Read more about this airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Sydney Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
It's unbelievable and embarrassing for Australia that there is a charge to transfer between the domestic and international terminals. - guest
photo credit: russavia / Wikimedia
by a traveller
I spent the night at Sydney Airport recently. Before that I read a lot of the reviews that are up on your website. After reading them I was quite worried about staying there to say the least.
So the first good news for everyone who is thinking about spending the night. It’s not as bad as some of the reviews make it seem!
It is true though, that you get kind of locked in between two gates. But its not too bad. There are toilets (that are being renovated right now – March 2014), sockets, free wifi and two machines selling snacks and drinks.
I came to the airport around 8pm on Saturday. My flight was scheduled for 6 a.m. the next morning. First I was looking for the designated area where you can spend the night to save my seat. It is located as described in other reviews. Between the international terminal and where you go down to the trains. It wasn’t too crowded when I arrived and I first choose a seat where I could be happy all night, got my stuff to keep me busy out. Around 10 p.m the area got more crowded and people were staring to sit on the floor. My new seat neighbor told me why: The domestic terminal was closed and everyone was told to come here. Around 3a.m. the international Terminal opens again and everyone goes to check-in for their international flights.
The night was not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. True it got freezing cold, but with a jumper and a towel as blanket it was ok. It wasn’t too noisy. The people working there (cleaning and picking up the carts) were nice and friendly. Security was nice as well, they just came once to see my passport.
All in all I would stay there again! Happy travels everyone.
Have you been to Sydney Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Sydney airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Sydney Domestic Airport, Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (AUD 65) • Virgin Australia Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Domestic Departures, Departures Level, opposite Gates 4 and 5. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, International Departures, Level 3. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (NZD 55/85) • Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
- First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gate 8-37
- Silver Kris Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63
- The Golden Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63
- Emirates Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63
- Rex Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, airside, Gate 47
Free WiFi is available at Sydney Airport. Connect to the '-Free SYD-' network. Additionally, free internet kiosks are available throughout Terminal 1 and at Everywhere Internet in Terminal 2 (departure level).
If sleeping in the Sydney Airport does not appeal to you (and we really wouldn't blame you), there are hotels near the airport....
- Rydges Sydney Airport - Across from the International Terminal.
- Hotel Formule 1 - budget hotel located a 10 minute walk from the airport. (Shuttle Hours: Every 30 minutes between the hours 6am - 11pm. Fee: $)
- Ibis Sydney Airport (Shuttle Hours: unknown. Fee: AUD 6 each way)
- Mercure Sydney Airport - (Shuttle Hours: 5am - 11pm. Fee: AUD 6 each way)
- Stamford Sydney Airport Hotel - (Shuttle Hours: unknown. Fee: AUD 6 each way)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Sydney Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are ANZ Bank, Travelex and Westpac ATMs located throughout Terminals 1 and 2. Travelex has 33 multi-currency ATMs throughout the airport.
- Children's Play Areas - Locations: Terminal 1 - Landside, between counters A & B and at the end of check-in counter J / Airside, between Gates 31 & 33 and Gates 58 & 59 in pier C.
- Children's Cinema - The Kid's Cinema provides a comfortable area for kids to watch kid friendly tv shows. Location: Terminal 1 - Airside, near Gate 33.
- Currency Exchange - ANZ (Terminal 1 - departures and arrivals levels) and Travelex (Terminal 2 - airside) offer foreign exchange services.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no 24 hour food or beverage concessions available at this airport.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 1, arrivals level, opposite Travel Concierge (hours: 530am - 9pm) • Terminal 2, arrivals level, near carousel 6 (hours: 530am - 9pm)
- Mobile Charging - Yes. One of our readers found two stations in Terminal 1, landside, near check-in counter B and the eatery • Terminal 1, landside, near check-in counter F.
- Observation Deck - Location: Terminal 1 - walk through Terrace Bar or use the passageway near check-in counter B to gain access to the stairs leading up to the deck.
- Prayer Room - Location: Terminal 1, level 3 (airside) • Terminal 1, near the taxi holding area (landside).
- Showers - Free showers are available, but bring your own soap and towel. Locations: Terminal 1 - Landside: Arrivals Level (behind glass lifts), near check-in counter B and check-in counter K. Airside: Gate 24, Gate 25, Gate 31, Gate 51.
- Smoking - There are designated smoking areas in the Terminal 1 Terrace Bar (landside). If you are a transit passenger, there are no designated smoking areas, so you better travel with a patch or lots of gum.
3am - 11pm (Terminal 1) • 4am - 1100pm (Terminal 2)
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Many bus services operate to and from Sydney Airport.
Sydney Buses: They operate a timetabled service, Route 400, between Bondi Junction and Burwood which stops at both International and Domestic terminals. For details on fares, timetables and connections to other parts of Sydney view www.sydenybuses.info
Hotel transfer - airport hotels only: Airport hotels run shuttle services to the airport for a minimal fee. Please check with your hotel for timetable information and costs.
The airport is 13 minutes by train from the city. There are train stations located at both terminals, which operate as part of the Airport Link train service.
The domestic terminal train station is located directly between T2 and T3 terminals and is accessible from within the terminals from Arrivals. The International terminal train station is located at the northern end of the terminal and accessible from Arrivals.
Airport Link trains run every 10 minutes. The international and domestic rail stations link directly to the City Circle line, which means most city destinations are within a short walk of stations. For more information about Airport Link, including fares, maps and travel planners, visit: www.airportlink.com.au/
Each terminal has its own sheltered taxi rank. Supervisors can organise taxis with baby capsules, wheelchair access, five-seaters and maxi taxis for larger groups or station wagons for large amounts of baggage.
Some approximate return fares you can expect to pay to and from the Airport (quoted in AU Dollars) Sydney City $45-55 (one way) and North Sydney $55-$65 (one way). A $4 airport toll is payable by all passengers taking a taxi from any of Sydney Airport’s taxi ranks.
Car rentals are available from well-known providers and located at the arrivals hall at both terminals. Car rental companies include: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Redspot • Thrifty. Location: Arrivals Area of both terminals.
Airport Transportation: Inter-Terminal Transfers
The domestic and international terminals are located separately. There are several options available for transfer, depending on your flight details and how much time you have to make your connection.
- The T-Bus is a shuttle bus that operates between T1 International and T2/T3 Domestic Terminals. The bus stops are located on the Arrivals level at T1 Bus Bay 1 near McDonalds and T2 on the first roadway in the centre of the terminal. Hours: 6am - 9pm. Journey Time: 10 minutes. Rate: $5.50 per person
- Airport Link offers a $5.80 (one way, per person) transfer ticket for passengers transferring between the T1 International and T2/T3 Domestic terminals. The journey takes only 2 minutes and there are frequent services between 5am and midnight, seven days a week.
Visit the Sydney Airport web site for more details.
Terminal Quick Tips
- overnight sleepers will be corraled into a crowded and uncomfortable area for the night. You will need evidence of a flight the next day.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Sydney Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 17 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.