Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Malta Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
just opposite of the KFC there’s a kids’ playing area with carpet on the floor, that can fit about 3 people. we took off our shoes and slept like babies. – iulia_r
MLA Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Malta International Airport.
What to Expect
Malta Airport (code: MLA) has a small terminal and its security procedures are reportedly efficient. You’ll find a variety of shops and eateries, including a duty-free shops and a few eateries that are open 24 hours, both airside and landside. Free WiFi helps pass the time. Economy class passengers can pay to enter two airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for location and access information.
Sleeping in Malta Airport
Overnight sleepers report a pleasant overnight experience. Look for comfortable seating in cafes that have closed for the night or buy a drink in a 24 hour eatery for some rest time. Others slept on the floor carpeted on the ground floor or even pitched a tent outside the terminal entrance. For uninterrupted sleep, nearby hotels offer shuttle service for a fee. See our Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. We will start updating all of our guides in October 2021. To help us with this massive update, you can add or update information or write a review and submit photos and airport tips.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Malta Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in Malta Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Phoenicia Malta – (12 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel for a fee ($). » Check Rates
- British Hotel – (15 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel for a fee ($). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Malta Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes La Valette Club (Arrivals) – Location: Airside, near the Bagggage Claim. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes La Valette Club – Location: Airside, Main Departure Hall. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Free WiFi is available at Malta Airport. Connect to the “Maltairport Wi-Fi” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort in the Parenting Room. There’s a couch, changing table, wash basin, and drinking water station available inside. Location: Check-in Hall, next to the Customer Service Information Centre. Two additional changing rooms are available in the Schengen Departures Lounge.
- Children’s Play Area – The closest play area is at the McDonald’s located behind the SkyParks Business Center, located within a short walk of the terminal. You can also keep your child occupied with a free coloring set, which you can pick-up at the Customer Service Information Centre.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Costa Coffee (Check-In and Welcomers Hall)
- Airside: Cleland & Souchet Wine Cafe • Costa Coffee (Schengen and Non-Schengen departures halls) • Hard Rock Cafe (opposite Gate 9) • Relish.
- There is a McDonald’s behind the SkyParks Business Center (outside of the terminal) and has a 24-hour drive-thru window.
- Information Desk – Have any questions? A Tourist Information desk may be able to provide assistance. Location: Check-in Hall. Hours: 10:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Malta and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there is a Lufthansa City Center travel agency with offices in the Departures Hall that can probably be of assistance (closed Sundays).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Located in the Check-in Hall near Customer Services Information. Hours: Open 24 hours. Rates:
- Hand/hold luggage to a maximum of 30kg: €5 for 0-12 hours • €10 for 12-14 hours • €10 per additional 24 hours or part thereof.
- Special Items (Bulky): €10 for 0-12 hours • €15 for 12-14 hours • €15 per additional 24 hours or part thereof.
- Luggage Trolleys – There is a fee to use. Rate: 2EU deposit with 1EU being returned.
- Luggage Wrapping – Secure Luggage Wrap offers service at a rate of € 4.99 per piece of luggage. Hours: 5:30AM – 8:00PM (Mon-Thurs) • 5:30AM – 10:00PM (Fri/Sat) • 7:30AM – 8:00PM (Sun).
- Pharmacy – Location: Welcomers Hall, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM
- Mobile Charging – Head to one of these three areas to power up:
- Departures Area: Wall-mounted power outlets and charging stations equipped for various devices are available throughout.
- Check-in Hall: Work tables and power outlets are available at Costa Coffee.
- Food Court: Wall-mounted power outlets and charging stations equipped for various devices are available throughout. Some work tables for laptop users are also available.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside, in the Check-In area and the Welcomers Hall • Airside, in the Arrivals area.
- Banking Services – Full-service banking is available near the airport at SkyParks Business Centre.
- Currency Exchange – Location: Landside, Arrivals. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Chapel – Location: Landside, Level 01, near the food court. Mass is offered at the following times: 12:05PM (Monday – Friday), 6:15PM and 7:25PM (Saturday) and 7:25AM, 8:30AM and 10:30AM (Sunday and Holidays).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – The Duty Free Store sells perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol and tobacco. Location: Airside. Hours: open 24 hours.There is also a good selection of other shops to pass the time including a 24 hour WHSmith (Airside, Schengen area) for any last minute snack/drink needs.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Amusement Room – Billiards, air hockey, and more are available. Location: Level -1.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: 3rd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Malta airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Air Baltic • Air France • Air Malta • Air Serbia • Alitalia • Atlantic Airways • British Airways • Czech Airlines • Condor • EasyJet • Eurowings • Emirates • Finnair • Iberia Express • Jet2 • Jet Time • Lufthansa • Luxair • Norwegian • Ryanair • SAS • Swiss • TUIfly • Transavia • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Voltea • Vueling • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Malta Airport is served by four airport express buses (X1, X2, X3 and X4) and additional routes to nearby villages. Bus tickets and information are available in the Welcomers’ Hall. For routes, timetables and fares, visit the Malta Public Transport website.
The car rentals area is located in the Welcomers’ Hall, on your left side as you exit the Baggage Reclaim area. The following agencies are available onsite: Avis • Budget • Dollar/Thrifty • Europcar • First Car Rental/Active Car Rental • Goldcar • Green Motion • Hertz • Sixt.
Shared Ride Shuttle
Malta Transfer offers private and shared-ride door-to-door service between MLA airport and hotels throughout Malta and Gozo. Rides can be booked online or through the Malta Transfer booking desk, located in the Baggage Reclaim area.
Fixed-rate taxis are readily available 24 hours a day outside of the terminal as you exit. Prepaid taxi tickets are sold from the ticket booth inside of the Welcomers’ Hall. The following sample fares were current at the time of this update: Albert Town €15, Valletta €15, Marsascala €18 and Vittoriosa €18. For a list of additional fixed rates visit the airport website.
Last updated: 2020-06-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.