Fort Lauderdale Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Fort Lauderdale Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Aside from the sleeping condition, this airport has Free WiFi. It actually is better than some roadside motels!! - mhsaa flyer
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Fort Lauderdale International Airport.
What to Expect
- An airport comprised of four terminals centered around its parking lots: Terminal 1 (Concourses C and D), Terminal 2 (Concourse D), Terminal 3 (Concourses E and F) and Terminal 4 (Concourses G and H)
- Steamy on the outside, frozen tundra on the inside, the A/C is on full blast inside so bring a blanket or a sweater!
- Airport shops and restaurants shut down at night.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- A popular area to sleep in is the Rental Car Center. There is a dimly-lit corner with benches and outlets across from National on Level 2. Level 3 is carpeted area and has clean bathrooms and a Starbucks, but is also brightly lit, so your sleep mask handy! One reviewer preferred a bench near Dollar on Level 4.
- Cushioned couches can be found in baggage claim, but have your earplugs handy for those loud and repetitive overhead announcements!
- Padded, armrest-free three-seater benches can be found throughout the Rental Car Center.
- There is no hotel located directly at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide a free airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only.
Airport shops and restaurants close at night. Stash some snacks and beverages for later!
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with a day pass or airline membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Fort Lauderdale Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Fort Lauderdale airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Airside, next to the gate Information Center. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Gate C1. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • United Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Fort Lauderdale Airport.
If you do not have a mobile device there are nternet Kiosks are available in Terminals 1, 2 and 3
If sleeping in Fort Lauderdale Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Crowne Plaza Ft Lauderdale Airport/Cruise - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South - (10 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available. Shuttle to cruise port for nominal fee.
- Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale 17th St Convention Center - (10 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and cruise port.
- Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port Hotel - (12 min from the airport) Free 24-hr shuttle service to the airport and cruise port.
- Super 8 Dania/Fort Lauderdale Airport - (13 min from the airport) Reviews are mixed, but this budget hotel is the closest one offering free shuttle service. The shuttle goes to/from the airport and cruise port from 6:00AM to 11:00PM daily.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Fort Lauderdale Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Some of these ATMs also dispense local/international prepaid calling cards. Locations: T1, landside, Baggage Claim Lower Level • T1, airside, Concourses B and C • T3, airside, Concourse F • T4, landside, Upper Departures Level • T4, airside, Concourse H • Car Rental Center, 2nd floor, east of Concourse B crossover. An ATM located in T2 (airside, Concourse D) dispenses foreign currency (USD, Euro and CAD) and local/international prepaid calling cards.
- Baggage Carts - Smarte Cartes are located throughout the airport terminals (Upper and Lower levels) and parking garages. Fee: $5 (25-cent refund for return), credit cards accepted. Carts cannot be taken on the airport’s courtesy buses, but if you are using a Smarte Carte and need to board the bus, ask the bus driver for a Smarte Carte token to continue luggage cart use from your drop-off point at the airport.
- Business Center - Offering a wide range of business and travel services, including currency exchange, ATM, notary, fax, copying and more. Hours: 7:30AM - 5:00PM Location: landside, T2, Upper Level Departures *Business centers located in T3 and 4 offer limited services.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Location: T4, Landside, Arrivals Level. Hours: 8:30AM - 9:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside for passengers on international flights. Locations: Terminal 2 (Concourse D) • Terminal 3 (Concourses E and F) • Terminal 4 (Concourse H).
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. Vending machines are available landside. Harvest & Grounds (T4, landside, Upper Departures Level) is open 24 hours.
- Live Music - FLL Terminal Tunes offers live music shows in the airport. Dates, times and terminal location varies per show.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - You can enjoy your layover luggage-free! Leave your bags with Public Baggage Storage, available in all four terminals. Hours of operation: 9:00AM - 5:30PM, open daily in Terminal 2. In Terminals 1, 3 and 4, storage is available on Saturdays and Sundays only.
- Luggage Wrapping -Yes, available for $15.00 per bag which includes loss and damage insurance. 4 locations: Terminal 1 (Hours: 6:00AM - 3:30PM Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat AND 6:00AM - 9:00PM Tues and Sat) • Terminal 3 (Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM Daily) • Terminal 4 (Hours:6:00AM - 10:00PM Daily)
- Mobile Charging - Self-service phone chargers are available landside near the ATM at Terminal 1 Baggage Claim (Lower Level). Fee: unknown.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the terminal.
Can I Sleep In Fort Lauderdale Airport?
This is the official statement from the Fort Lauderdale Airport regarding sleeping in the airport:
"You can only stay in a pre-security waiting area (not on the concourse) for the night.
Our seating is attached chairs with arm rests.
Heavy-duty cleaning is often conducted at night.
Food and beverage service is limited.
It can get cold in the terminals, so bring warm cloths."
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Broward County Transit (BCT) provides easy access to the Amtrak Station via Route 1. To pick up the bus, head to the Rental Car Center, Stop 7. Travel time varies since this is a wave-off bus and may make frequent stops. A direct trip will take about 10 minutes.
The Tri-Rail commuter train is also a good option. You will need to pick up a free shuttle from any terminal, and take a short ride to the Tri-rail Hollywood International Airport Station at Dania Beach. From there, use FL-2 to the Amtrak/Tri-Rail Park. Travel time using Tri-Rail should be about 10 minutes.
Taxis are also available from the Rental Car Center and will take about 10 minutes of travel time.
BCT (Broward County Transit) operates daily bus service to and from the airport via bus Route 1. The bus stop is Stop 7 at the Rental Car Center. Visit the Broward County Transit website for fares, schedules and route information.
Passengers can rent cars on-site at the airport’s Rental Car Center, a building located adjacent to Terminal 1. The following agencies operate from the Rental Car Center: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • E-Z Rent A Car • Hertz • National • Payless • Royal and Thrifty.
Tri-Rail provides service between Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport Station in Dania Beach and Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. Free shuttle buses travel between the airport and the Tri-Rail service at Airport Station. Shuttle stops are located between Terminals 2 and 3, between Terminals 3 and 4 and at the west end of Terminal 1. Visit the Tri-Rail website for schedules and fare information.
Many hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area offer airport shuttle service for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick-up and drop-off at designated areas curbside on the lower level of all terminals. Inquire with your hotel about shuttle service availability and scheduling.
Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port • Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites • Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port • Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport • Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port • Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port • Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale-Airport/South Cruise Port • Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise • Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port • Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport.
The airport operates a courtesy shuttle service between the terminals, airport economy parking and the Rental Car Center. Shuttles run between the terminals daily from 6:00AM - 9:00PM. Shuttles from the terminals to Airport Economy Parking and the Rental Car Center run 24 hours a day.
Shared Ride Service
Go Airport Shuttle operates a shared-ride shuttle service from the airport to your destination of choice. The shuttle stop is located at the Transportation Podium, lower level curbside, outside of baggage claim. Visit the Go Airport Shuttle website for fare and reservation information.
Several companies provide taxi service to and from the airport.
Last Updated: 22 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.