Reykjavik Keflavik Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Keflavik Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I saw a completely bizarre scene: a security guard pacing up and down angrily and rudely telling people to sit up, barking, 'this isn't a hotel! Hey! Get up!'
Last week I travelled home from Boston via Reykjavik. This entailed an 8 hour overnight wait in Iceland for my flight to London. Having read the comments about this airport I was wondering what to expect.
My fears were unfounded. Indeed, I was approached by a Security Guard while sitting outside my Gate No and told I could not sit there, but he was extremely polite and directed me upstairs to the shops and eating outlets area telling me there were sofas where I could sleep. The terminal was lovely. Very modern, light and airy and the shops were upmarket. There were many armchairs and long padded benches to sit on and the hot chocolate I had was delicious. Everything closed at 1am and opened again at 5am which was not a problem for me. The place was comfortably warm and clean.
If I had to wait 8 hours in an airport, Reykjavik was the place to do it.
Have you been to Keflavik Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Information not available
- WiFi is available at the Keflavik Airport for a fee
- Internet kiosks are available airside and landside.
If sleeping in the Reykjavik Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Airport Hotel Smari - located 100m from the terminal. Day rooms are available.
- Alex Guesthouse - free 24-hour airport shuttle
- Bed & Breakfast Keflavik Airport - free airport shuttle
- Hótel Keilir - 5 minute drive
- Icelandair Flughotel - 5 minutes from the airport
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Keflavik Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines: located landside and airside.
- Car Rentals: Avis • Budget • Hertz • Europcar
- Currency Exchange: located in the Departure Hall
- Food / Dining: There are no 24 hour food concessions at this airport.
»Airside: Bistro Atlantic • Cafe Europe • Cafe International • Panorama Bar
- Luggage Storage / Lockers:There is a luggage storage office located 500m from the departures side of the airport. Hours: 6am - 6pm.Rate: from EUR 5 per bag per day and EUR 1 every day afterwards.
- Showers: Not available
Open 24 hours
Download the Terminal Map
12 Sep 2012 - Angela on our Facebook page says "Slept in Keflavik airport in Iceland on Saturday night, at least they let us sleep inside the building, which I can confirm is open 24 hrs (wikitravel suggests otherwise) but the building was not heated during the night (and so pretty cold even at the end of 'summer') and an airport employee came round and woke people up who were lying on the group sleeping (there are signs up proclaiming that sleeping in the airport is forbidden) but did not bother those of us who were attempting to sleep on the chairs. One of the less good airports I've slept in my time."
Facebook and Twitter Tips
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Keflavik Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Reykjavik Travel Resources
- Reykjavik Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 18 January 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.