London Gatwick Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our London Gatwick Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The police were lovely they even bought me a coffee.
Based on reviews on this side we decided to stay at gatwick before out 7:30am flight rather than fight London traffic. Reviews are totally true, would have been a great place to sleep as there were no hassles from security, shops open 24 hours and comfy couches. However, they are currently doing construction (and will be for another year or so) so the noise and dust were a major problem. On the plus side, the constructin guys were really friendly and advised us where the quietest place would be but there were jackhammers and lights all night and not a lot of space in the quieter places. Also, no announcements so once the constuction is finished it would be fairly quiet. In saying that, we managed about 4 hours sleep so it wasn't too terrible. Just thought these reviews needed an update!
Have you been to London Gatwick Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at London Gatwick airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge by Servisair - Location: South Terminal, Airside, Upper Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£18.99) • Priority Pass.
- No. 1 Lounge Gatwick - Location: North Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Aspire Lounge by Servisair - Location: North Terminal, Airside, Level 1. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£15.99) • Priority Pass.
- My Lounge - Location: North Terminal, Airside. Hours: 4:00AM - 8:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£16.00) • Priority Pass.
- Regus Express Business Lounge - Location: South Terminal, Arrivals Concourse, Ground Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon - Fri). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£39.00).
Free WiFi is available at London Gatwick Airport for 45 minutes. For additional time, Boingo offers different plans. McDonald's offers Free WiFi (South Terminal, Airside). Additionally, Surfbox provides internet kiosks and printing facilities before and after security. Rates: 10p per minute for internet access and 50p per page for printing.
If sleeping in London Gatwick Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Bloc Gatwick - a budget hotel located inside the South Terminal on the Arrivals Floor.
- Hilton - connected to the South Terminal by a covered walkway. Day rooms are available 9am-6pm.
- Yotel - located in the airport in the South Terminal. Day rooms / hourly rates (from 4 to 24 hours) are offered.
- Sofitel - connected to the North Terminal by a covered walkway. Day rooms are available 9am-6pm.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Gatwick Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art at the Airport - The works of 3 different local artists are now on display throughout the airport. Check out the unique mosaic celebrating Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee, the artwork is created with 5,500 pictures of people from Sussex, Kent and Surrey. Location: South Terminal.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are available in both terminals, airside and landside.
- Baby Care - Boots Drugstore is located both Landside and Airside and offers pre-order service for baby milk, simply place your order 5 days before your travel and pick up post security, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available for a refundable deposit of £1, €1 or US 25-cent coin.
- Chapel / Prayer Room - Locations: South Terminal, Landside, near Caffè Nero • North Terminal, Landside, beside International Arrivals. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Children's Play Areas - The airport's "Kids Zones" provide a separate area for kids to play and watch TV. Location: South Terminal, Airside, opposite Cafe Rouge and behind Boots • North Terminal, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Moneycorp has exchange desks and ATMS located throughout both terminals. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Family Services - If you are travelling with small children, the airport offers Family Assistance Lanes, Kids Zones and baby changing facilities.
- Food & Drinks - There are several 24 hour food and beverage concessions available:
»North Terminal: Starbucks (Airside)
»South Terminal: Caffe Nero (Landside) • Costa Coffee (Arrivals) • McDonalds (Airside) • Pret a Manger (Airside) •
- Games Rooms - GameGrid provides arcade entertainment including air hockey, table football and computer games. Locations: Airside and Landside
- Kid's Zones - Special kid's areas offer play areas and tv lounges for your children, as well as seating for grown-ups. Locations: North Terminal (Airside, behind Boots) and South Terminal (Airside, upstairs, opposite Cafe Rouge).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Arrivals Level in North and South Terminals. Rates: £8.00 per item per day. Hours: open 24 hours
- Mobile Charging - If you don't have your mobile charger, you can charge your phone at Chargebox. Locations: North and South Terminal departure lounges. Rate: £1.50 for 30 minutes
- Pharmacy - Boots has locations in the North Terminal (Landside & Airside) and South Terminal (Arrivals and Airside).
- Showers - Showers are available. Location: South Terminal, opposite the Beehive Bar and restaurant and North Terminal, No. 1 Lounge.
- Smoking -Smoking is only permitted outside the terminal in designated areas.
- Take a Walk - If you want to get out and enjoy the fresh air, there is a national bicycle path that leads to the airport. According to a site visitor "the path led quickly off the site and wound through a pretty wooded suburban area".
- Work Pods - Regus Express has installed soundproof work pods that come equipped with free WiFi and mobile charging. Locations: North Terminal, Airside, Gates 104-105 • South Terminal, Airside, Gates 31-38. Rate: £10 per 30 mins. Hours: open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Bus and Coach
Frequent coach services connect Gatwick with more than 400 UK towns and cities. Direct services run to destinations including Heathrow, central London, Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge and Norwich. Most services operate from the lower South Terminal forecourt. Some also call at North Terminal (on the lower level outside international arrivals). There are National Express ticket desks in the North and South Terminals. Tickets for most other services can be booked in advance with the coach operator or bought on board.
Coach services from Gatwick
A low-cost frequent airport transfer service non-stop from London and Gatwick with prices from £2. Buses depart every 15 minutes at peak times and run from 4am until 1am. easyBus operate services to/from both North and South terminals to Earls Court/West Brompton and London Victoria coach station in central London. In addition easyBus operates a service between the South Terminal and Waterloo rail station in central London. It runs seven days a week except Christmas Day and can be used by any airline passenger.
Local bus services
Local buses operate from both terminals at Gatwick to many local destinations. More information can be viewed: http://www.gatwickairport.com/to-and-from/by-coach-or-bus/local-buses/
Gatwick Airport is 30 minutes from Victoria in central London via the non-stop Gatwick Express. There are also direct services to London Bridge, City Thameslink, London Farringdon and Clapham Junction and rail links to destinations all around the UK.
Trains to London
Gatwick Express is the fastest rail link between the airport and central London. Non-stop trains run to and from London Victoria every 15 minutes and take 30 minutes (35 minutes on Sundays).
With numerous operators available, view the https://taxis.gatwickairport.com/ link for more details
Well known car rental providers are available at Gatwick. Companies include: Alamo • Avis • Dollar • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Location: Car Rental Facility across from the North Terminal.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around The Airport
There is a 24 hour terminal shuttle that runs every few minutes.
@AirportSleeper Managed to pick a seat under a drip from the a/c so relocated to the floor! It was freezing!! Cheap though :-)— RunawayBrit (@RunawayBrit) January 3, 2014
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at London Gatwick Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
London Travel Resources
- London Hotels - search for deals, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 30 March 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.