Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Malta Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
just opposite of the KFC there’s a kids’ playing area with carpet on the floor, that can fit about 3 people. we took off our shoes and slept like babies. – iulia_r
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Malta International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, modern single-terminal international airport with selection of shopping and dining options, including 24 hour options!
- Efficient airport procedures and friendly staff, according to several reviewers.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- Free (and slow) WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers who spent the night at this airport, described their overnight stay as safe, quiet, comfortable and hassle-free. Some reviewers slept in chairs at Costa Coffee, some slept on empty floor space, and others pitched a tent on airport grounds. A reader (September 2018) suggests heading to the lower level (beside Burger King) which has carpeted floor. Have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy for added comfort!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes La Valette Club (Arrivals) – Location: Airside, near the Bagggage Claim. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Malta Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Phoenicia Malta – (12 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available for a fee ($). » Check Rates
- British Hotel – (15 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel for a fee. » Check Rates
- Seabreeze Hotel – (15 minutes from the airport) No airport transfers. The hotel suggests the bus (No. X4) for 2,50€ or a taxi for 16,00€. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Malta Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Malta Airport. Connect to the “Maltairport Wi-Fi” network. Additionally, there are Internet kiosks available Landside in the Flitebite cafeteria (for a fee).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort in the Parenting Room. There’s a couch, changing table, wash basin, and drinking water station available inside. Location: Check-in Hall, next to the Customer Service Information Centre. Two additional changing rooms are available in the Schengen Departures Lounge.
- Children’s Play Area – The closest play area is at the McDonald’s located behind the SkyParks Business Center, located within a short walk of the terminal. You can also keep your child occupied with a free coloring set, which you can pick-up at the Customer Service Information Centre.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Costa Coffee (Check-In and Welcomers Hall)
- Airside: Cleland & Souchet Wine Cafe • Costa Coffee (Schengen and Non-Schengen departures halls) • Hard Rock Cafe (opposite Gate 9) • Relish.
- There is a McDonald’s behind the SkyParks Business Center (outside of the terminal) and has a 24-hour drive-thru window.
- Information Desk – A Customer Services Information Centre is available at the Check-in Hall.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Malta and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there is a Lufthansa City Center travel agency with offices at the airport (Departures Hall) that can probably be of assistance (closed Sundays).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Located in the Check-in Hall near Customer Services Information. Hours: Open 24 hours. Rates:
- Hand/hold luggage to a maximum of 30kg: €5 for 0-12 hours • €10 for 12-14 hours • €10 per additional 24 hours or part thereof.
- Special Items (Bulky): €10 for 0-12 hours • €15 for 12-14 hours • €15 per additional 24 hours or part thereof.
- Luggage Trolleys – There is a fee to use. Rate: 2EU deposit with 1EU being returned.
- Luggage Wrapping – Secure Luggage Wrap offers service at a rate of € 4.99 per piece of luggage. Hours: 5:30AM – 8:00PM (Mon-Thurs) • 5:30AM – 10:00PM (Fri/Sat) • 7:30AM – 8:00PM (Sun).
- Pharmacy – Location: Welcomers Hall, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM
- Mobile Charging – Head to one of these three areas to power up:
- Departures Area: Wall-mounted power outlets and charging stations equipped for various devices are available throughout.
- Check-in Hall: Work tables and power outlets are available at Costa Coffee.
- Food Court: Wall-mounted power outlets and charging stations equipped for various devices are available throughout. Some work tables for laptop users are also available.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside, in the Check-In area and the Welcomers Hall • Airside, in the Arrivals area.
- Banking Services – Full-service banking is available near the airport at SkyParks Business Centre.
- Currency Exchange – Location: Landside, Arrivals. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Chapel – Location: Landside, Level 01, near the food court. Mass is offered at the following times: 12:05PM (Monday – Friday), 6:15PM and 7:25PM (Saturday) and 7:25AM, 8:30AM and 10:30AM (Sunday and Holidays).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – The Duty Free Store sells perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol and tobacco. Location: Airside. Hours: open 24 hours.There is also a good selection of other shops to pass the time including a 24 hour WHSmith (Airside, Schengen area) for any last minute snack/drink needs.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Amusement Room – Billiards, air hockey, and more are available. Location: Level 1.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: 3rd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of January 2019, Malta airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • AirBaltic • Air Malta • Air Serbia • Alitalia • Atlantic Airways • British Airways • Czech Airlines • Condor • easyJet • Eurowings • Emirates • Finnair • Iberia Express • Jet2 • Jet Time • Lufthansa • Luxair • Norwegian • Ryanair • SAS • Small Planet Airways • Swiss • Thomas Cook Airlines • TUIfly • Transavia • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Voltea • Vueling • Wizz Air.
Malta Airport is served by four airport express buses (X1, X2, X3 and X4) and additional routes to nearby villages. Bus tickets and information are available in the Welcomers’ Hall. For routes, timetables and fares, visit the Malta Public Transport website.
The car rentals area is located in the Welcomers’ Hall, on your left side as you exit the Baggage Reclaim area. The following agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, Europcar, First Car Rental/Active Car Rental, Goldcar, Green Motion, Hertz and Sixt.
Fixed-rate taxis are readily available 24 hours a day outside of the terminal as you exit. Prepaid taxi tickets are sold from the ticket booth inside of the Welcomers’ Hall. The following sample fares were current at the time of this December 2017 update: Albert Town €15, Valletta €15, Marsascala €20 and Vittoriosa €20.
Last updated: 2019-01-07
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.