Heraklion Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Heraklion Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
my god was it fun! I got stuck in this lift trying to get to Pizza Hut so i recommend the stairs! -Lawrence
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Nikos Kazantzakis International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport, served mainly by seasonal flights. A limited variety of shopping and dining options are available. There are only two restaurants available airside, and they are the same restaurant.
- Food concessions are expensive at this airport. One reviewer reported receiving an undercooked hamburger, and advised to eat elsewhere before coming to the airport.
- WiFi is is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Uncomfortable plastic seats in the lounge areas.
Where to Sleep
- There are a couple of old couches on the upper floor, landside near the food court. Overnight stays are common at this airport, so try to snag one if they are unoccupied.
- Have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out those bright airport lights and loud overhead announcements that go on well into the night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Heraklion Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Heraklion airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Filoxenia Lounge - Location: Landside, 1st Floor, Departures Hall, opposite the Swissport Check-in. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£27.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Evropi Lounge - Location: Airside, 1st Floor, Extra-Schengen, 1st Floor. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£22.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Heraklion Airport. Internet access is also available at the cafe on the ground floor.
If sleeping in Heraklion Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sofia Hotel - (4 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel advises against walking due to the high volume of traffic. A taxi is approx. 10,00€.
- Prince of Lillies - (6 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available upon request. Cost is approx. 10,00€ each way.
- Pasiphae Hotel - (7 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel suggests the bus which stops directly in front of the hotel and costs 1,00€.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Heraklion Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Piraeus Bank and National Bank ATMs are available in the airport.
- Baby Care Facilities - A "baby room" is located in the Departures Terminal, on the ground floor.
- Car Rentals - The following car rental companies are available at the airport: Avis • Budget • Eurodollar • Europcar • Holiday • Rental • Hertz • National • Sixt
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available, along with a limited variety of retail shops.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. The airport has one restaurant, five bars, and an ice cream shop. At the time of this update, we were not able to confirm the availability of 24-hour dining.
- Information Desk - An information desk is located in the the Arrivals Area. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage - Location: At the airport car park. Hours: open 24 hours daily. Rates: a small fee in Euros is required.
- Luggage Wrapping - Location: Departures Terminal, Ground Floor.
- Medical Services - The Airport Medical Center is open 24 hours a day.
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.