Istanbul Ataturk Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Istanbul Ataturk Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Metal seats make it quite drafty, so buy a newspaper to spread over the seats and get a coat out of your luggage before putting it in storage. -Polonius
I had twenty hours between flights from Tashkent to NY so I saw Istanbul during the day and returned to the airport at night to sleep and catch my flight out in the morning. I watched part of a Turkish soccer qualifier at an airport bar and then moved up to the main level where i was able to spread out on a few seats. There were several families nearby doing the same thing. I was woken once by a cleaning lady who was quite nice and apologetic and security didn't care that i was there sleeping. The guy at customs did get a kick when he asked me where i spent the night and i pointed to a corner of the airport. Wouldn't hesitate to sleep there again.
Have you been to Istanbul Ataturk Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Istanbul Ataturk airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Primeclass Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Comfort Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Mezzannine Level. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- HSBC Club Lounge - Location: International Terminal, airside, 2nd floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Primeclass Lounge - Location: International Terminal, airside, above the food court. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
WiFi is available at Istanbul Ataturk Airport in the Arrivals and Departures Terminals for a fee.
If sleeping in Istanbul Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- TAV Istanbul International Airport Hotel - Located inside the terminal in two sections (landside and airside). The airside location is located on the right after the passport control point at the departure floor of the international terminal. The landside is located next to the VIP Lounge in the international terminal. The airside location provides hourly rates and is not for passengers transiting from domestic to international flights, or vice versa. Guests for airside location must present boarding card at check-in. Hourly rates are offered in 3 hour blocks. Airside rates from € 95 (single) / € 110 (double) for up to 3 hours. For 15-24 hours, the rates are € 195 (single) / € 220 (double) plus VAT.
- WOW Airport Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 6:30am to 10:30pm.
- WOW Istanbul Hotel- (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 6:30am to 10:30pm.
- Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel Istanbul - (8 min from the airport) Located adjacent to the airport. Free shuttle available from 5:30am to 1am. Shuttle leaves on the hour from the hotel to the airport, and every half-hour from the airport to the hotel.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Ataturk Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are 30 ATMS located throughout the airport.
- Currency Exchange - There are 5 currency exchange offices located on the Departures Floor, Landside • Arrivals Hall, Airside • Arrivals Floor Landside.
- Food & Drinks - There are several food concessions that are open 24 hours. I've listed them below:
»International - Landside: Caffe Nero • Starbucks • Simit Sarayı Mobil
»International - Airside: Restro • Caffe Nero • Simit Sarayı • Cakes & Bakes • Turcuisine • The Greenport • Starbucks • Coca Cola Cafe • Millenium Lounge • Coca Cola Bus Gate
»Domestic - Landside: no 24 hour food/beverage options
»Domestic - Airside: Kokpit Cafe • Tadinda Anadolu • Starbucks • C&B
- Information Desks - Locations: International Terminal, Landside, Arrivals Floor and Departures Floor • International Terminal, Airside, Transit Area • Domestic Terminal, Landside, Arrivals and Departures Floor. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Layover Tours - Turkish Airlines provides free sightseeing tours to travellers with a layover 6 - 24 hours in duration. Visit the Hotel Desk in the International Arrivals terminal at least 30 minutes before the tour starts. Tours take place from 9am – 3pm, 9am – 6pm and noon – 6pm daily. Read our blog post "Top 6 Airports Offering Free Layover Tours!" for more info.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: International Terminal, Arrivals Floor• Domestic Terminal, Arrivals Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: from 20.00TL (suitcase) to 45.00TL (extra large baggage).
- Medical Clinic - Location: Landside in both Domestic and International Terminals. Hours: 24 hours a day.
- Mosques - There are 8 mosques in the airport. Locations: International Terminal, landside, check-in area (2) • International Terminal, transit area, airside (2) • International Terminal, arrivals floor (2) • Domestic Terminal, airside, departure gates (2). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy - Location: Günay Eczanesi, Arrivals Floor, landside.
- Showers - Available in the Comfort and Primeclass Lounges in the International Terminal. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
A host of rent-a- car companies are based within the domestic and International Terminals of Ataturk Airport, and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt • Thrifty • and more.
For a complete schedule of the metro system serving the airport, visit the Istanbul Ulasim web site.
For a complete seabus schedule, visit the Ataturk Airport web site.
Taxi fees are calculated by adding a certain fee per km to a constant initial fee. Taxi drivers may inform you before the journey about the approximate fee you are going to pay with respect to your distance. Same taxi fees are applicable 24 hours in Istanbul.
Istanbul Travel Resources
- Istanbul Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 27 July 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.