Sofia Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Sofia Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
At about 11 PM security asked me why I was there. What they want to hear is that you are taking a flight out the NEXT morning. I didn't have to show my ticket. -a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Sofia Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with two separate terminal buildings. Terminal 1, the smaller and older of the two terminals, is designated for low-cost carriers. The newer and bigger Terminal 2 handles major international airlines. A wide variety of shops and restaurants are available, but close at night, so have food and beverage handy for late night snacking!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- A popular spot for sleeping is the cafe area in Terminal 2, with plenty of armrest-free benches. One of the cafes has a few leather couches to sleep on until about 4:00AM, when the cafe prepares to open.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Sofia Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Sofia airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Sofia Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, International Departures, Airside, Level 2, opposite Gate 1. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (EUR 14)
- Swissport Vitosha Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 1. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Guest Lounge Preslav - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 0. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (18.00 EUR)
- Guest Lounge Pliska - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level +1. Hours: 8:00AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Sat) • 8:00AM - 12:00AM (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (14.40 EUR)
Free WiFi is available at Sofia Airport.
If sleeping in Sofia Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ibis Sofia Airport - (10 min walk from Terminal 1) Free airport shuttle. 4 minute ride from Terminal 2. Shuttle Hours: 24 hours, upon request.
- Novotel Sofia - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Metropolitan Hotel Sofia - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Sofia Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - A guide will lead you on a 5-kilometer route for a 60-minute tour through the apron, along the taxiways to the runway and the Iskar river bridge. Visit the airport fire and rescue station and the unique noise protection screen. You must register at least 5 days in advance. Rates: BGN 99.00 / EUR 50.40 per person.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, located in the Arrivals and Departures Halls (landside).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, ICE Exchange has 3 locations: Terminal 1, Baggage Claim • Terminal 2, Baggage Claim • Terminal 2, Level 1.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available at the airport. As well there are a variety of shops including several convenience style shops. Hours: Not known.
- Family Services - The airport has four nursing rooms (two in each Terminal) available for changing and nursing. Cribs are also included.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no 24-hour food and beverage concessions. However vending machines can be found in the Arrivals Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Pharmacy - Yes, available in Terminal 2, Landside. Hours: Not known.
- Showers - Not available
Information not available
Bus Line 84 runs between both terminals and Gen. Gurko Street from 5:00AM - 12:20AM on weekdays (bus runs until 11:23PM on weekends and holidays). Total travel time is 30 - 40 minutes in one direction.
Bus Line 384 runs between Terminal 2 and Druzhba 2 from 5:52AM - 10:58PM on weekdays (bus runs until 10:50PM on weekends and holidays). Total travel time is 20 - 25 minutes in one direction. Red floor markings lead to the Terminal 2 bus stops.
Tickets are sold at Razprostranenie na Pechata kiosks, located in the public areas of both terminals, and at the automated ticket machine in the public area of Terminal 2 Arrivals Hall. The ticket machine only takes Bulgarian cash and coins. Baggage over 60х40х40 cm requires a separate ticket (per piece of oversized luggage). For routes, timetables and fares, visit the Urban Mobility Center website.
Car rental desks are located in the Arrivals area of both terminals, just after Customs Control. Choice Rent a Car and Europcar have rental desks in Terminal 1. Autojet, Avis, Budget, Choice, Enterprise, Europcar, Firefly, Gates Car Hire, Hertz, Moto Pfohe, Sixt, Tany 97 and Thrifty have rental desks in Terminal 2.
Terminals 1 and 2 are connected by free shuttle bus service, which runs in a circuit every 30 minutes between 7:00AM - 7:00PM. After hours, shuttle bus service must be requested at the Information Desk or by telephone. Shuttle bus stops are clearly marked in front of each terminal.
Sofia Airport Metro Station is located in the eastern part of Terminal 2, with blue floor markings leading to it from the public area of the terminal. Metro Line 1 links the airport with the city center in an 18-minute journey, providing direct connections to residential complexes Druzhba, Mladost, Zapaden Park and Lyulin. Travel between the airport and the central bus and railway stations are possible by changing between Metro Lines 1 and 2 at Serdika Metro Station. BDZ Sofia-Plovdiv and Sofia-Karlovo railway lines are accessible from Iskarsko shose Metro station. Most Metro stations allow for easy transfer to city buses and trams. Metro trains run daily from 5:30AM - Midnight. Tickets can be purchased at vending machines in all Metro stations, including the Sofia Airport Metro Station. Bulgarian currency is accepted at all machines, and some machines accept credit cards. For more information on the Metro network, go to the Metropolitan website. For more information on BDZ passengers trains, visit the BDZ website.
From the airport, taxis can be hired at the offices of OK Supertrans, the official airport taxi service. OK Supertrans offices are located in the Arrivals area of both airport terminals. For safety reasons, do not accept unsolicited rides from taxi operators outside of the OK Supertrans office or from random taxi drivers waiting outside of the terminals. Yellow floor markings lead from the OK Supertrans offices to the taxi stand area.
Last Updated: 24 May 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.