Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
They make almost continuous "This is a very special announcement for guest XXXX ... " calls that come so frequently and with such appalling sound quality that nobody ever seems to heed them - python
photo credit: Bidgee / Wikimedia
"My connecting flight was not till morning. I did not want to pay for a hotel which would cost me 26 round trip on the awful skybus to get to!
Domestic and International are connected and don't close at night. I walked around to scope out the best place to rest. A lot of people sleep on the ground up around the domestic check in. Astonishly some people sleep around the international check in which doesn't shut down and has loud frequent announcements and nothing but awful metal benches.
To get to the best place landside, go down the escalator just past the virgin domestic check-in. On the immediate left is a krispykreme with a long booth couch running down the wall. Easily accomodating 3 people. It is a bit noisy being next to the escalator with the wheels rolling across the metal grid, but announcements are quiet and muffled here. After flights finish it gets quieter at around 12am. Cleaners vacuum that area at 4am."
Have you been to Melbourne Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
It really warms my heart and makes me happy when I visit an airport's web site and it says on its facilities page "Whether you're planning a night at the Airport before your flight...." In other words, you are welcome to sleep in our airport. Thumb's Up Melbourne!!!
- United Club - Location: International Terminal 2, Airside, Satellite area, Level 1. Hours: 10am - 1215am. Rate: US$ 50 day pass
- Virgin Blue Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, landside
- Free WiFi is available at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport for an unknown amount of time.. Connect to the "FREE WIFI by MEL" network. A paid, unlimited WiFi service is also available.
- Internet kiosks are also available at 4 locations. Locations: Airside, Terminal 2 (International) - First Floor, Departures. Airside, Terminal 3 (Domestic - Virgin Blue & Rex) - Ground Floor.
If sleeping in the Melbourne Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Park Royal Melbourne International Airport - connected to the domestic and international terminals via covered walkways. Day rooms are offered based on availability.
- Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport - 400m walk from the domestic and international terminals. Day rooms are offered between 10am-6pm.
- Ibis Budget - 400m from the airport.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Melbourne Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Thrifty • Redspot. Location: Information Desks are located in the Domestic Terminal, while the offices are located in the Short-Term Car Park on the ground floor.
- Currency Exchange - ANZ and Travelex have locations throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Food & Drinks - There are several food and beverage concessions that are open 24 hours:
»Landside: Subway (Terminal 2) • McDonald's (Terminal 3, near Virgin check-in counters) • Villa & Hut (International Arrivals Terminal and Terminal 4)
»Airside: nothing open 24 hours
- Information Desk - There are two information desks: International Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall • Domestic Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 2 Arrivals. Hours: 5am - 1230am. Rates: from AU$ 8 (carry-on size) and $10 (large case or backpack) for 4 hours. Maximum storage time in 7 days.
- Melbourne Airport Golf Club - An 18-hole golf course where the feature hole is the 16th, a green that places players less than 60 metres below the flight path (which includes 747s). Location: 25 minutes from the airport and adjacent to the North/South runways. Rate: AUD $22-24
- Pharmacy - Location: Amcal International Pharmacy, Terminal 2. Hours: 6am - 11pm.
- Showers - Location: Terminal 2, Departure Level (Qantas Link), near Nando's, landside. Towels and shower kits can be purchased from Virgin Books & News.
open 24 hours
Terminal Quick Tips
- Go to the Virgin Blue Terminal (terminal 3)
- leather loungers
- shower in bathrooms downstairs near the baggage carousels (but hot water may not work)
- international terminal is open all night
Facebook and Twitter Tips
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Melbourne Travel Resources
- Melbourne Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 13 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.