In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Sydney Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
A good tip: drag one of the hard chairs away from the noisy people, tip it backwards against a wall, and you have a semi-comfortable bed. - tranquilo_traveler
photo credit: russavia / Wikimedia
by a traveller
I spent the night at Sydney Airport recently. Before that I read a lot of the reviews that are up on your website. After reading them I was quite worried about staying there to say the least.
So the first good news for everyone who is thinking about spending the night. It’s not as bad as some of the reviews make it seem!
It is true though, that you get kind of locked in between two gates. But its not too bad. There are toilets (that are being renovated right now – March 2014), sockets, free wifi and two machines selling snacks and drinks.
I came to the airport around 8pm on Saturday. My flight was scheduled for 6 a.m. the next morning. First I was looking for the designated area where you can spend the night to save my seat. It is located as described in other reviews. Between the international terminal and where you go down to the trains. It wasn’t too crowded when I arrived and I first choose a seat where I could be happy all night, got my stuff to keep me busy out. Around 10 p.m the area got more crowded and people were staring to sit on the floor. My new seat neighbor told me why: The domestic terminal was closed and everyone was told to come here. Around 3a.m. the international Terminal opens again and everyone goes to check-in for their international flights.
The night was not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. True it got freezing cold, but with a jumper and a towel as blanket it was ok. It wasn’t too noisy. The people working there (cleaning and picking up the carts) were nice and friendly. Security was nice as well, they just came once to see my passport.
All in all I would stay there again! Happy travels everyone.
Have you been to Sydney Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Virgin Blue Lounge - Location: 2, airside
- Qantas Club - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 8-37 and Terminal 2, airside, opposite Gate 49
- First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gate 8-37
- Air New Zealand Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63
- Silver Kris Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63
- The Golden Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63
- Emirates Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, towards Gates 59-63
- Rex Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, airside, Gate 47
Free WiFi is available at Sydney Airport for two hours. Connect to “Free Internet by sponsors name & SYD”. Additionally, free internet kiosks are available throughout Terminal 1 and at Everywhere Internet in Terminal 2 (departure level).
If sleeping in the Sydney Airport does not appeal to you (and we really wouldn't blame you), there are hotels near the airport....
- Rydges Sydney Airport - Across from the Intenational Terminal.
- Hotel Formule 1 - budget hotel located a 10 minute walk from the airport. (Shuttle Hours: Every 30 minutes between the hours 6am - 11pm. Fee: $)
- Ibis Sydney Airport (Shuttle Hours: unknown. Fee: AUD 6 each way)
- Mercure Sydney Airport - (Shuttle Hours: 5am - 11pm. Fee: AUD 6 each way)
- Stamford Sydney Airport Hotel - (Shuttle Hours: unknown. Fee: AUD 6 each way)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Sydney Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are ANZ Bank, Travelex and Westpac ATMs located throughout Terminals 1 and 2. Travelex has 33 multi-currency ATMs throughout the airport.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Redspot • Thrifty. Location: Arrivals Area of both terminals.
- Children's Play Areas - Locations: Terminal 1 - Landside, between counters A & B and at the end of check-in counter J / Airside, between Gates 31 & 33 and Gates 58 & 59 in pier C.
- Children's Cinema - The Kid's Cinema provides a comfortable area for kids to watch kid friendly tv shows. Location: Terminal 1 - Airside, near Gate 33.
- Currency Exchange - ANZ (Terminal 1 - departures and arrivals levels) and Travelex (Terminal 2 - airside) offer foreign exchange services.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no 24 hour food or beverage concessions available at this airport.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 1, arrivals level, opposite Travel Concierge (hours: 530am - 9pm) • Terminal 2, arrivals level, near carousel 6 (hours: 530am - 9pm)
- Mobile Charging - not available
- Observation Deck - Location: Terminal 1 - walk through Terrace Bar or use the passageway near check-in counter B to gain access to the stairs leading up to the deck.
- Prayer Room - Location: Terminal 1, level 3 (airside) • Terminal 1, near the taxi holding area (landside).
- Showers - Free showers are available, but bring your own soap and towel. Locations: Terminal 1 - Landside: Arrivals Level (behind glass lifts), near check-in counter B and check-in counter K. Airside: Gate 24, Gate 25, Gate 31, Gate 51.
- Smoking - There are designated smoking areas in the Terminal 1 Terrace Bar (landside). If you are a transit passenger, there are no designated smoking areas, so you better travel with a patch or lots of gum.
3am - 11pm (Terminal 1) • 4am - 1100pm (Terminal 2)
Getting Around: Airport Transportation
Shockingly, there is a fee to transfer terminals between the International (T1) and Domestic (T2) terminals at Sydney Airport.
- The T-Bus operates between 6am - 9pm. Journey Time: 10 minutes. Rate: $5.50 per person
- The Airport Link train operates between 5am - 12am. Journey Time: 2 minutes. Rate: $5.00 per person
Terminal Quick Tips
- overnight sleepers will be corraled into a crowded and uncomfortable area for the night. You will need evidence of a flight the next day.
Facebook and Twitter Tips
- If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, submit a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Sydney Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 17 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.