Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
They make almost continuous "This is a very special announcement for guest XXXX ... " calls that come so frequently and with such appalling sound quality that nobody ever seems to heed them - python
"I have spent two full nights in Melbourne airport and I still have another one to go, so I consider myself quite the expert now! Why you may wonder? Well, I didn't have enough budget to book a hostel nor did I have enough to book an earlier flight. So there I was. With only the one review on sleepinginairports.com, and a horrible first night, I decided to share my findings with people in similar circumstances.
So... the best place to stay so far is definitely in Arrivals (the bottom floor), Departures is filled with seats, but they all have armrests. There are a few wooden benches, but they are right by the door which makes it absolutely freezing. The first night I spent on a carpet floor (together with many others) down the escalator from Virgin Airlines Service Desk. Wouldn't recommend it. Although there are plugs, it is noisy, the aircon seems to be on really high and very uncomfortable. It is also right by The Lounge, and you can almost smell the food and comfy couches in there, which only makes sleeping on the floor more dramatic. At one point I even whispered: ''feeeeeeed meeee'' to one of the flashy business man passing me to get into the lounge. Yes, it was as weird as it sounds.
I wasn't gonna do that again, so the next morning I went on an adventure to find a better spot and I'll be damned I found it! The Qantas Domestic Arrival hall has wooden benches that are right by plugs. My favourite one so far is right across the blue sign ''Thrifty''(car rental), behind a white pillar with trolleys next to it at Domestic Arrival suitcase thing 1. At about 5PM it is already deserted, the airport wakes up at 5AM though. So if you want to get some sleep, I would recommend to go to bed early.
The bench at Qantas arrival is half against a pillar and half behind the trolley thing, which means you can 1. lean up against your suitcase if you put your suitcase at the top of the bench (it wont slide of because of the pillar) and 2. you have a little square space between the pillar, trolleys and you where you can put your handluggage and nobody will be able to take it without you waking up. There is two plugs that both work right next to it and WiFi is unlimited in the whole airport (yush!).
There is another bench that is not wooden but black and puffy (the only one I saw without armrests) but there is no plugs there. I sometimes went there just to sleep a little and than went back to ''my'' bench at arrival 1. That bench is in between Domestic and International, if you walk from Arrival Qantas Luggage belt 1 past the Travel services towards the International terminal, you will pass it on your left hand side.
Good luck everybody!"
Have you been to Melbourne Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Melbourne Tullamarine airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- United Club - Location: International Terminal 2, Airside, Satellite area, Level 1. Hours: 10am - 1215am. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50) • United Club Membership.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Landside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (AUD 65) • Virgin Australia Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, Domestic Departures. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, International Departures, Level 1. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: Airside, International Departures. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (NZD 55/85) • Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport for an unknown amount of time. Connect to the "FREE WIFI by MEL" network. A paid, unlimited WiFi service is also available. Additionally, Internet kiosks are available at 4 locations. Locations: Airside, Terminal 2 (International) - First Floor, Departures. Airside, Terminal 3 (Domestic - Virgin Blue & Rex) - Ground Floor.
If sleeping in Melbourne Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Park Royal Melbourne International Airport - (2 min walk from the airport) Connected to the domestic and international terminals via covered walkways. Day rooms are offered based on availability.
- Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport - Located 400m from the domestic and international terminals. A short walk from the airport, or there is free 24-hr airport shuttle service. Day rooms are offered between 10am to 6pm.
- Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport - Located just 400m from the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Ciloms Airport Lodge Motel - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Melbourne Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Thrifty • Redspot. Location: Information Desks are located in the Domestic Terminal, while the offices are located in the Short-Term Car Park on the ground floor.
- Currency Exchange - ANZ and Travelex have locations throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Family Services - Baby changing facilities can be found in 9 locations in Terminals 2 and 3, airside and landside.
- Food & Drinks - There are several food and beverage concessions that are open 24 hours:
»Landside: Subway (Terminal 2) • McDonald's (Terminal 3, near Virgin check-in counters) • Villa & Hut (International Arrivals Terminal and Terminal 4)
»Airside: nothing open 24 hours
- Information Desk - There are two information desks: International Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall • Domestic Terminal, ground floor, Arrivals Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 2 Arrivals. Hours: 5:00AM - 12:30AM. Rates: from AU$ 8 - $10 (up to 4 hours) • 10 - $12 (up to 8 hours) • $12 - 15 (up to 24 hours). Maximum storage time in 7 days.
- Melbourne Airport Golf Club - An 18-hole golf course where the feature hole is the 16th, a green that places players less than 60 metres below the flight path (which includes 747s). Location: 25 minutes from the airport and adjacent to the North/South runways. Rate: AUD $22-24
- Pharmacy - Location: Amcal International Pharmacy, Terminal 2. Hours: 6am - 11pm.
- Showers - Location: Terminal 2, Departure Level (Qantas Link), Landside, near Nando's • Terminal 2, First Floor, Airside, Departures, just past the Duty Free section. Towels and shower kits can be purchased from Virgin Books & News.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Terminal Quick Tips
- Go to the Virgin Blue Terminal (terminal 3)
- leather loungers
- shower in bathrooms downstairs near the baggage carousels (but hot water may not work)
- international terminal is open all night
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Melbourne Travel Resources
- Melbourne Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 13 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.