Stuttgart Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Stuttgart Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Every five minutes a female voice was telling me not to leave my luggage unattended, in english, german and turkish. I hate her. -Barbara
June 2016 - Sleeping in this airport landside (before security) alone is discouraged. "Refugees" have recently been reported to be hanging out here.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Stuttgart International Sunport.
What to Expect
- Stuttgart Airport consists of 4 terminals that are connected directly to one another and share a single airside area.
- As of June 2016, there have been reports of refugees "casing out" passenger luggage. Exercise caution with your belongings if you plan to rest your eyes in the public area of the terminal. (janeAustralia, June 2016)
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- It can get noisy and cold, so ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones and a blanket are recommended.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Terminal 4 is said to be the quietest and most comfortable with flat benches on the Mezzanine Level, landside.
- Another good spot is said to be on the top level near the Observation Deck entrance.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel opposite Terminal 3 and other nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Stuttgart Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Stuttgart airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Elli-Beinhorn Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Lounge Area, Level 3. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€16.00) • Book Online (£22.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, take the elevator next to Gate 173. Hours: 5:55AM - 7:55PM (Daily).Lounge Access: Book Online (US$ 42)
Free WiFi is available at Stuttgart Airport for one hour. Connect to the “Telekom” network.
If sleeping in Stuttgart Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Mövenpick Hotel Stuttgart Airport & Messe - Located opposite Terminal 3. No airport shuttle.
- Mövenpick Hotel Stuttgart Messe - Located 200m from the airport terminal. No airport shuttle.
- Ibis Stuttgart Airport Messe - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Stuttgart Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - Get a glimpse at how the airport operates on an airport tour. Bookings must be done in advance starting in June. Departures: Wednesdays and Saturdays during the summer months at 10:30AM. Duration: 90 minutes. Rate: 7 € per adult / 3.50 € per child.
- Arcade - Pass the time playing the slots at Fair Play airport casino. Locations: T3, landside, Level 2 (Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM) • T4, landside, Level 3 (Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM).
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in T1 (Level 2, Level 3 landside at 2 locations, Level 3 airside), T3 (Level 3 at 2 locations) and T4 (Level 3).
- Baggage Trolleys - Baggage trolleys available to use, free of charge, but require a refundable deposit of 1 €, 50 Euro cents, 25 US cents or 1 CHF. Trolleys can be found in the parking lots, at terminal entrances and in the Baggage Reclaim area.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Church services are provided for travelers in Terminal 3, landside, Level 2. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM.
- Children’s Play Area - Lots of fun toys for riding, climbing and playing are available in the bright and colorful Kiddie Lands. Locations: T3, landside, Level 2 • T3, landside, Level 5 • T4, landside, Level 2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Currency Exchange - Reisebank offers currency exchange, traveler’s checks and VAT refunds. Locations: T1, Arrivals (Hours: 7:30AM - 7:45PM) • T3, Departures (Hours: 6:00AM - 11:15AM and 12:00PM - 2:00PM).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Travel Value & Duty-Free Shop offers duty-free shopping in three locations: T1, airside, Level 3 • T3, airside, Level 3 • T4, airside, Level 2. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. A variety of retail shops are also available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules with many opening as early as 4:00AM. You will find a 24-hour McDonald’s on the airport grounds.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Enjoy a hands-free layover! Self-service lockboxes are available at these rates: € 2 for a small locker, € 4 for a medium locker, € 6 for a large, XL or Ski locker. Credit cards and cash (Euros) are accepted for payment. Location: Right side of the terminal, behind the guard house.
- Luggage Wrapping - Wrap & Fly Location: T3, landside, Level 3. Hours: 5:30AM - 6:00PM.
- Massage Chairs - Location: T3, landside, Level 2. Hours: Open 24 hours. Rate: unknown
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Airport Medical Center. Location: T1, landside, Level 3 Hours: 8:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Wed) 8:00AM - 2:00PM (Thur-Fri).
- Observation Deck - Enjoy the panoramic views from atop the Visitor’s Terrace. Seating is available. Location: T3, landside, Level 5. Hours: 9:00AM - 7:00PM.
- Pharmacy - AeroAtoll is located in Terminal 2, Level 3. Hours: 8:00AM - 7:00PM (Mon -Fri) and 8:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat and Sun).
- Post Office - Location: T3, landside, Level 3. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Shoe Repair - Break a heel or need a key cut? Head to the Schuh and Schlüssel Service Center, Terminal 3, Landside, Level 2. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM.
- Showers - Not available
- Smokers’ Lounge - All visitors and travelers who are landside must smoke in designated areas outside of the front of the terminal. Once travelers go airside, there are two ventilated smokers’ lounges available. Locations: T1, airside, Gate level 3 • T4, airside, Gate level 2.
- Spa & Salon Services - La Biosthetique Styling Lounge. Location: T1, landside, Level 2. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Sleeper Policy
You will be permitted to stay inside the terminal overnight with a valid ticket.
Buses run direct between Terminal 1 (Arrivals Level) and several key locations in and around Stuttgart. At the time of this update, a single day ticket, good for unlimited rides on the date of validation, costs € 6.60. For bus routes, schedules and fare information, go to the VVS Transit website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in Terminal 3 (Level 2): Avis, Buchbinder, Enterprise, Europcar, Global Drive, Hertz and Sixt.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day outside of Terminal 1, Departures Level. At the time of this update, average fare between the airport and central Stuttgart is €30. Total one-way trip time is about 20 minutes.
S-Bahn commuter trains S2 and S3 connect the airport with Stuttgart Central Railway Station (Hauptbahnhof), running from around 5:00AM to just after Midnight. Departures are available every 10 - 20 minutes on weekdays, and every 30 minutes on weekends. There is an S-Bahn station on Level 1 of Terminal 1. For fare and route information, visit the VVS Transit website.
From Hauptbahnhof, passengers can change to or from the numerous Deutsche Bahn, ICE, EC and IC high-speed trains traveling to Baden-Württemberg and beyond. For Deutsche Bahn train timetables, routes and fares, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.