Luqa Malta Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Luqa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
just opposite of the KFC there's a kids' playing area with carpet on the floor, that can fit about 3 people. we took off our shoes and slept like babies. - iulia_r
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Malta International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, modern single-terminal international airport with selection of shopping and dining options, including 24 hour options!
- Efficient airport procedures and friendly staff, according to several reviewers.
- Free (and slow) WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers who spent the night at this airport, described their overnight stay as safe, quiet, comfortable and hassle-free. Some reviewers slept in chairs at Costa Coffee, some slept on empty floor space, and others pitched a tent on airport grounds. Have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy for added comfort!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Luqa / Malta Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Malta airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- La Valette Lounge (Departures) - Location: Airside, Main Departure Hall. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€29.00) • Book Online (£24.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- La Valette Lounge (Arrivals) - Location: Airside, near the Bagggage Claim. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€29.00) • Book Online (£24.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Malta Airport. Connect to the "Maltairport Wi-Fi" network. Additionally, there are Internet kiosks available Landside in the Flitebite cafeteria (for a fee).
If sleeping in Malta Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Phoenicia Malta - (12 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available for a fee ($).
- British Hotel - (15 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel for a fee.
- Seabreeze Hotel - (15 minutes from the airport) No airport transfers. The hotel suggests the bus (No. X4) for 2,50€ or a taxi for 16,00€.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Malta Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Amusement Room - Billiards, air hockey, and more are available. Location: Level 1.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located landside in the Check-In area and Welcomers Hall, and airside in the Arrivals area. Full-service banking is available near the airport at SkyParks Business Centre.
- Baby Care Facilities - Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort in the Parenting Room. There’s a couch, changing table, wash basin, and drinking water station available inside. Location: Check-in Hall, next to the Customer Service Information Centre. Two additional changing rooms are available in the Schengen Departures Lounge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Location: Landside, Level 01, near the food court .
- Children’s Play Area - The closest play area is at the McDonald’s located behind the SkyParks Business Center, located within a short walk of the terminal. You can also keep your child occupied with a free coloring set. Get one at the Customer Service Information Centre.
- Currency Exchange - Location: Landside, Arrivals. Hours: open 24 hours
- Duty Free & Shopping - The Duty Free Store sells perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol and tobacco. Location: Airside. Hours: open 24 hours.There is also a good selection of other shops to pass the time.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Costa Coffee (Check-In and Welcomers Hall)
- Airside: Cleland & Souchet Wine Cafe • Costa Coffee (Schengen and Non-Schengen departures halls) • Hard Rock Cafe (opposite Gate 9) • Relish.
- There is a McDonald’s behind the SkyParks Business Center (outside of the terminal) and has a 24-hour drive-thru window.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Enjoy a hands-free layover! Luggage storage is available at the following rates: €5 - €15 for 0-6 hours • €8 - €15 for 6-12 hours • €12 - €15 for 12-24 hours • €10 per additional hour for all sizes of luggage. Rates vary per luggage size/weight. Location: Check-in Hall near Customer Services Information Centre. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Trolleys - There is a fee to use. Rate: 2EU deposit with 1EU being returned.
- Luggage Wrapping - Secure Luggage Wrap offers service at a rate of € 4.99 per piece of luggage. Hours: 5:30AM - 8:00PM (Mon-Thurs) • 5:30AM - 10:00PM (Fri/Sat) • 7:30AM - 8:00PM (Sun).
- Mobile Charging - Head to one of these three areas to power up:
- Departures Area: Wall-mounted power outlets and charging stations equipped for various devices are available throughout.
- Check-in Hall: Work tables and power outlets are available at Costa Coffee.
- Food Court: Wall-mounted power outlets and charging stations equipped for various devices are available throughout. Some work tables for laptop users are also available.
- Observation Deck - Get a bird’s eye view of the runways and aprons! Location: 3rd Floor.
- Pharmacy - Location: Welcomers Hall, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Malta Airport is served by four airport express buses (X1, X2, X3 and X4) and additional routes to nearby villages. Bus tickets and information are available in the Welcomers’ Hall. For routes, timetables and fares, visit the Malta Public Transport website.
The car rentals area is located in the Welcomers’ Hall, on your left side as you exit the Baggage Reclaim area. The following agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, Europcar, First Car Rental, Goldcar, Hertz and Sixt.
Shared Ride Shuttle
Malta Transfer offers private and shared-ride door-to-door service between the airport and hotels throughout Malta and Gozo. Rides can be booked online or through the Malta Transfer booking desk, located in the Baggage Reclaim area.
Fixed-rate taxis are readily available 24 hours a day outside of the terminal as you exit. Prepaid taxi tickets are sold from the ticket booth inside of the Welcomers’ Hall. The following fares were current at the time of this update: Albert Town €15, Valletta €15
Last Updated: 27 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.