Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
They make almost continuous "This is a very special announcement for guest XXXX ... " calls that come so frequently and with such appalling sound quality that nobody ever seems to heed them - python
by a traveller
October 2015 - As airports go, you could do an awful lot worse. Sure, it's never going to win any awards in terms of comfort, but on the whole I found my time in Melbourne airport waiting for my connecting flight satisfactory. In the early hours of the morning it's a ghost town save for a few airport employees wandering around, and the odd cleaner on one of those sit-on floor sweepers. It's also quiet for the most part, except for the occasional automated message coming out of the ceiling and the distant whir of a vacuum being used. Most of the shops were closed in the early hours, but places such as Subway remained open 24 hours. Vending machines were abundant but pricey. Most of the seating I encountered (in the domestic departures lounge at least) were those long plastic types with arm rests going through them so lying down was not possible. Most of the cafs/restaurants although closed had their seating area opened up and unlit, so this offers so additional comfort and privacy. Toilets everywhere and shower facilities available. Wifi free, found some charging points at a closed coffee shop which was useful for the electronics I'd used on the plane that were close to dying. Temperature was good, felt completely safe and at ease here, no one bothered me and although I didn't get any sleep I did feel well rested in time for my flight.
Have you been to Melbourne Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Melbourne Tullamarine airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Virgin Australia Lounge
Location: Terminal 3, Landside. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
- Qantas Club
Location: Airside, Domestic Departures. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Qantas Club
Location: Airside, International Departures, Level 1. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Air New Zealand Koru Club
Location: Airside, International Departures. Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport for up to 3 hours after which time you may try to log in again for free. Connect to the "FREE WIFI by MEL" network. A paid, unlimited WiFi service is also available. Additionally, Internet kiosks are available at 4 locations. Locations: Airside, Terminal 2 (International) - First Floor, Departures. Airside, Terminal 3 (Domestic - Virgin Blue & Rex) - Ground Floor.
If sleeping in Melbourne Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Park Royal Melbourne International Airport - (2 min walk from the airport) Connected to the domestic and international terminals via covered walkways. Day rooms are offered based on availability.
- Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport - Located 400m from the domestic and international terminals. A short walk from the airport, or there is free 24-hr airport shuttle service. Day rooms are offered between 10:00AM to 6:00PM.
- Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport - Located just 400m from the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Ciloms Airport Lodge Motel - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Melbourne Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available throughout the airport.
- Currency Exchange - ANZ and Travelex have locations throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Duty Free and Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as many other shops to pass the time, 3 book/magazine stores are open according to flight schedules in T2, T3 and T4.
- Family Services - Baby changing facilities can be found in 9 locations in Terminals 2 and 3, airside and landside.
- Food & Drinks - There are several food and beverage concessions that are open 24 hours:
» Landside: Subway (Terminal 2) • McDonald's (Terminal 3, near Virgin check-in counters)
» Airside: nothing open 24 hours
- Information Desk - There are two information desks: International Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall • Domestic Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 2 Arrivals. Hours: 5:00AM - 12:30AM. Rates: from AU$ 8 - $10 (up to 4 hours) • 10 - $12 (up to 8 hours) • $12 - 15 (up to 24 hours). Maximum storage time in 7 days.
- Medical Services - Provided at the Melbourne Airport Health and Medical Centre located in Terminal 1 (T1 - Qantas Domestic terminal), next to the pharmacy.
- Melbourne Airport Golf Club - An 18-hole golf course where the feature hole is the 16th, a green that places players less than 60 metres below the flight path (which includes 747s). Location: 25 minutes from the airport and adjacent to the North/South runways. Rate: AUD $22-24
- Pharmacy - Amcal International Pharmacy, Terminal 2. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM • Amcal International Pharmacy, Terminal 4. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM • According to the airport site there is a third pharmacy available beside the medical services centre, Terminal 1 (Quantas Domestic Terminal).
- Showers - Location: Terminal 2, Departure Level (Qantas Link), Landside, near Nando's • Terminal 2, First Floor, Airside, Departures, just past the Duty Free section. Towels and shower kits can be purchased from WHSmith and Rolling Luggage located in T2 Departures (before security) on level 1.
- Smoking - There are designated smoking areas located outside the Terminals.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Please note: Interstate and international travelers arriving into Melbourne can purchase a Myki Visitor Value Pack, which includes a preloaded rechargeable smart card good for traveling on Melbourne’s public transportation network (SkyBus not eligible), discounts at popular attractions and a souvenir wallet. For more information, go to the Public Transport Victoria website.
The public bus stop at Melbourne Airport is located at Terminal 1. Melbourne Airport is served by the following local buses: SmartBus Route 901 to/from Frankston (connects to Craigieburn train line at Broadmeadows Station); Route 478 to/from Airport West SC (Shopping Centre) via Melrose Drive; Route 479 between Airport West SC and Sunbury Station via Melbourne Airport; Route 482 to/from Airport West SC via South Centre Rd. For more information, visit the Public Transport Victoria website.
SkyBus offers a 24-hour express bus service between the airport and central Melbourne. Buses depart every 10 minutes, all day, every day (including holidays), and complimentary transfers are available to select hotels via free minibus service upon arrival at Southern Cross Station. A one-way adult fare is $18, with discounted fares available for children and economical one-way family fares available for one or two adults traveling with up to 4 children. Tickets can be purchased at the airport bus stop, at Southern Cross Station, and online at the SkyBus website.
The following regional bus companies are authorized to provide regular passenger service to/from Melbourne Airport: Airport Shuttle Bus (Ballarat area), Bendigo Airport Service (Bendigo area), Airport Bus Dandenong (Dandenong area), Airport Bus St Kilda (Frankston and Peninsula area), Gippy Shuttle (Gippsland - Trafalgar, Yarragon, Warragul, Drouin, Longwarry and Pakenham), Gull Airport Services (Geelong area), Airport Direct (Shepparton and southern Riverina) and Airport Bus Eastside (northern and eastern suburbs of Melbourne).
During ski season, ski resort shuttle buses can be found in the purple “Direct Bus” zone in the terminal forecourt. Areas served are Falls Creek, Mt. Buller, Mt. Hotham, Jindabyne and Thredbo.
Six car rental agencies operate onsite at the airport, with offices on the ground floor of the Short Term Car Park and information desks in the Domestic terminals: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot and Thrifty.
Metered taxis are available at taxi ranks located on the ground floor outside of Terminals 1, 4 and between Terminals 2 and 3. Pre-booked taxis and car hires (chauffeured vehicles) also serve the airport, picking up their passengers at Short Term Car Parking or providing meet and greet service from within baggage claim. Please note: Touting, or soliciting rides, is illegal in Victoria. Do not accept a ride from someone you did not pre-book a service with. Metered taxis may require prepayment for trips between 10:00PM - 5:00AM, in which the meter will still run and at the end of the journey, the passenger will either receive change for overpayment or be responsible for paying any overage on the meter. If you’re curious about how much your fare will be between two points of service, use this handy Taxi Fare Estimator offered by Taxi Services Commission of Victoria.
Terminal Quick Tips
- Go to the Virgin Blue Terminal (terminal 3)
- leather loungers
- shower in bathrooms downstairs near the baggage carousels (but hot water may not work)
- international terminal is open all night
Last Updated: 14 March 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.