Reykjavik Keflavik Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Keflavik Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I saw a completely bizarre scene: a security guard pacing up and down angrily and rudely telling people to sit up, barking, 'this isn't a hotel! Hey! Get up!' - sleeplessinseattle
by a traveller
August 2015 - I arrived on a flight from Heathrow around midnight and had a layover until 8 am. Upon the leaving the plane, I noticed other people sitting around the departure gates and I tried to figure out how to get there. Once I passed through passport control, I turned to the left (towards gates 7, 10, 11-15) and there were padded, three-person seats (with no bars in between and beanbag style couches. Other travellers were pretty respectful of those trying to sleep (quiet, lights off). I put a yoga mat on the seats and immediately fell asleep. No one came to wake us up or to tell us to move. It started to get a little noisy around 6am when people started arriving for the first flights of the day and then the lights were turned on at 6:30am. It's quite cold at night, so definitely pack a blanket!
Have you been to Keflavik Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
At the time of this update, there are no lounges that economy class passengers can pay to use.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Keflavik Airport. Connect to the "Kefairport-FreeWifi" network, log in and start surfing. Additionally, internet kiosks are available airside and landside.
If sleeping in Keflavik Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Hotel Smari - (2 min walk from the airport) Located 100m from the airport terminal. Day rooms are available.
- Alex Guesthouse - (15 min walk from the airport) Free scheduled transfer to the airport is available during summer season (May 15th to September 15th) from 4:45AM to 9:15PM (inquire with hotel about scheduled times). Call +354 421-2800 from the airport, and someone from the hotel will pick you up at the “MEETING POINT” sign in Arrivals Hall.
- Icelandair Hotel in Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Formerly known as “Icelandair Flughotel”. Airport transfers are available.
- Hotel Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Free one-way shuttle to/from the airport.
- Hotel Berg - (7 min from the airport) Personal airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel.
- Bed & Breakfast Keflavik Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle .
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Keflavik Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines: located landside and airside.
- Children’s Area - The terminal is now equipped with a children’s play area, includes games, puzzles, seating, video games, etc.
- Currency Exchange: Location: in the Departure Hall.
- Duty Free & Shopping - In addition to a duty free store, the following shops are available: Elko • Optical Studio • Airport Fashion • Penninn Eymundsson • Blue Lagoon • 66°North • Iceland Gift Store.
- Food / Dining: According to a reviewer in July 2015, there is a convenience store located Landside that is open 24 hours. Otherwise these food and drink concessions are open during flight operation hours: Joe & the Juice • Loksins Bar • House of Food • Nord • Segafredo.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers:There is a luggage storage office located 500m from the departures side of the airport. Hours: 5:00AM – 5:00PM (October - April) • 5:00AM – 7:00PM (May 15 - September 15). Rate: from EUR 5 per bag per day and EUR 1 every day afterwards.
- Mobile Charging - Yes
- Showers: Not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Download the Terminal Map
The Airport Express is operated by Gray Line Iceland and provides scheduled tranfer services 45 minutes after each scheduled flight arrival. The sales office is in the arrivals hall terminal. Departures from Keflavik Airport and Reykjavík timetable can be seen on the Airport Express web site.
Transfer time to Reykjavik is 45 minutes. If you are travelling from Reykjavík to Keflavik, the bus departs from the Sales Office and Bus Terminal at Lækjartorg in downtown Reykjavík at the designated departure time.
They also provide pick-up/drop-off service from all major hotels in the capital area. Transfers must be booked in advance for guaranteed departures to the airport.
Flybus is located just outside the airport. The bus leaves 35-40 minutes after arrival of each flight; however, it is advised that passengers check the terminal screens for actual bus departure times or talk with customer service at the Flybus information desk in the arrival hall.
The trip to Reykjavík by Flybus is 45 minutes and, upon request, it will stop at Hotel Viking in Hafnarfjörður and at Aktu Taktu in Garðabær.
When reaching Reykjavík the first stop is at the BSÍ Bus Terminal. Transfers are available to all major hotels, the Youth Hostel, Laugardalur camping area and the domestic airport. For these transfers the driver will advise you on boarding smaller busses.
Flybus will also connect you from your hotel back to the airport. Just make a request at your hotel the day before departure.
Taxis are available outside the terminal.
The following car rental companies are available: Avis • Budget • Hertz • Europcar.
Last Updated: 12 April 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.