pre-booked and paid for online or via smartphone app.
East Midlands Parkway Station is the nearest train station to the airport, linked by bus service (see the Skylink Bus details above).
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.