Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
They make almost continuous "This is a very special announcement for guest XXXX ... " calls that come so frequently and with such appalling sound quality that nobody ever seems to heed them - python
by a traveller
October 2015 - As airports go, you could do an awful lot worse. Sure, it's never going to win any awards in terms of comfort, but on the whole I found my time in Melbourne airport waiting for my connecting flight satisfactory. In the early hours of the morning it's a ghost town save for a few airport employees wandering around, and the odd cleaner on one of those sit-on floor sweepers. It's also quiet for the most part, except for the occasional automated message coming out of the ceiling and the distant whir of a vacuum being used. Most of the shops were closed in the early hours, but places such as Subway remained open 24 hours. Vending machines were abundant but pricey. Most of the seating I encountered (in the domestic departures lounge at least) were those long plastic types with arm rests going through them so lying down was not possible. Most of the cafs/restaurants although closed had their seating area opened up and unlit, so this offers so additional comfort and privacy. Toilets everywhere and shower facilities available. Wifi free, found some charging points at a closed coffee shop which was useful for the electronics I'd used on the plane that were close to dying. Temperature was good, felt completely safe and at ease here, no one bothered me and although I didn't get any sleep I did feel well rested in time for my flight.
Have you been to Melbourne Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Melbourne Tullamarine airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- United Club - Location: International Terminal 2, Airside, Satellite area, Level 1. Hours: 10am - 1215am. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50) • United Club Membership.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Landside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (AUD 65) • Virgin Australia Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, Domestic Departures. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, International Departures, Level 1. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: Airside, International Departures. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (NZD 55/85) • Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport for an unknown amount of time. Connect to the "FREE WIFI by MEL" network. A paid, unlimited WiFi service is also available. Additionally, Internet kiosks are available at 4 locations. Locations: Airside, Terminal 2 (International) - First Floor, Departures. Airside, Terminal 3 (Domestic - Virgin Blue & Rex) - Ground Floor.
If sleeping in Melbourne Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Park Royal Melbourne International Airport - (2 min walk from the airport) Connected to the domestic and international terminals via covered walkways. Day rooms are offered based on availability.
- Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport - Located 400m from the domestic and international terminals. A short walk from the airport, or there is free 24-hr airport shuttle service. Day rooms are offered between 10am to 6pm.
- Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport - Located just 400m from the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Ciloms Airport Lodge Motel - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Melbourne Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Thrifty • Redspot. Location: Information Desks are located in the Domestic Terminal, while the offices are located in the Short-Term Car Park on the ground floor.
- Currency Exchange - ANZ and Travelex have locations throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Family Services - Baby changing facilities can be found in 9 locations in Terminals 2 and 3, airside and landside.
- Food & Drinks - There are several food and beverage concessions that are open 24 hours:
»Landside: Subway (Terminal 2) • McDonald's (Terminal 3, near Virgin check-in counters) • Villa & Hut (International Arrivals Terminal and Terminal 4)
»Airside: nothing open 24 hours
- Information Desk - There are two information desks: International Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall • Domestic Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 2 Arrivals. Hours: 5:00AM - 12:30AM. Rates: from AU$ 8 - $10 (up to 4 hours) • 10 - $12 (up to 8 hours) • $12 - 15 (up to 24 hours). Maximum storage time in 7 days.
- Melbourne Airport Golf Club - An 18-hole golf course where the feature hole is the 16th, a green that places players less than 60 metres below the flight path (which includes 747s). Location: 25 minutes from the airport and adjacent to the North/South runways. Rate: AUD $22-24
- Pharmacy - Location: Amcal International Pharmacy, Terminal 2. Hours: 6am - 11pm.
- Showers - Location: Terminal 2, Departure Level (Qantas Link), Landside, near Nando's • Terminal 2, First Floor, Airside, Departures, just past the Duty Free section. Towels and shower kits can be purchased from Virgin Books & News.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Terminal Quick Tips
- Go to the Virgin Blue Terminal (terminal 3)
- leather loungers
- shower in bathrooms downstairs near the baggage carousels (but hot water may not work)
- international terminal is open all night
Last Updated: 13 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.