Reykjavik Keflavik Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Keflavik Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I saw a completely bizarre scene: a security guard pacing up and down angrily and rudely telling people to sit up, barking, 'this isn't a hotel! Hey! Get up!' - sleeplessinseattle
by a traveller
July 2015 - We arrived at the airport around 3am and found many people laying on the floor and trying to sleep. Many with sleeping bags and mats to get comfortable. I figured it would be fine to do the same, especially since I have slept in airports before without a problem. Just as I was about to fall asleep a guard approached us and rudely said we were not allowed to sleep on the floor. He added that if we wanted to camp we should set up a tent outside and that the airport wasn't a campsite. He also sarcastically said that we might as well start a campfire inside the way we were behaving.
I can understand that if the airport has certain rules against people sleeping or camping in the airport that it might be part of the security guards job description to enforce these rules. However, I really don't think he had to be rude, hostile and sarcastic. Moreover, I don't really understand why the airport prohibits people from sleeping while they await a flight early in the morning. Who are we harming by laying on the floor?
The security guard later came back to tell us that we should get going because we would be able to check in soon. I told him the gates were closed and he responded that they would open in 15 minutes, which I later realised was a lie. He had no desire to help us in any way, he just wanted to get rid off us as fast as possible as if we were pests. I fly often and never have any problems but I really will avoid this airport in the future if I can. It was a horrible experience.
Have you been to Keflavik Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Information not available
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Keflavik Airport. Connect to the "Kefairport-FreeWifi" network, log in and start surfing. Additionally, internet kiosks are available airside and landside.
If sleeping in Keflavik Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Hotel Smari - (2 min walk from the airport) Located 100m from the airport terminal. Day rooms are available.
- Alex Guesthouse - (15 min walk from the airport) Free airport pick-up is available from May 5th to October 1st. Call +354 421-2800 from the airport, and someone from the hotel will pick you up at the “MEETING POINT” sign in Arrivals Hall. Free scheduled transfer to the airport is available during summer season (May 15th to September 15th) from 4:45am to 9:15pm (inquire with hotel about scheduled times).
- Icelandair Hotel in Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Formerly known as “Icelandair Flughotel”. Airport transfers are available.
- Hotel Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Free one-way shuttle to/from the airport.
- Hotel Berg - (7 min from the airport) Personal airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel.
- Bed & Breakfast Keflavik Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle .
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Keflavik Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines: located landside and airside.
- Children’s Area - The terminal is now equipped with a children’s play area, includes games, puzzles, seating, video games, etc.
- Currency Exchange: Location: in the Departure Hall
- Food / Dining: According to a reviewer in July 2015, there is a convenience store located Landside that is open 24 hours. Otherwise these food and drink concessions are open during flight operation hours: Joe & the Juice • Loksins Bar • House of Food • Nord • Segafredo.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers:There is a luggage storage office located 500m from the departures side of the airport. Hours: 5:00AM – 5:00PM (October - April) • 5:00AM – 7:00PM (May 15 - September 15). Rate: from EUR 5 per bag per day and EUR 1 every day afterwards.
- Mobile Charging - Yes
- Shopping - In addition to a duty free store, the following shops are available: Elko • Optical Studio • Airport Fashion • Penninn Eymundsson • Blue Lagoon • 66°North • Iceland Gift Store.
- Showers: Not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Download the Terminal Map
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The Airport Express sales office is located in the arrivals terminal at Keflavík Airport. Departure times can be found on the Airport Express web site. Transfer time to Reykjavik is 45 minutes. If you are travelling from Reykjavík to Keflavik, the bus departs from the Sales Office and Bus Terminal at Lækjartorg in downtown Reykjavík at the designated departure time. Pick-up starts 30 minutes prior to the advertised departure time. Complimentary pick-up/drop-off service from all major hotels in the capital area. Transfers must be booked in advance for guaranteed departures to the airport.
The Flybus is located outside the terminal. The bus leaves 35-40 minutes after arrival of each flight. Passengers should keep an eye on the screen in the terminal to see when the bus leaves or ask for information at the Flybus information desk at the arrival hall.
The trip to Reykjavík is 45 minutes. Upon request, the bus will stop at Hotel Viking in Hafnarfjörður and at Aktu Taktu in Garðabær. Upon arrival in Reykjavík the first stop is at the BSÍ Bus Terminal. Transfers are available to all major hotels, the Youth Hostel, Laugardalur camping area and the domestic airport. For these transfers the driver will ask you to board smaller busses.
Taxis are available outside the terminal.
The following car rental companies are available: Avis • Budget • Hertz • Europcar. You can compare car rental rates on the Auto Europe web site.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Keflavik Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Reykjavik Travel Resources
- Reykjavik Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 22 July 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.