Helsinki Vantaa Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Helsinki Vantaa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Some backpackers had spent the night at the 24 hour McDonalds. They had not gotten much sleep and had to buy periodic Big Macs. -a traveller
photo credit: Helsinki Vantaa Airport
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Helsinki Airport.
What to Expect
- HEL is divided in Terminals 1 and 2; they are internally connected. T1 is Schengen-zone flights, and T2 is everything else.
- Some travellers report security check closes before 9pm. If you have an early morning flight, check to see what time you can drop-off your bag. You may be able to pass through security at night.
- Several food and beverage spots are open 24-hours.
- Free unlimited WiFi is available. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- There are more places to sleep Airside than Landside, so arrive early to get through security. Check with your airline to see what you can drop off your bags.
- GoSleep Sleeping pods are available between Terminals 1 and 2. The pods include a place for hand luggage and charging phones. See Airport Hotels below for more info.
- For a quiet room, visit Kainuu Room near Gate 31 (Airside). Feel free to spread out on the carpet, and there are two long recliners you can also nap on.
- Many gates have reclining chairs and long benches making it perfect for sleeping.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels at the airport. See Airport Hotels below for more info.
Good to Know
- There are plenty of charging stations throughout airport.
- Showers are available in the lounges.
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of many airport lounges with the purchase of a lounge pass or membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Helsinki Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Helsinki Vantaa airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Almost@Home Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate 32. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (48€)
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd Floor, Gates 27-28. Showers are available ($). Hours: 5:30 - 8:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£22.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Finnair Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 3rd Floor, Gate 22. Schengen Zone. Hours:5:30AM - 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Finnair ticket-holders can pay at the Door (€48,00).
- Finnair Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Gate 36. Non-Schengen Zone. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Finnair ticket-holders can pay at the Door (€48,00).
Free WiFi is available at Helsinki Vantaa Airport for an unlimited time period. Connect to the ”HEL FreeWiFi-Open www.finavia.fi” network.
Additionally, there are six desktop computer stations with internet access available at the eService Bar. Location: Airside, Gate 20. Hours: open 24 hours. You can also head to the Suvanto work and rest station which provide a quiet place to work and allow you to charge up your electronics as well. Locations: Gate 16-17, Gate 18-19 and Gate 37.
If sleeping in Helsinki Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and connected to the airport:
- GLO Hotel Vantaa Airport - Location: Terminal 2, landside, on the ground floor under the Arrivals Hall 2B. There is also direct indoor access to Terminal 1. Day rooms are available between the hours 9:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Hilton Helsinki-Vantaa Airport - (3 min walk from the airport) Connected to the main terminal by a covered walkway. Day rooms are available 9:00AM -7:00PM.
- GoSleep Pods - Sleeping chair/pod equipped with a cover to block light/noise and storage under the seat to secure personal items. Electronic devices can be recharged inside the unit. Pods can be used for 1 hour or longer. Location: Airside, Gates 31. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates from 6,50 (1 hour) • 18,00€ (3 hours - basic package) • 35,00€ (5 hours - standard package) • 39,90€ (No Limit - all inclusive package). As of September 2016, the pods are Free of Charge from 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Thanks to Moira for the tip!) Blankets and pillows are included with the standard and all-inclusive packages. Otherwise the rental rates are Pillow (3,00€), Blanket (3,00€) and Water (2,50€).
There are free hotel buses that depart from platform 11 (Terminal 2) and platform 9 (Terminal 1). The bus stops at: Bonus Inn Airport Hotel • Best Western Hotel Pilotti • Cumulus Airport • Holiday Inn Helsinki Vantaa • Rantasipi Airport Hotel
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Helsinki-Vantaa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - If you would like to see how the airport operates, you can book a tour of the airport. Times and rates are unavailable.
- Art in the Airport - In addition to the rotating exhibits in the gallery at Gate 37 (open 24 hours), photo exhibits, sculptures, paintings and aviation-themed installations are on display throughout the airport. Monthly themes are offered.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Otto ATM Location: Gate 26. ChangeGroup ATMs dispense foreign currency. Here are the locations: Gate 14 (Euro, DKK, SEK) • Gate 21 (Euro, GBP, USD) • Gate 22-23 (Euro, SEK) • T2, landside, Arrivals Hall 2A (unknown). All ATMs in the airport are available 24 hours.
- Barber - Salon Fly Hair Location: WTC, downstairs corridor Hours: 10:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon-Fri) • M Room Men’s Barber Location: T2, landside, Arrivals Hall 2A Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Sat) 12:00PM - 6:00PM (Sun).
- Book Swap - If you've just finished a book and would like to read another, you can swap books at the Book Swapping Station in the Kainuu Lounge. Location: Airside, Gate 31. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Room - Toys, games, changing tables, microwave, seating and private restrooms are available inside the airport’s four brightly colored play rooms. Runway views are available from the playroom at Gate 20! Locations: Gate 16 • 20 • 30 • 38 (non-Schengen) Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Currency Exchange - ChangeGroup foreign exchange kiosks can be found in these locations:
- Landside: T2, Check-In area 201-232 • T2, Check-In area 240-271 • T2, Arrivals Hall 2A • T2, Arrivals Hall 2B.
- Airside: Gate 15 • Gate 26 • Gate 32
- Foreign currency ATMs are listed in “ATMs / Cash Machines” above.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available in T1 (Gates 13-14) and T2 (Gates 23, 32 and 36). A wide variety of retail shops, selling everything from books to local delicacies, are available throughout the airport. If you need a magazine, a souvenir or a quick snack, there are four R-kioski newsstands available both landside and airside.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Cafe Tori (T2, airside, Gates 26-27) • Nordic Kitchen (T2, airside, Gate 35) • Ulappa (T2, Departures Level - kitchen is open 10:00AM - 7:00PM and the restaurant is open 24 hours). A 24-hour grocery store, Alepa, is located landside in T2 Arrivals Hall 2B. Drink vending machines are available throughout the airport.
- Game Area - Head Airside, to Gate 37 to burn off some pre-flight energy. Games include air hockey, table soccer and a dancing game. 1,00€ - 2,00€ per game.
- Information Desk - Location: On the arrivals level, in the corridor between Terminals 1 and 2. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Lockers are available landside, on the ground floor of T1 and T2. Rate: €5 for a small locker (56cm x 56cm x 28cm) or €6 for a large locker (86cm x 78cm x 36cm) per 24-hour period. The maximum storage time is 7 days. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Mail Box - Location: Terminal 2, Landside, Check-in Level.
- Medical Services - Mehiläinen Airport Clinic Location: On the outside of T2.
- Mobile Charging - Recharging units are located at Gates 11, 18–19, 20, 21, 25, 27, 31, 32A, 32, 33, 37 and 38. You can also head to one of the Suvanto work and rest stations, which offer a quiet place to work and relax. You’ll find comfortable seating, laptop tables and recharging stations for different electronic devices. Locations: Gate 16-17, Gate 18-19 and Gate 37. At Gate 21, you’ll find additional laptop tables, long benches for lying down and power outlets hanging from the ceilings. Power outlets are also located amongst the airport’s cafes and restaurants.
- Museum - Over 80 aircraft, plus aviation-themed exhibits, are on display at the Finnish Aviation Museum. Location: The museum is a 20 - 25 minute walk from the terminal building, or you can take a taxi (around € 7) Hours: 10:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon, Tues, Thurs-Sun) Open until 8:00PM on Wednesday.
- Observation Deck - Fascinating views of Runways 1 and 2, as well as the apron, can be seen from the Scenic Terrace. When the outdoor portion of the terrace is closed during the winter months, you can stay warm inside the indoor portion of the terrace, which has vending machines and the same great views. Location: Lentäjäntie 1 C, 6th floor - 150m from T2, on top of the blue glass office building. Exit the terminal via Arrivals Hall 2B and walk along the covered walkway towards the Hilton Hotel, following the windsock signs. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM Rate: Free entry
- Pharmacy - Buy health and beauty products and get your prescriptions filled at the airport pharmacy. Location: T2, landside, Arrivals Hall 2A Hours: 6:30AM - 9:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 7:00PM (Sat) 10:00AM - 9:00PM (Sun). You can also buy health and beauty products (but no prescription meds) at the smaller pharmacy service point. Location: T2, airside, Gate 27 Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Sun-Fri) 5:00AM - :30PM (Sat).
- Relax Lounge - Head to the Relax and Feelgood Lounge where they offer a variety of massage services to get you ready to fly. Location: Airside, Gate 28. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM, every day.
- Rest Zone - The Kainuu Lounge is a space that is open to all passengers who are looking to a quiet place to rest and relax between flights. They don't offer much in terms of seating, but apparently laying on the carpeted floor is comfortable. Location: Airside, Gate 31. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Aspire Lounge for a fee above the standard entrance fee.
- Smoking Areas - Smoking Areas - Ventilated smoking areas in the airport: Gates 12, 19, 29 (3rd floor), 36, 37.
- Spa - Finnair Spa & Saunas features 4 saunas, mineral water pool and number of different treatments designed especially for wellness of travellers. Open only to guests of the Finnair lounge. Location: Airside, Gate 36. Hours: 10:00AM - 11:00PM
- Weddings - If you would like to have the convenience of boarding a plane to fly to your honeymoon shortly after exchanging vows, there is nowhere more convenient than the airport. At Helsinki-Vantaa airport, wedding ceremonies are held in the Congress VIP Lounges in Terminal 2.
- Work & Rest Station - Suvanto Work & Rest Stations offer a quiet place to work and relax while you wait for your flight. You’ll find comfortable seating, laptop tables and recharging stations for different electronic devices. Locations: Gate 16-17, Gate 18-19 and Gate 37 Rate: Free to use!
The airport is open 24 hours.
The number of bus connections and the frequency of service to and from the airport is changing due to the opening of the Ring Rail Line. Finnair City Bus and Bus 615 are expected to regular service between the airport and Helsinki City Center railway station. To check current local bus fares and schedules, go to the Helsinki Region Transport website. Information for regional and long-distance buses is available on the Matkahuolto website. Bus stops are located in front of the airport terminals.
Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt are located in the corridor between Terminals 1 and 2. Hours of operation vary between the agencies.
The following hotels provide a free airport shuttle service: Bonus Inn Airport Hotel • Best Western Airport Hotel Pilotti • Cumulus Airport • Holiday Inn Helsinki-Vantaa Airport • Rantasipi Airport Hotel. Shuttle bus stops are located at Terminal 1 (platform 10) and Terminal 2 (platform 21). Sokos Hotel Vantaa and Sokos Hotel Flamingo are accessible by local bus.
A free airport bus circulates between the parking areas and terminals every 15 minutes, from 3:30AM - 1:30AM.
Taxi stands are located outside of the Arrivals areas of both terminals. A trip to central Helsinki takes about 30 minutes, and at the time of this update costs about €45 - €50. Fixed fare shared taxis, charter taxis and other special services are available at the airport.
The newly opened Ring Rail Line provides a train connection between the airport, central Helsinki and the rest of the country. Trains depart every 10 - 20 minutes, with varying daily hours of operation. Single, internal and regional tickets can be purchased from vending machines on the platform, using a chip card for payment. Internal tickets, good for all HSL transportation in Vantaa for up to 60 minutes from moment of purchase, cost €3. Regional tickets, good for all HSL transportation within Helsinki, Vantaa, Espoo and Kauniainen up to 90 minutes from purchase, cost €5. The HSL ticket vending machine located at the Terminal 2 bus stop accepts both cash and chip card. For more information on the Ring Rail Line, go to the Helsinki Region Transport website.
At the time of this update (October 2015), construction on the train station’s direct entrance to the airport terminal was not yet complete, so passengers can take a free shuttle bus that runs between the terminals and the western entrance on Tietotie. Shuttles depart every 5 - 10 minutes between 6:00AM - 11:00PM from Terminal 1 (platform 12) and Terminal 2 (platform 25).
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.