Istanbul Ataturk Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Istanbul Ataturk Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Metal seats make it quite drafty, so buy a newspaper to spread over the seats and get a coat out of your luggage before putting it in storage. -Polonius
I had twenty hours between flights from Tashkent to NY so I saw Istanbul during the day and returned to the airport at night to sleep and catch my flight out in the morning. I watched part of a Turkish soccer qualifier at an airport bar and then moved up to the main level where i was able to spread out on a few seats. There were several families nearby doing the same thing. I was woken once by a cleaning lady who was quite nice and apologetic and security didn't care that i was there sleeping. The guy at customs did get a kick when he asked me where i spent the night and i pointed to a corner of the airport. Wouldn't hesitate to sleep there again.
Have you been to Istanbul Ataturk Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Istanbul Ataturk airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Primeclass Lounge - Location: International Terminal, airside, above the food court. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Primeclass Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, 2nd Floor. Hours: airside. Hours: 4am - 12am. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- HSBC Club Lounge - Location: International Terminal, airside, 2nd floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
Additionally, there are airline lounges that require Elite Status/First or Business Class tickets for entry:
- Garanti Zone Lounge - Location: Domestic and International Terminals, airside. Hours: open 24 hours
- Yapi Kredi World International CIP Lounge - Location: International Terminal, airside. Hours: open 24 hours
- Millenium Lounge - Location: International Terminal, airside. Hours: open 24 hours
- British Airways Terraces Lounge - Location: International Terminal, airside. Hours: 630am - 630pm
- THY CIP
Free WiFi is available at Istanbul Ataturk Airport in the Arrivals and Departures Terminals.
If sleeping in the Istanbul Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport....
- TAV Istanbul International Airport Hotel - located inside the terminal in two sections (landside and airside). Hourly rates are offered in 3 hour blocks. Airside rates from € 95 (single) / € 110 (double) for up to 3 hours. For 15-24 hours, the rates are € 195 (single) / € 220 (double) plus VAT.
- Wow Airport Hotel - free airport shuttle. 5 minute drive from Ataturk.
- Radisson Blu - adjacent to the airport. Free shuttle available.
- Courtyard by Marriott - free airport shuttle
- Best Western
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Ataturk Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are 30 ATMS located throughout the airport.
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt • Thrifty • and more. Location:
- Currency Exchange - There are 9 currency exchange offices located on the Departures Floor, Landside • Arrivals Hall, Airside • Arrivals Floor Landside.
- Food & Drinks - There are several food concessions that are open 24 hours. I've listed them below:
»International - Landside: Caffe Nero • Starbucks • Simit Sarayı Mobil
»International - Airside: Restro • Caffe Nero • Simit Sarayı • Cakes & Bakes • Turcuisine • The Greenport • Starbucks • Coca Cola Cafe • Millenium Lounge • Coca Cola Bus Gate
»Domestic - Landside: no 24 hour food/beverage options
»Domestic - Airside: Kokpit Cafe • Tadinda Anadolu • Starbucks • C&B
- Information Desks - Locations: International Terminal, Landside, Arrivals Floor and Departures Floor • International Terminal, Airside, Transit Area • Domestic Terminal, Landside, Arrivals and Departures Floor. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: International Terminal, Arrivals Floor• Domestic Terminal, Arrivals Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: from 20.00TL (suitcase) to 45.00TL (extra large baggage).
- Mosques - There are 8 mosques in the airport. Locations: International Terminal, landside, check-in area (2) • International Terminal, transit area, airside (2) • International Terminal, arrivals floor (2) • Domestic Terminal, airside, departure gates (2). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy - Location: Günay Eczanesi, Arrivals Floor, landside.
- Showers - Available in the Primeclass Lounges.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Istanbul Travel Resources
- Istanbul Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 20 February 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.