Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Hamburg Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The early morning German charter flight crowd can be a bit rambunctious. – a traveller
HAM Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Hamburg Airport .
What to Expect
Hamburg Airport (code: HAM) consists of two large, interconnected terminals. The airport plaza, located between the two terminals, houses shops restaurants and other airport services, though eateries and shops can also be found on the airside, and 24-hour dining is available. As Hamburg Airport is quite busy, expect long lines for check in and security. WiFi is available, and comfort can be found through fee-based access to the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Hamburg Airport
The airport is officially closed between 1:00AM and 4:00AM, and travellers are not allowed into the airport between these hours. Those travellers already in the airport at this time are restricted to the arrivals area until the facilities re-open in the morning. There are no benches in the arrivals area, so floor sleeping is the only option. Those considering sleeping here overnight should have a travel mat and/or sleeping bag for added comfort. A traveller reported having some luck sleeping on the couches at the Scoom sandwich shop, though that area was closed down for cleaning between 2:00AM and 4:00AM. For uninterrupted sleep there is an airport hotel, as well as other hotels nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Airport Lounge – Location: Airport Plaza, Airside, Level 3 (Gallery Level). Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
The Emirates Lounge (Location: Airport Plaza, Airside) • Lufthansa Senator Lounge (Location: Terminal 2, Airside) • Lufthansa Business Lounge (Location: Terminal 2, Airside).
If sleeping in Hamburg Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
At Airport Radisson Blu Hotel Hamburg Airport – Connected to Airport Plaza via pedestrian bridge, both airport terminals are within 100 meters walk from the hotel. » Check Rates
Near Airport Leonardo Inn Hotel Hamburg Airport – (500 m from the International Terminal) The hotel is within walking distance or take the free airport shuttle upon request. » Check Rates
Near Airport Ibis Hamburg Airport – (5 minute from the airport) The hotel is approximately 20 minute walk or a 8€ taxi ride. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Hamburg Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Hamburg Airport for 24 hours. Connect to the “HAM AIRPORT FREE WIFI” network.
In addition, internet kiosks are available in the following locations: T2, landside, Arrivals (3 workstations and a printer available) • Pier (at Gates A20 – A18), airside, Level 1 • Pier (at Gate A/B37), airside, Level 1 • Pier (at Gate A21 – A26), airside, Level 1. Hours: 4:00AM – 12:00AM. There is a 1 hour time limit.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Area – Location: Terminal 1, Level 3, Airside • Terminal 2, Level 3, Airside.
- Strollers – Parents or small children can receive a free stroller to use until they board the flight. Pick-up at the Hamburg Airport Livery, Airside.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Water dispensers are available Landside (Baggage Claim 4 and 7) and Airside (Gate B53 and C07).
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Scoom (T1, Arrivals)
- Supermarket – If you are a local resident who would like to grab some essential groceries before returning home from the airport, the Edeka supermarket sells fruits, vegetables, bakery goods, drinks and more. Location: Arrivals Level, Airport Plaza. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Airport Office – Get the answers to your general questions about the airport or your flight, make a hotel reservation, deposit keys and documents, send a fax, make copies and more at the Airport Office. Location: Airport Plaza, Arrivals Level.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Hamburg and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, visit the airports Travel Market with over 20 travel agencies to assist you.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Store your baggage and items in Left Luggage at the following rates: A 3 € processing fee applies in addition to the per baggage rates: 4 € per calendar day for a small suitcase • 5 € per day for a regular suitcase • 8 € per calendar day for oversized luggage • Rates available for extra-large bags, surfboards, golf bags, key storage, etc. Location: T2, Departures. Hours: 4:30AM – 11:00PM.
- Luggage Trolleys – Trolleys are available in front of the terminal and in the parking lots. A refundable deposit of 1 € or 0.50 € is required.
- Luggage Wrapping – Services are available in the check-in area. Rates: Unknown.
- Dental Services – Have a toothache? Complete preventative, maintenance, and urgent dental treatment is available at tryDent. Location: Airport Plaza, landside, House D/Level 2. Hours: 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon,Tues) 9:00AM – 8:00PM (Wed), 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Thurs) and 8:00AM – 1:00PM (Fri).
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical treatment is available at the German Red Cross (DRK) medical centre. Location: Terminal 2, Departures Bed. Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Pharmacy – Metropolitan Pharmacy – Location: Airport Plaza, Level 0 (Arrivals). Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon – Fri) • 8:00AM – 9:00PM (Sat & Sun).
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us there are power outlets for mobile charging close to each gate and inside the lounge.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – Location: Terminal 1, Departures Level • Pier Gate C08, Airside • Pier Gate A20, Airside • Baggage Claim, Level 0, Airside. Hours: 5:45AM – 8:45PM.
- Prayer Room – Location: Terminal 1, Level 2, behind the travel agents’ hall. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free is available airside in these locations: Pier (Gate A20), Level 1 (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM) • Airport Plaza, Level 1 (Hours: 4:30AM – 9:30PM). A variety of over 40 retails shops is available landside and airside throughout the airport. Most landside shops are open from 9:00AM – 9:00PM, and most airside shops are open from 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- VAT Refund – Location: Global Blue, Airside, Level 1, Pier (near Gate A20).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Massage – Traditional Chinese and Western massage and acupuncture treatments are available at the Chi-Mas Institute. Location: Pier (at Gates A20/C15), Level 1 (Departures, security-controlled area). Hours: 7:30AM – 8:30PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Sat) 9:00AM – 8:30PM (Sun). Rates: Prices start at €15,00 for 10 minutes.
- Showers – Feel refreshed after a long flight with a nice hot shower! A shower fee of €5,00 includes shampoo. If a towel is required there is an additional fee of €10,00. Location: Airport Plaza, Arrivals Level • T2, Arrivals Level..
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated smoking cabins both Landside and Airside.
Things to do & see
- Airport Model Exhibition – A miniature version of the Hamburg Airport. You will get to see every detail of Hamburg Airport, with all its buildings, taxiways, runways and landing strips, on a scale of 1:500. Rate: € 4.50 (adults). Shows: daily at 10:00AM, 12:00PM, 2:00PM, and 4:00PM without prior booking. Duration of the show: approx. 45 minutes.
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour.Visit the Fire Brigrade and the Apron. Reservations required. Departure Time: 10:00AM and 1:30PM. Tour Duration: 150 minutes. Rate: € 12,00 (adults) and € 8,00 (child up to age 14).
- Art in the Airport – A rotating exhibit featuring the works of regional artists is on display at a designated area between Gates C09 – C14.
- Casino – The Spiel-In Casino is Hamburg Airport’s “little Las Vegas”. Location: Terminal 1, Level 2, Landside. Hours: 12:00PM – 12:00AM.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: there are 3 access points (1) adjoining the Model Exhibition (2) Terminal 1, HMS Host Terrace (3) Terminal 2, Mövenpick Terrace. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
Other Airport Services
- Laundry – If you will be in the airport for a hours and need some laundry done, you can go to ZWO24Textilpflege located in Terminal 1, Level 0, Landside. Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Hamburg airport is served by the following airlines: Adria • Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air China • Air Europa • Air France • Air Malta • Air Serbia • ANA • American Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Blue Air • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgarian Air Charter • Cathay Pacific • China Eastern • Condor • Corendon Airlines • Croatia Airlines • Czech Airlines • Delta • easyJet • Emirates • Eurowings • Finnair • Fly Egypt • Freebird • HOP! • Iberia • Icelandair • Iran Air • Japan Airlines • KLM • Korean Air • Laudamotion • Level • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Meridiana • Norwegian • Nouvelair • Onur Air • Pegasus Airlines • Qantas • Qeshm Air • Rhein Neckar Air • Rossiya • Ryanair • Singapore Airlines • SAS • South African Airlines • Sundair • Sun Express • Swiss • Sylt Air • Tailwind • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Thai Air • TUIFly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Vueling • Wideroe • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The following car rental agencies are located in the Terminal 2, Level 0, Arrivals Hall: Avis/Budget, Buchbinder/Global Drive, Enterprise/Alamo/National, Europcar, Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty and Sixt.
If you plan to use public transportation during your visit to Hamburg, consider buying the Hamburg Card. The Hamburg Card includes:
- Unlimited rides on the public transportation network in Hamburg
- Discounts of up to 50% off on area attractions, restaurants and shops
- Price for the Hamburg Card starts at €10,50 for a 1-day card, or €21.90 for a 1-day Hamburg Card plus regional
- Additional days can be added to either card
Hamburg Cards are sold at The Airport Office (located in Arrivals), Hamburg Tourist Information Offices, HVV service points and ticket machines For further information, visit the Hamburg Tourismus website.
See Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are available 24-hour a day at taxi stands located in front of Terminals 1 and 2. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Fares can be negotiated with the driver for any trips to or from locations outside of Hamburg.
Hamburg Airport railway station is located directly across from the passenger terminals, served by the S-Bahn S1 line. Trains depart every 10 minutes for the 25-minute trip between the airport and Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (main railway station). Connection to the U-Bahn U1 line available at the Ohlsdorf stop. For route maps, schedules and fares for the Hamburg public transportation network, visit the HVV website.
Last updated: 2020-06-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.