Darwin Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Darwin Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The couches were soft and long enough for most girls. If you're tall, that would be probably not comfortable enough for you. - AmoMattia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Darwin Airport.
What to Expect
- Darwin airport has a single terminal for both domestic and international flights.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- There are a few different 24 hour concession options.
- Some reviewers have complained about dirty bathrooms and seating areas, so consider bringing tissues, baby wipes, and hand sanitizer.
Where to Sleep
- According to a recent review (Nov, 2016), recent renovations and additions to the airport have made sleeping in the airport nearly impossible.
- Reviewers suggested sleeping on the floor near the escalators, or on one of the long benches found airside.
- In general, airside tends to have more comfortable options than landside, with better benches and less noise.
- Speaking of noise, earplugs or noise cancelling headphones are recommended!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are a few hotels within walking distance that also provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Free showers are available. See Showers in the airport guide below.
- There is a microwave room airside, near the International Departures gate.
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with an airline lounge membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Darwin Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, First Floor, next to Gate 1. Hours: Open daily one hour prior to the first Qantas service until the last Qantas flight departure. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Airside, Level 1, Opposite Gates 3 and 4. Hours: Open daily 45 minutes prior to the first Virgin Australia flight until the last Virgin Australia flight departure. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
- Catalina Lounge - Location: International Departures, Airside, 1st Floor, near Gate 13. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£29.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Darwin Airport. Connect to the “DarwinAirport” network.
If sleeping in Darwin Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Novotel Darwin Airport - Located 300m from the terminal. Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone located by the baggage carousel to call the hotel for pick-up. Pick-up is outside the glass double doors on the right-hand side.
- Mercure Darwin Airport Resort - Located 300m from the terminal. Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone located by the baggage carousel to call the hotel for pick-up. Pick-up is outside the glass double doors on the right-hand side.
- Quality Hotel Darwin Airport - (3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, collect your luggage and then call the hotel at +61-8-8948-9400.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Darwin Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Amusement Machines - I am not clear on what an amusement machine is, but they are located on the Ground and First Floors.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available throughout the terminal.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby changing rooms are available in these locations: near the Check-in desks, landside • in the Baggage Claim area, landside • 1st Floor, airside, near Green Bean Cafe and opposite Gate 9 • International Departures lounge, airside
- Baggage Trolleys - Available free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes. See our Airport Transportation section below.
- Change Machines - There are two of them, located near the Giancarlo Café & Bar on the ground floor.
- Currency Exchange - Travel Money Oz offers currency exchange in the Arrivals Hall (ground floor) and in the International Departures lounge (1st floor). Hours: unknown. You can also withdraw foreign currency from Travelex ATMs located throughout the terminal.
- Drinking Water - Water fountains can be found on the ground floor and in the Domestic Departures Lounge.
- Duty Free & Shopping -Duty-free shopping is available in International Departures (1st floor) and International Arrivals (ground floor). In addition, there is a newsstand, clothing/surf shop, and gift shop.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Dôme (1st floor, airside) ▪ Giancarlo Cafe and Bar (ground floor, landside).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Self-service luggage lockers are available at the airport, by credit card payment only. Rates range from $4 - $14 per 4-hour period or $6 - $16 per 24-hour period. Locker sizes available are mini (for keys, documents, etc.) • small (for carry-on luggage or backpack) • large (for large suitcases) • extra large (for multiple bags or some oversized items). Location: the walkway shelter in the Short Stay car park near the terminal. Hours: Open 24 hours
- Mailbox - Location: in front of the terminal.
- Mobile Charging - Yes
- Prayer Room - First Floor to the left of the Duty Free store.
- Showers - Shower facilities are located in the Domestic Departures lounge on the 1st floor. Showers are first-come first-serve and free to use, but you must supply your own soap, towel, etc.
- Smoking - There are designated smoking areas located outside the terminal.
- Viewing Terrace - Accessible on the first floor
The airport is open 24 hours.
Car rental desks are located on the ground floor, near the Baggage Collection area of the Arrivals Hall. The following agencies are located onsite: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot/Enterprise and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Mercure Darwin Airport Resort • Novotel Darwin Airport • Quality Hotel Darwin Airport.
Darwin Airport Shuttle offers a convenient and economical shared ride door-to-door shuttle service between the airport and all Darwin city accommodations. Shuttles run 24 hours a day, with schedules coordinated to meet all incoming and outgoing Darwin Airport flights. Total trip time between the airport and the city center is 15 minutes, plus pickup/drop-off time.
To book a ride, visit the Darwin Airport Shuttle website, or head to the Darwin Airport Shuttle desk in the Baggage Collection area of the Arrivals Hall. Fares start at AU$18 per person one-way (AU$30 per person for round-trip), with discounts available for multiple passengers.
Metered taxis are available from the taxi rank located in front of the airport terminal. At the time of this update, the average fare between the airport and Darwin CBD is between AU$25 - AU$30, with a surcharge of AU$3 for all fares leaving from the airport.
Last Updated: 09 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.