Hamburg Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Hamburg Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The early morning German charter flight crowd can be a bit rambunctious.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Hamburg Airport.
What to Expect
- A large, busy and crowded international airport with two curved-roof terminals (Terminals 1 and 2) and an Airport Plaza, which houses shops, restaurants and other airport services, along with an S-Bahn train station. 24-hour dining is available.
- Lines for check-in and security checkpoints can be long and slow due to the high volume of passengers traveling through the airport.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- The airport closes between 1:00AM - 4:00AM. Travelers will not be able to enter or exit the airport between those hours, so if you plan to spend the night at the airport, arrive before closing. All travelers are restricted to the Arrivals area until the airport reopens.
- There are no benches in the Arrivals area, so your only option for sleeping is on the cold, hard floor.
- Have a sleeping bag or travel mat and blanket handy for added comfort and warmth.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to the airport and other hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Hamburg Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Hamburg airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Airport Lounge - Location: Airport Plaza, Airside, Level 3 (Gallery Level). Showers are available. Hours: 5:15AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (EUR 35) • Book Online
- Lufthansa Business Lounge - Location: Terminal 2 , Airside, departure area, restaurant level. Hours: 6:15AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (EUR 39 - day pass)
Free WiFi is available at Hamburg Airport for one hour. Connect to the “HAM AIRPORT FREE WIFI” network. Additional time can be purchased.
In addition, internet kiosks are available in the following locations: T2, landside, Arrivals (printer available) • Pier (at Gates A20 - A18), airside, Level 1 • Pier (at Gate A/B37), airside, Level 1 • Pier (at Gate A21 - A26), airside, Level 1. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM.
If sleeping in Hamburg Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Radisson Blu Hotel Hamburg Airport - Connected to Airport Plaza via pedestrian bridge, both airport terminals are within 100 meters walk from the hotel.
- Courtyard Hamburg Airport - (7 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle upon request.
- Kocks Hotel Garni - (10 minute from the airport) Free airport shuttle is provided one-way, the second ride costs 4,00€.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Hamburg Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Model Exhibition -
A miniature version of the Hamburg Airport. You will get to see every detail of Hamburg Airport, with all its buildings, taxiways, runways and landing strips, on a scale of 1:500.
Rate: € 4.50 (adults). Shows: daily at 10:00AM, 12:00PM, 2:00PM, and 4:00PM without prior booking. Duration of the show: approx. 45 minutes
- Airport Office - Get the answers to your general questions about the airport or your flight, make a hotel reservation, deposit keys and documents, send a fax, make copies and more at the Airport Office. Location: Airport Plaza, Arrivals Level.
- Airport Tours - The airport offers tours of the Fire Brigrade and the Apron. Reservations required. Departure Times: 10:00AM and 1:30PM. Duration: 150 minutes. Rate: € 12,00 (adults) and € 8,00 (child up to age 14)
- Art in the Airport - A rotating exhibit featuring the works of regional artists is on display at a designated area between Gates C09 - C14.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available landside and airside
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Casino - The Spiel-In Casino is Hamburg Airport's "little Las Vegas". Location: Terminal 1, Level 2, Landside. Hours: 12:00PM - 12:00AM
- Children's Play Area - Location: Terminal 1, Level 3, Airside • Terminal 2, Level 3, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Location: Terminal 1, Level 0, Landside • Pier Gate C08, Airside • Pier Gate B20, Airside • Baggage Claim, Level 0, Airside. Hours: 5:45AM - 8:45PM.
- Dentist - Have a toothache? Complete preventative, maintenance, and urgent dental treatment is available at tryDent. Location: Airport Plaza, landside, House D/Level 2. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon,Tues) 9:00AM - 8:00PM (Wed,Thurs) 8:00AM - 1:00PM (Fri).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Heinemann Duty Free is available airside in these locations: Pier (Gate A20), Level 1 (Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM) • Airport Plaza, Level 1 (Hours: 4:30AM - 9:30PM). A variety of over 40 retails shops is available landside and airside throughout the airport. Most landside shops are open from 9:00AM - 9:00PM, and most airside shops are open from 6:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Scoom (T1, Arrivals)
- Laundry - If you will be in the airport for a hours and need some laundry done, you can go to ZWO24Textilpflege located in Terminal 1, Level 0, Landside. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Enjoy a hands-free layover! Store your baggage and items in Left Luggage at the following rates: 3 € per calendar day for a regular suitcase, 5 € per calendar day for oversized luggage or items (surfboards, bicycles, etc.) or 4 € per week for a small item (knives, documents, etc.). Location: T2, Departures. Hours: 4:30AM - 11:00PM.
- Luggage Trolleys - Trolleys are available in front of the terminal and in the parking lots. A refundable deposit of 1 € or 0.50 € is required.
- Massage - Traditional Chinese and Western massage and acupuncture treatments are available at the Chi-Mas Institute. Location: Pier (at Gates A20/C15), Level 1 (Departures, security-controlled area). Hours: 7:30AM - 8:30PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Sat) 9:00AM - 8:30PM (Sun).
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical treatment is available at the German Red Cross (DRK) medical centre. Location: unknown, ask airport staff for assistance. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Observation Deck - Location: there are 3 access points (1) adjoining the Model Exhibition (2) Terminal 1, HMS Host Terrace (3) Terminal 2, Mövenpick Terrace. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM.
- Pharmacy - Metropolitan Pharmacy - Location: Airport Plaza, Level 0 (Arrivals). Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 8:00AM - 9:00PM (Sat & Sun).
- Prayer Room - Location: Terminal 1, Level 2, behind the travel agents' hall. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Showers - Feel refreshed after a long flight with a nice hot shower! A shower fee of €3,50 includes shampoo. If a towel is required there is an additional fee of €10,00. Location: Airport Plaza, Arrivals Level • T2, Arrivals Level.
- Strollers - Parents or small children can receive a free stroller to use until they board the flight. Pick-up at the Hamburg Airport Livery, Airside.
- Supermarket - If you are a local resident who would like to grab some essential groceries before returning home from the airport, the Edeka supermarket sells fruits, vegetables, bakery goods, drinks and more. Location: Arrivals Level, Airport Plaza. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- VAT Refund - Location: Global Blue, Airside, Level 1, Pier (near Gate A20).
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following car rental agencies are located in the Terminal 2, Level 0, Arrivals Hall: Avis/Budget, Buchbinder/Global Drive, Enterprise/Alamo/National, Europcar, Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty and Sixt.
If you plan to use public transportation during your visit to Hamburg, consider buying the Hamburg Card. The Hamburg Card includes unlimited rides on the public transportation network in Hamburg, as well as a discount of up to 50% off on area attractions, restaurants and shops. Price for the Hamburg Card starts at €9.90 for a 1-day card, or €21.50 for a 1-day Hamburg Card plus regional. Additional days can be added to either card. The Hamburg Card is sold at The Airport Office (located in Arrivals), Hamburg Tourist Information Offices, HVV service points and ticket machines, in many hotels and hostels, some travel and tour agencies and online. For further information, visit the Hamburg Tourismus website.
Taxis are available, on a 24-hour basis, at taxi stands located in front of Terminals 1 and 2. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Fares can be negotiated with the driver for any trips to or from locations outside of Hamburg.
Hamburg Airport railway station is located directly across from the passenger terminals, served by the S-Bahn S1 line. Trains depart every 10 minutes for the 25-minute trip between the airport and Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (main railway station). Connection to the U-Bahn U1 line available at the Ohlsdorf stop. For route maps, schedules and fares for the Hamburg public transportation network, visit the HVV website.
@AirportSleeper Hamburg's airport was fine. By Gate 72 they have reclining seats! And a coffee bar is right in front of u, w/bathrooms!— PenGwen (@PenGwenart) March 22, 2015
Last Updated: 22 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.