Geneva Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Geneva Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The only downside was that the cleaning staff woke me up at 5am so that they could clean the spot I was sleeping in. -Eurotrip2011
By Gordon Grams
May 2015 - I will AVOID transferring through Geneva at all costs in the future. I arrived there exhausted after a 24-hour flight delay in Montreal and a 9-hour time zone difference from YVR. There are hundreds of hard empty chairs to sit on, but they all have fixed arms and so there is no place you can put your feet up or lie down. The friendly tourist information desk staff could only suggest I go upstairs to one of the quiet waiting rooms and lie down on the cold, bare floor. I only had a small backpack and no blanket, so this was not an option. Montreal airport, in contrast, had sofa-seating everywhere, and extra benches all along the walls under the windows. How is it that the Swiss would be so inconsiderate of passengers ergonomic needs? I arrived home exhausted and with a swollen leg - something which has never happened before - due to the duress of my 5-hour connection in Geneva. I will NEVER connect through this airport again if I can avoid it.
Have you been to Geneva Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Geneva airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Dnata Skyview Lounge - Location: Main Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 6:00AM - 8:30PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (CHF 45.00) • Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
Dnata Lounge also offers an Early Bird Lounge Pass valid from 6:00AM – 8:00AM for 30CHF
- Horizon Business Lounge - Location: Main Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (CHF 35.00) • Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
- Swiss Business Class Lounge - Location: Main Terminal, Airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:30PM. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
The following airlines also have lounges: Air France • British Airways • Swiss.
Free WiFi is available at Geneva Airport for 90 minutes. Connect to the " “Free_WiFi_GVA” network. You can reconnect after 6 hours for an additional 90 minutes. You can also purchase additional time.
If sleeping in Geneva Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Starling Geneva Hotel and Conference Center - (3 min from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. Free roundtrip airport shuttle runs from 5:10am to 11:45pm daily, every 15 minutes.
- Ibis Geneve Aeroport - (15 min walk or 4 min ride from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 530am - 11:15pm daily.
- Nash Airport Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes, from 5am to 11:30pm. Airport pick-up is at Arrival Level (Gate 4). Day rooms are offered based on availability.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Geneva Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes
- Baby/Children’s Area - Children’s Area includes games, kitchen, baby change facilities and rest area for children. Location: Transit Zone, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Baggage Trolleys - Carts can be found at 83 different locations around the airport. Rate: 2 Swiss francs or 2 Euros coins.
- Children's Play Area - There is a play area located in the transit area between Gates A5 and A8.
- Currency Exchange - Location: Railway Station. Hours: 8am - 8pm
- Dry Cleaning - There is a dry cleaner available offering dry cleaning, ironing, etc. Location: Railway Station. Hours 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 9:00AM – 12:30PM and 1:00PM – 8:00PM (Sat, Sun and Holidays)
- Early Check in - Check in your luggage the day before takeoff at which time you will also receive your boarding card and seat assignment. Location: Railway Station
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Book online before midnight. Cost: 8.00 CHF (approx 8 EU)
- Food & Drinks - There are many food options at this airport, but none are open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There is left luggage office in the CFF train station (Hours: 7:30AM - 8:15PM). Maximum storage time is one month. Rate: CHF 10 per day. Lockers are also available at the CFF train station (Hours: 5:00AM - 11:50PM). Rate: CHF 6-9 per day. Maximum storage time is 3 days.
- Meditation Room - Location: transit area, mezzanine level.
- Pharmacy - Pharmacie Sun Store (Location: Railway Station. Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM) and Pharmacie Principale (Location: Landside, Departures Level. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM).
- Post Office - Locations: Railway Station • Arrivals Level. Hours: unknown.
- Shoe and Phone Repairs - Have your shoes or smart phone repaired or get a new watch battery, all while you wait. Location: Railway Station. Hours 9:00AM – 8:00PM daily.
- Shopping - In addition to duty free stores, there is a variety of stores selling clothing, souvenirs, chocolate, alcohol, books and more.
- Showers - Showers are available in three locations. Locations: Arrivals (landside, near baggage carousel # 6) • Arrivals (landside, near Post office) • Departures (airside, transit area, near the first class/business lounges). Rate: CHF 15 (includes, soap, shampoo and towel). Tokens can be purchased at the Welcome Desk Swissport (Location: arrivals level, near baggage carousel # 2 and 3. Hours: 7:00AM - until last flight) • Information Desk (Location: Landside, Arrivals Area. Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM.) • Nursery (Location: Airside, departures, transit area. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM).
- Smoking - There is a smoking room in the Terminal 1 transit area.
The airport is open 4:00AM - 1200AM (Terminal 1).
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Please note: All buses and trains going from the airport to France pass through Swiss territory. Please be sure to have valid identification and visa, if required.
Several city bus lines run to and from the airport as part of the UNIRESO network. Scheduled coach service for Annecy, Grenoble, Chambery and Lyon is also available directly from the airport. Most regional and international bus lines operate from Geneva coach station (Gare Routiere), a 10-minute walk from Gare Cornavin train station. For more information, visit the Gare Routiere or UNIRESO web sites. Passengers traveling at night can use the Noctambus service, which is part of the UNIRESO network. More information can be found on the Noctambus web site.
Geneva Airport has on-site rental car agencies in both the Swiss and French sectors of the airport. Passengers who need to rent a car in one sector and return it to the other will be charged a fee. The Swiss sector on-site rental agencies are: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, National/Alamo, Sixt and Dollar/Thrifty. The French sector on-site rental agencies are: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
Swiss hotels: Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport • Ibis Geneve Aeroport • Movenpick Hotel & Casino Geneva • Nash Airport Hotel • NH Geneva Airport Hotel • Starling Geneva Hotel & Conference Center.
French hotels: Novotel France • Park & Suites Elegance.
With taxi ranks located at the airport and throughout the city, taxis are readily available in Geneva. Passengers needing a ride to the airport can also hail a taxi on the street or call to request a ride. The fare should be clearly displayed on the taxi’s meter. At the time of this update, fares between the airport and the city range from CHF 35.00 to CHF 45.00 depending on traffic, time of day, number of passengers and the presence of luggage or pets.
Geneva Airport has a train station located under the runway, about 250m from the airport terminal, with direct access to Check-In and Arrivals Levels. All trains leaving from the airport train station go directly to Geneva-Cornavin station (Gare Cornavin) in the city center, about 6 minutes away. Gare Cornavin is serviced by the Swiss rail network and long distance trains from France and Italy. Most Swiss ski resorts can be reached by train from Geneva Airport train station via Gare Cornavin.
UNIRESO Public Transportation System
UNIRESO is Geneva’s public transportation system, which includes travel by train, boat, bus and tram. Only one single ticket is needed to travel on all modes of transportation within the UNIRESO network. Tickets can be purchased from vending machines at the airport, bus stops and some Swiss railway stations (Swiss francs or Euro coins required). Tourists arriving into the airport can pick up a free ticket from the airport vending machine, valid for 80 minutes of travel. Travelers staying in hotels, youth hostels or campsites will receive a Geneva Transport Card, which gives the cardholder free travel on UNIRESO during their entire stay. The following modes of transportation are directly accessible from the airport:
City buses depart the airport for Geneva and France every 8 - 15 minutes from Check-In level, in front of or behind the airport train station.
Trains that operate from the airport and within the cantonment of Geneva are part of the UNIRESO network.
For more information visit the UNIRESO web site.
Last Updated: 27 July 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.