Reykjavik Keflavik Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Keflavik Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I saw a completely bizarre scene: a security guard pacing up and down angrily and rudely telling people to sit up, barking, 'this isn't a hotel! Hey! Get up!' - sleeplessinseattle
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported to us during their time at Keflavik International Airport.
What to Expect
- KEF is a small, modern airport, popular for layovers.
- There are very few eateries and shops.
- A small 24-hour general store is available landside.
- WiFi is free and unlimited. See more WiFi information below.
Where to Sleep
- Sleeping in the airport overnight is strongly discouraged as you will quickly notice by the number of signs warning you.
- Several travellers report security guards reinforce this message to travellers trying to sleep. You might get lucky with security, though, if you want to press your luck.
- Airside - the best sleeping opportunities may be near gates 7 and 10-15 (Traveller, August 2015).
- The airport is chilly and brightly-lit, but generally quiet at night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel on airport grounds and several nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels below for more info.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Reykjavik Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
At the time of this update, there are no lounges that economy class passengers can pay to use.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at the airport. Connect to the “Kefairport-FreeWifi” network and log in to access. No registration required!
If sleeping in Keflavik Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Hotel Smari - (2 min walk from the airport) Located 100m from the airport terminal. Day rooms are available.
- Alex Guesthouse - (15 min walk from the airport) Free scheduled transfer to the airport is available during summer season (May 15th to September 15th) from 4:45AM to 9:15PM (inquire with hotel about scheduled times). Call +354 421-2800 from the airport, and someone from the hotel will pick you up at the “MEETING POINT” sign in Arrivals Hall.
- Icelandair Hotel in Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Formerly known as “Icelandair Flughotel”. Airport transfers are available.
- Hotel Keflavik - (5 min from the airport) Free one-way shuttle to/from the airport.
- Hotel Berg - (7 min from the airport) Personal airport transfers can be arranged with the hotel.
- Bed & Breakfast Keflavik Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle .
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Keflavik Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - located landside and airside.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Area - Games, puzzles, Lego table, video games, child-size seating and more are available in a designated spot in the commercial area of the terminal.
- Currency Exchange - Arion Bank offers currency exchange service 24 hours a day in the commercial area of the terminal.
- Duty Free & Shopping - In addition to DutyFree Iceland, the following shops are available: Elko • Optical Studio • Airport Fashion • Penninn Eymundsson • Blue Lagoon • 66°North • Iceland Gift Store • Pure Food Hall. All shops are open according to flight schedules.
- Family Services - Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge. You can take one from the check-in area of the terminal.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate according to flight schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: Joe & the Juice • Loksins Bar • House of Food • Nord • Segafredo.
- Luggage Storage - Enjoy a hands-free layover! Store your luggage at the airport, with rates for normal sized luggage at € 8 per day, for up to one week, and € 3 per day for any additional days after that. Odd-sized items, like bicycles or instruments, cost € 10 per day, for up to one week, and € 5 per day for additional days. Location: 500m from the Departure side of the terminal, located between Enterprise and Avis car rentals. Hours: Open 24 hours (May 15 - Sep 1), 5:00AM - 12:00AM (Sep 1 - Oct 31) and 5:00AM - 6:00PM (Nov 1 - May 15).
- Mobile Charging - Over 100 charging stations are available, located throughout the airport terminal.
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking - Smoking is allowed in the designated area beside the restrooms in the Departure Hall.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Download the Terminal Map
The Airport Express is operated by Gray Line Iceland and provides scheduled transfer services 45 minutes after each scheduled flight arrival. The sales office is in the arrivals hall terminal. Departures from Keflavik Airport and Reykjavík timetable can be seen on the Airport Express web site.
Transfer time to Reykjavik is 45 minutes. If you are travelling from Reykjavík to Keflavik, the bus departs from the Sales Office and Bus Terminal at Lækjartorg in downtown Reykjavík at the designated departure time.
They also provide pick-up/drop-off service from all major hotels in the capital area. Transfers must be booked in advance for guaranteed departures to the airport.
Flybus is located just outside the airport. The bus leaves 35-40 minutes after arrival of each flight; however, it is advised that passengers check the terminal screens for actual bus departure times or talk with customer service at the Flybus information desk in the arrival hall.
The trip to Reykjavík by Flybus is 45 minutes and, upon request, it will stop at Hotel Viking in Hafnarfjörður and at Aktu Taktu in Garðabær.
When reaching Reykjavík the first stop is at the BSÍ Bus Terminal. Transfers are available to all major hotels, the Youth Hostel, Laugardalur camping area and the domestic airport. For these transfers the driver will advise you on boarding smaller busses.
Flybus will also connect you from your hotel back to the airport. Just make a request at your hotel the day before departure.
Taxis are available outside the terminal.
The following car rental companies are available: Avis • Budget • Hertz • Europcar.
Last Updated: 07 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.