Reykjavik Keflavik Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Keflavik Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I saw a completely bizarre scene: a security guard pacing up and down angrily and rudely telling people to sit up, barking, 'this isn't a hotel! Hey! Get up!' - sleeplessinseattle
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported to us during their time at Keflavik International Airport.
What to expect
- KEF is a small, modern airport, popular for layovers.
- There are very few eateries and shops.
- A small 24-hour general store is available landside.
- WiFi is free and unlimited. See more WiFi information below.
Where to sleep
- Sleeping in the airport overnight is strongly discouraged as you will quickly notice by the number of signs warning you.
- Several travellers report security guards reinforce this message to travellers trying to sleep. You might get lucky with security, though, if you want to press your luck.
- Airside - the best sleeping opportunities may be near gates 7 and 10-15 (Traveller, August 2015).
- The airport is chilly and brightly-lit, but generally quiet at night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel on airport grounds and several nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels below for more info.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Reykjavik Airport Guide. Consider sending us your Keflavik Airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
At the time of this update, there are no lounges that economy class passengers can pay to use.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Keflavik Airport. Connect to the "Kefairport-FreeWifi" network, log in and start surfing. Additionally, internet kiosks are available airside and landside.
If sleeping in Keflavik Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Hotel Smari - (2 min walk from the airport) Located 100m from the airport terminal. Day rooms are available.
- Alex Guesthouse - (15 min walk from the airport) Free scheduled transfer to the airport is available during summer season (May 15th to September 15th) from 4:45AM to 9:15PM (inquire with hotel about scheduled times). Call +354 421-2800 from the airport, and someone from the hotel will pick you up at the “MEETING POINT” sign in Arrivals Hall.
- Icelandair Hotel in Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Formerly known as “Icelandair Flughotel”. Airport transfers are available.
- Hotel Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Free one-way shuttle to/from the airport.
- Hotel Berg - (7 min from the airport) Personal airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel.
- Bed & Breakfast Keflavik Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle .
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Keflavik Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - located landside and airside.
- Children’s Area - The terminal is now equipped with a children’s play area, includes games, puzzles, seating, video games, etc.
- Currency Exchange - Location: in the Departure Hall.
- Duty Free & Shopping - In addition to a duty free store, the following shops are available: Elko • Optical Studio • Airport Fashion • Penninn Eymundsson • Blue Lagoon • 66°North • Iceland Gift Store.
- Family Services - There are approximately 60 strollers available for free use throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - According to a reviewer in July 2015, there is a convenience store located Landside that is open 24 hours. Otherwise these food and drink concessions are open during flight operation hours: Joe & the Juice • Loksins Bar • House of Food • Nord • Segafredo.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - There is a luggage storage office located 500m from the departures side of the airport between Enterprise & Avis. Hours: 24 hours (15 May - 01 September) • 5:00AM – 12:00AM (02 September - 31 October) • 5:00AM - 6:00PM (1 November - 15 May). Rates: from EUR 8 per bag per day for the first week and EUR 3 every day afterwards (these are published rates on the airport's web site as of June 2016). However, a review submitted to us in June 2016 indicated that the rate is EUR 10 per bag per day for the first week and EUR 7 per bag per day each day afterwards.
- Mobile Charging - Yes
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking - Smoking is allowed in the designated area beside the restrooms in the Departure Hall.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Download the Terminal Map
The Airport Express is operated by Gray Line Iceland and provides scheduled transfer services 45 minutes after each scheduled flight arrival. The sales office is in the arrivals hall terminal. Departures from Keflavik Airport and Reykjavík timetable can be seen on the Airport Express web site.
Transfer time to Reykjavik is 45 minutes. If you are travelling from Reykjavík to Keflavik, the bus departs from the Sales Office and Bus Terminal at Lækjartorg in downtown Reykjavík at the designated departure time.
They also provide pick-up/drop-off service from all major hotels in the capital area. Transfers must be booked in advance for guaranteed departures to the airport.
Flybus is located just outside the airport. The bus leaves 35-40 minutes after arrival of each flight; however, it is advised that passengers check the terminal screens for actual bus departure times or talk with customer service at the Flybus information desk in the arrival hall.
The trip to Reykjavík by Flybus is 45 minutes and, upon request, it will stop at Hotel Viking in Hafnarfjörður and at Aktu Taktu in Garðabær.
When reaching Reykjavík the first stop is at the BSÍ Bus Terminal. Transfers are available to all major hotels, the Youth Hostel, Laugardalur camping area and the domestic airport. For these transfers the driver will advise you on boarding smaller busses.
Flybus will also connect you from your hotel back to the airport. Just make a request at your hotel the day before departure.
Taxis are available outside the terminal.
The following car rental companies are available: Avis • Budget • Hertz • Europcar.
Last Updated: 20 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.