Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
They make almost continuous "This is a very special announcement for guest XXXX ... " calls that come so frequently and with such appalling sound quality that nobody ever seems to heed them - python
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport.
What to Expect
- Tullamarine is a large airport with 4 terminals. Terminals 1, 2, and 3 are all in the same building, and Terminal 4 is a short walking distance away.
- Terminals 1, 3, and 4 cover domestic flights under different carriers. Terminal 2 is for all international departures.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in our airport guide below.
- There are several 24 hour concession options, airside only.
- Multiple reviewers warned of long and difficult security lines.
Where to Sleep
- Some reviewers recommended sleeping one of cafes once it closes down. In particular the Hudson’s cafe in Terminal 2 is easily accessible and has long benches and plentiful wall outlets.
- A few reviewers mentioned the Qantas Arrivals Hall as having great benches for sleeping.
- Reviewers have warned of both loud noises and cold air-conditioning, so we recommended ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones and warm layers for sleeping here.
- There is a hotel connected to the airport by covered walkway as well as other nearby hotels that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Free showers can be found both landside and airside in Terminal 2.
Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with an airline membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Landside. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, Domestic Departures. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, International Departures, Level 1. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: Airside, International Departures. Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport. From Terminals 2, 3 and 4, connect to the “Airport Free Wi-Fi” network and enter name and email address for access. Qantas provides free WiFi in Terminal 1. Paid WiFi is available by connecting to the “MELBOURNE AIRPORT” network and entering access time and payment information. Rates range from 4 - 20 AUD for 15 - 120 minutes of service.
If sleeping in Melbourne Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Park Royal Melbourne International Airport - (2 minute walk from the airport) Connected to the domestic and international terminals via covered walkways. Day rooms are offered based on availability.
- Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport - Located 400m from the domestic and international terminals. A short walk from the airport, or there is free 24-hr airport shuttle service. Day rooms are offered between 10:00AM to 6:00PM.
- Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport - Located just 400m from the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Ciloms Airport Lodge Motel - (2 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Melbourne Tullamarine Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available throughout the airport.
- Baby Care Facilities - Eleven baby change facilities are available in the airport, located throughout the landside and airside areas of T2, T3, and T4.
- Business Services - Printing, faxing, photocopies and online visa application services are available at Baggage Storage: SmarteCarte. Location: T2 Arrivals Hours: 5:00AM - 12:30AM.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex kiosks are available in three locations: T2, landside, Check-In Area, 1st Floor • T2, airside, Departures, 1st Floor • T2, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: Open for every scheduled flight.
- Duty Free and Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as many other shops to pass the time, 3 book/magazine stores are open according to flight schedules in T2, T3 and T4.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Hungry Jack’s (T2 International Departures, landside) • Macchinetta (T2 International Departures, airside) • McDonald’s (T3, landside, near Check-In desks) • Subway (T2 International, landside) • Villa & Hut (T2, landside, Arrivals, near Baggage Reclaim).
- Information Desk - The Traveller’s Information Service (TIS) offers local tourism and public transportation information, personalized travel services, SIM cards and more. Also available is the Student Welcome Desk service, which provides information, advice and a free welcome pack to arriving international students who will be living and studying in Melbourne. Location: T2, International Arrivals, ground floor Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Short and long-term luggage and item storage is available at the following rates: $9 - $18 per item (up to 4 hours) • $11 - $21 per item (up to 8 hours) • $13 - $26 hours per item (up to 24 hours). A 10% discount is given on storage periods of more than seven consecutive days. All rates are in AUD$ and vary, depending on the size of the item. Location: At the Baggage Storage: SmarteCarte kiosk in T2, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 5:00AM - 12:30AM.
- Luggage Wrapping - Protectabag offers luggage wrapping service in the airport. Location: T2 International, landside, Check-In, near Check-In Counter C.
- Medical Services - Medical Services - First aid, health screenings, travel immunizations, and general medical care are available at Melbourne Airport Health and Medical Centre. Location: T1 Qantas Domestic, landside, next to the pharmacy. Hours: 8:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon-Fri). Closed on weekends and public holidays.
- Melbourne Airport Golf Club - An 18-hole golf course where the feature hole is the 16th, a green that places players less than 60 metres below the flight path (which includes 747s). Location: 25 minutes from the airport and adjacent to the North/South runways. Rate: AUD $22-24
- Pet Hotel - Furbabies rejoice! Your cat or dog can enjoy a vacation of its own at Hanrob Pet Hotel at Melbourne Airport. Luxury boarding, Pet Skype, gourmet meals, and aromatherapy are some of perks offered. Location: 444 Melrose Drive, less than 1km from the airport terminal.
- Pharmacy - Amcal Pharmacy is located in T2 International, and in T4 Tiger Airways & Jetstar Terminal. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM. According to the airport website there is a third pharmacy available landside next to the Melbourne Airport Health and Medical Centre in T1 Qantas Domestic Terminal.
- Showers - Location: Terminal 2, Departure Level (Qantas Link), Landside, near Nando's • Terminal 2, First Floor, Airside, Departures, just past the Duty Free section. Towels and shower kits can be purchased from WHSmith and Rolling Luggage located in T2 Departures (before security) on level 1.
- Smoking - There are designated smoking areas located outside the Terminals.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Please note: Interstate and international travelers arriving into Melbourne can purchase a Myki Visitor Value Pack, which includes a preloaded rechargeable smart card good for traveling on Melbourne’s public transportation network (SkyBus not eligible), discounts at popular attractions and a souvenir wallet. For more information, go to the Public Transport Victoria website.
The public bus stop at Melbourne Airport is located at Terminal 1. Melbourne Airport is served by the following local buses: SmartBus Route 901 to/from Frankston (connects to Craigieburn train line at Broadmeadows Station); Route 478 to/from Airport West SC (Shopping Centre) via Melrose Drive; Route 479 between Airport West SC and Sunbury Station via Melbourne Airport; Route 482 to/from Airport West SC via South Centre Rd. For more information, visit the Public Transport Victoria website.
SkyBus offers a 24-hour express bus service between the airport and central Melbourne. Buses depart every 10 minutes, all day, every day (including holidays), and complimentary transfers are available to select hotels via free minibus service upon arrival at Southern Cross Station. A one-way adult fare is $18, with discounted fares available for children and economical one-way family fares available for one or two adults traveling with up to 4 children. Tickets can be purchased at the airport bus stop, at Southern Cross Station, and online at the SkyBus website.
The following regional bus companies are authorized to provide regular passenger service to/from Melbourne Airport: Airport Shuttle Bus (Ballarat area), Bendigo Airport Service (Bendigo area), Airport Bus Dandenong (Dandenong area), Airport Bus St Kilda (Frankston and Peninsula area), Gippy Shuttle (Gippsland - Trafalgar, Yarragon, Warragul, Drouin, Longwarry and Pakenham), Gull Airport Services (Geelong area), Airport Direct (Shepparton and southern Riverina) and Airport Bus Eastside (northern and eastern suburbs of Melbourne).
During ski season, ski resort shuttle buses can be found in the purple “Direct Bus” zone in the terminal forecourt. Areas served are Falls Creek, Mt. Buller, Mt. Hotham, Jindabyne and Thredbo.
Six car rental agencies operate onsite at the airport, with offices on the ground floor of the Short Term Car Park and information desks in the Domestic terminals: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre • Ciloms Airport Lodge Motel • Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport • Mantra Tullamarine Hotel • Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport • Quest Melbourne Airport.
Metered taxis are available at taxi ranks located on the ground floor outside of Terminals 1, 4 and between Terminals 2 and 3. Pre-booked taxis and car hires (chauffeured vehicles) also serve the airport, picking up their passengers at Short Term Car Parking or providing meet and greet service from within baggage claim. Please note: Touting, or soliciting rides, is illegal in Victoria. Do not accept a ride from someone you did not pre-book a service with. Metered taxis may require prepayment for trips between 10:00PM - 5:00AM, in which the meter will still run and at the end of the journey, the passenger will either receive change for overpayment or be responsible for paying any overage on the meter. If you’re curious about how much your fare will be between two points of service, use this handy Taxi Fare Estimator offered by Taxi Services Commission of Victoria.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.