Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
They make almost continuous “This is a very special announcement for guest XXXX … ” calls that come so frequently and with such appalling sound quality that nobody ever seems to heed them – python
MEL Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport (Code: MEL).
What to Expect
Melbourne Tullamarine Airport consists of three terminals (T1, T2 and T3) housed in the same building, and a separate fourth terminal (T4) within walking distance of the main complex. The terminals host a combined 68 gates, and all offer airside and landside dining and shopping options, with at least a couple providing 24-hour service. WiFi is available, though outlets to charge mobile devices may be hard to find (there’s reportedly multiple outlets along the corridor between T3 and T4). Additional comfort can be found through fee-based access to one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Melbourne Airport
Many travellers report difficulty finding successful sleeping spots in this airport, though we have received a few success stories. Avoid T4, as it reportedly gets locked down at midnight, and try the landslide of T3 in a corridor heading towards the security checkpoint (closed with shutters at night), or benches in the T1 arrivals area. The connecting corridor between T3 and T4 is carpeted and has some armrest-style seating, but is considered quiet. Explore our guide to sleeping in Melbourne Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to the airport by covered walkway, and others within a quick walk or free shuttle ride away. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Good to Know
Free showers can be found on both the airside and landside of Terminal 2.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If sleeping in the airport overnight doesn’t appeal to you, and you have the budget, there are hotels near Melbourne airport:
- ParkRoyal Melbourne International Airport – (2 minute walk from the airport) Connected to the domestic and international terminals via covered walkways. Day rooms are offered based on availability. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport – Located 400m from the domestic and international terminals. A short walk from the airport, or there is free 24-hour airport shuttle service. Day rooms are offered between 10:00AM to 6:00PM. » Check Rates
- Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport – Located just 400m from the airport. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Ciloms Airport Lodge Motel – (2 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Melbourne Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Koru Club or Qantas Club). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Qantas Club – Multiple Locations (The Qantas Club T1 • Chairman’s Club T1 • Domestic Business Lounge).
Air New Zealand Lounge – Location: Airside, International Departures. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
American Express Lounge – coming soon
Marhaba Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (AUD$75)
Qantas Club – Multiple Locations (International First Class Lounge • International Business Lounge)
Plaza Premium Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, International Departures Area, near Gate 9. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Passes The House – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, next to Gate 10. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes.
Virgin Australia Lounge – Location: Terminal 3, Landside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of Virgin Australia Airlines ticket • Lounge membership programs.
REX Lounge – Location: Terminal 4, Airside, Domestic Departures Area, near Gate 30. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (with REX Airlines ticekt) • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Terminal 2 – The Emirates Lounge • Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge Singapore Airlines Business Class Lounge.
Related pages: Melbourne Tullamarine Airport Lounges
Free WiFi is available at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport. From Terminals 2, 3 and 4, connect to the “Airport Free Wi-Fi” network and enter name and email address for access. Qantas provides free WiFi in Terminal 1. Paid WiFi is available by connecting to the “MELBOURNE AIRPORT” network and entering access time and payment information. Rates range from 4 – 20 AUD for 15 – 120 minutes of service.
- Business Services – Printing, faxing, photocopies and online visa application services are available at Baggage Storage: SmarteCarte. Location: T2 Arrivals Hours: 5:00AM – 12:30AM.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes. Locations:
- Outside the airport at T1 Drop-Off zone. Here you will find red boxes for regular mail and yellow boxes for express post.
- Terminal 4 Car Park. Mailboxes are available as well postal lockers which allow you to collect, send or return parcels.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Sixteen baby change facilities are available in the airport, located throughout the landside and airside areas of all terminals.
- Children’s Play Area – A play area is located in T2, Airside, opposite gate 15B.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Hudsons Coffee (T2, Landside) • Hungry Jack’s (T2, Airside, near Gate 3) • Macchinetta (T3 Landside, Level M) • McDonald’s (T3, landside, in the T1/T2 Walkway) • Subway (T2, Landside, in the T1/T2 Walkway) • Villa & Hut (T2, landside, Arrivals, near Baggage Reclaim).
- Water Stations – Water stations with filtered water are available in all terminals.
- Information Desk – The Traveller’s Information Service (TIS) offers local tourism and public transportation information, personalized travel services, SIM cards and more. Also available is the Student Welcome Desk service, which provides information, advice and a free welcome pack to arriving international students who will be living and studying in Melbourne. Location: T2, International Arrivals, ground floor Hours: 7:00AM – 12:00AM.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Melbourne and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there is a Flight Centre in T2 (Airside, opposite Counter K) that can probably be of assistance.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Need a place to store your bags?
- Storage – Short and long-term luggage and item storage is available at the following rates: $9 – $18 per item (up to 4 hours) • $11 – $21 per item (up to 8 hours) • $13 – $26 hours per item (up to 24 hours). A 10% discount is given on storage periods of more than seven consecutive days. All rates are in AUD$ and vary, depending on the size of the item. Location: At the Baggage Storage: SmarteCarte kiosk in T2, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 5:00AM – 12:30AM.
- Lockers – Available at the T4 Terminal Car Park, Ground Floor. Rates and hours: unknown.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protectabag offers luggage wrapping service in the airport. Location: T2 International, landside, Check-In, near Check-In Counter C. Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00AM.
- Medical Services – First aid, health screenings, travel immunizations, and general medical care are available at Melbourne Airport Health and Medical Centre. Location: T1, landside, next to the pharmacy. Hours: 8:00AM – 4:00PM (Mon – Fri) and closed weekends.
- Pharmacy – Amcal Pharmacy can be found in the following locations:
- Terminal 1, Landside: opposite check-in desks. Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM
- Terminal 1, Airside: opposite Gate 1. Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM
- Terminal 2, Landside: opposite check in counter B. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM
- Terminal 4, Landside: opposite the screening point. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM
- Mobile Charging – Mobile charging stations can be found in the following locations: T2, Airside, near Gates 1, 2 and 3 • T3, Airside, near Gates 4 through 9 • T4, Airside, in front of the food court. One reader let us know that “in terminal 3, just before the security check there are benches and several plugs that can be used for charging.” While another reader tells us that Middle Ground coffee place between T1 and T2 has outlets for most seats. (February 2020)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside in all terminals except Terminal 4 which only offers 1 machine.
- Banking Services – Qudos Bank offers full banking services including currency exchange. T1, Airside, Level M, near Gate 21. Hours: 8:30AM – 4:30PM.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex offers services in these locations:
- Terminal 1, landside: 1 location, open 4:30AM – 8:00PM.
- Terminal 2, landside: 3 locations, all open according to flight schedules.
- Terminal 2, airside: 3 locations, all open according to flight schedules.
- Pet Hotel – Furbabies rejoice! Your cat or dog can enjoy a vacation of its own at Hanrob Pet Hotel at Melbourne Airport. Luxury boarding, Pet Skype, gourmet meals, and aromatherapy are some of perks offered. Location: 444 Melrose Drive, less than 1km from the airport terminal.
- Prayer Room – A prayer room is available on the Ground Floor between Terminals 2 and 3. Hours: 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Chairs can be found in T3, Airside, at Gates 5, 7 and 9. Rates: $2 for 5 mins.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free and Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in T2 during normal flight operation hours. In addition, a variety of retail shops are located throughout the airport. Hudson News has 9 locations (open for all flights) at the airport for any last minute items. T2 now features luxury shopping such as Coach, Tiffany & Co., etc.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Location: Terminal 2, Departure Level (Qantas Link), Landside, near Nando’s • Terminal 2, First Floor, Airside, Departures, just past the Duty Free section. Towels and shower kits can be purchased from WHSmith and Rolling Luggage located in T2 Departures (before security) on level 1.
- Smoking – There are designated smoking areas located outside the Terminals.
Things to do & see
- Melbourne Airport Golf Club – An 18-hole golf course where the feature hole is the 16th, a green that places players less than 60 metres below the flight path (which includes 747s). Location: 25 minutes from the airport and adjacent to the North/South runways. Rate: AUD $22-24.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Melbourne Tullamarine airport is served by the following airlines: Air Asia • Air Calin • Air Canada • Air China • Air India • Air New Zealand • Air North • Air Vanuatu • Alliance Airlines • Capital Airlines • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Emirates • Etihad Airways • Fiji Airways • Garuda Indonesia • Hainan Airlines • Japan Airlines • Jetstar • LATAM • Malindo Air • Malaysia Airlines • Philippines Airlines • Qantas • Qatar Airways • Regional Express • Royal Brunei Airlines • Scoot • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • SriLankan Airlines • Thai Airways • Tigerair • United Airlines • Vietnam Airlines • Virgin Australia • Xiamen Airlines.
Tullamarine airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you are looking for a shuttle bus to the downtown area, you need to connect to a rail line or you need to reach your hotel, there is probably a bus for you. To select which bus is best for you, visit the Melbourne Airport website.
Six car rental agencies operate onsite at MEL airport, with offices on the ground floor of the Short Term Car Park and information desks in the Domestic terminals: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Redspot • Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre • Ciloms Airport Lodge Motel • Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport • Mantra Tullamarine Hotel • Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport • Quest Melbourne Airport.
Metered taxis are available at taxi ranks located on the ground floor outside of Terminals 1, 4 and between Terminals 2 and 3. Pre-booked taxis and car hires (chauffeured vehicles) also serve the airport, picking up their passengers at Short Term Car Parking or providing meet and greet service from within baggage claim. If you’re curious about how much your fare will be between two points of service, use this handy Taxi Fare Estimator offered by Taxi Services Commission of Victoria.
Last updated: 2020-10-20
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.