Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Fort Lauderdale Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Aside from the sleeping condition, this airport has Free WiFi. It actually is better than some roadside motels!! – mhsaa flyer
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
What to Expect
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport consists of a four terminal-eight concourse layout, with Terminal 1 (Concourses A, B and C), Terminal 2 (Concourse D), Terminal 3 (Concourses E and F), and Terminal 4 (Two Concourse Gs). Shuttle buses provide transit between the terminals. Eateries, shops, duty free, and services can be found throughout the airport both airside and landside, though most close at night and the quality of the various dining options has been called out by reviewers. The airport offers free WiFi, which helps pass the time. For additional comfort, passengers can purchase access to one of the airport lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
The airport authority acknowledges that passengers can remain in the airport overnight, but warns passengers to consider that they can only stay in pre-security waiting areas, that seating consists of chairs with arm-rests, that heavy duty cleaning is often conducted at night, that food/beverage service is limited, and that the terminals are cold. Steamy on the outside and frozen tundra on the inside, the A/C at FLL is said to be on full blast. Bring a blanket or a sweater! That said, our reviewers have reported that there are a couple of noteworthy sleeping spots in the airport. Perhaps the most often cited is the rental car centre, which is described as dimly lit, fairly quiet and with padded armrest-free three-seater benches. There are also reportedly some cushioned couches in the baggage claim area; however, repetitive public service announcement necessitate the need for earplugs. While there are no on-site airport hotels, there are several hotels within a short shuttle ride away. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
This is the official statement from the Fort Lauderdale Airport regarding sleeping in the airport: “You can only stay in a pre-security waiting area (not on the concourse) for the night. Our seating is attached chairs with arm rests. Heavy-duty cleaning is often conducted at night. Food and beverage service is limited. It can get cold in the terminals, so bring warm cloths.”
Good to Know
All terminals offer public baggage storage; however, hours of operation are limited.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Fort Lauderdale Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Crowne Plaza Ft Lauderdale Airport/Cruise – (8 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. Shuttle to cruise port for nominal fee. » Check Rates
- Super 8 Dania/Fort Lauderdale Airport – (13 minutes from the airport) Reviews are mixed, but this budget hotel is the closest one offering free shuttle service. The shuttle goes to/from the airport and cruise port from 6:00AM to 11:00PM daily. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Fort Lauderdale Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Fort Lauderdale Airport.
If you do not have a mobile device there are internet Kiosks are available in Terminals 1, 2 and 3
- Business Service Center – Offering a wide range of business and travel services, including currency exchange, fax, copying and more. Location: T2, landside, Ticketing Level. Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM.
- Courtesy Phones – Courtesy phones connect you directly to local car companies and hotels and are free of charge to use. Locations: in the baggage claim areas.
- Telephones – Public telephones can be found in the terminal lobbies, concourses and baggage claim areas.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Six breast feeding stations are available. Each station includes a fold down table, two benches and power outlets. The suites are locked, so to obtain access download the Mamava App or call 954-359-1201. Locations: Terminal 1, Concourse A, Airside • Terminal 1, Concourse C, Landside • Terminal 2, Airside, across from CNN Newsstand • Terminal 3, Concourse E, Airside • Terminal 3, Concourse F, Airside • Terminal 4, Concourse G, Airside.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. Vending machines are available landside. Harvest & Grounds (T4, landside, Upper Departures Level) is open 24 hours.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts (Smarte Cartes) are available throughout the airport (Upper and Lower levels) and parking garages. Rate: $5 per cart (25-cent refund for return), credit cards accepted. Carts cannot be taken on the airport’s courtesy buses, but if you are using a Smarte Carte and need to board the bus, ask the bus driver for a Smarte Carte token to continue luggage cart use from your drop-off point at the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – You can enjoy your layover luggage-free! Leave your bags with Public Baggage Storage, available in all four terminals. Hours of operation: 9:00AM – 5:30PM, Fri – Mon only in Terminals 1, 3 and 4 and daily in Terminal 2.
- Luggage Wrapping – Yes, available for $15.00 per bag which includes loss and damage insurance. 4 locations: Terminal 1 (Hours: 6:00AM – 3:00PM) • Terminal 3 (Hours: 5:00AM – 9:00PM Daily) • Terminal 4 (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM Daily).
- Mobile Charging – Self-service phone chargers are available landside near the ATM at Terminal 1 Baggage Claim (Lower Level). Fee: unknown.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available.An ATM located in T2 (airside, Concourse D) dispenses foreign currency (USD, Euro and CAD) and local/international prepaid calling cards. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: T1, landside, Baggage Claim Lower Level • T1, airside, Concourses B and C • T3, airside, Concourse F • T4, landside, Upper Departures Level • T4, airside, Concourse H • Car Rental Center, 2nd floor, east of Concourse B crossover.
- Currency Exchange – Two locations: T2, landside, Ticketing Level, at the Business Service Centre (Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM) • T4, landside, Lower Level, in the Baggage Claim (Hours: 8:30AM – 9:00PM).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside for passengers on international flights. Locations: Terminal 2 (Concourse D) • Terminal 3 (Concourses E and F) • Terminal 4 (Concourse H). There is also a variety of shops to pass the time in each Terminal, with some shops open as early as 4:00AM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon – unknown
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – unknown
- Smoking – Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the terminal.
Things to do & see
- Live Music – FLL Terminal Tunes offers live music shows in the airport. Dates, times and terminal location varies per show.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
As of March 2018, Fort Lauderdale airport is served by the following airlines: Alaska Airlines • Air Canada • American Airlines • Air Transat • Allegiant • Delta • Azul • Avianca • Bahamasair • Emirates • British Airways • Silver • JetBlue • Caribbean • Southwest Airlines • Norwegian • Copa • United Airlines • IBC • Virgin America • SkyBahamas • Westjet • Spirit Airlines • Sunwing • TAME.
Broward County Transit (BCT) provides easy access to the Amtrak Station via Route 1. To pick up the bus, head to the Rental Car Center, Stop 7. Travel time varies since this is a wave-off bus and may make frequent stops. A direct trip will take about 10 minutes.
The Tri-Rail commuter train is also a good option. You will need to pick up a free shuttle from any terminal, and take a short ride to the Tri-rail Hollywood International Airport Station at Dania Beach. From there, use FL-2 to the Amtrak/Tri-Rail Park. Travel time using Tri-Rail should be about 10 minutes.
Taxis are also available from the Rental Car Center and will take about 10 minutes of travel time.
BCT (Broward County Transit) operates daily bus service to and from the airport via bus Route 1. The bus stop is Stop 7 at the Rental Car Center. Visit the Broward County Transit website for fares, schedules and route information.
Passengers can rent cars on-site at the airport’s Rental Car Center, a building located adjacent to Terminal 1. The following agencies operate from the Rental Car Center: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • E-Z Rent A Car • Hertz • National • Payless • Royal and Thrifty.
Tri-Rail provides service between Fort Lauderdale – Hollywood International Airport Station in Dania Beach and Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. Free shuttle buses travel between the airport and the Tri-Rail service at Airport Station. Shuttle stops are located between Terminals 2 and 3, between Terminals 3 and 4 and at the west end of Terminal 1. Visit the Tri-Rail website for schedules and fare information.
Many hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area offer airport shuttle service for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick-up and drop-off at designated areas curbside on the lower level of all terminals. Inquire with your hotel about shuttle service availability and scheduling.
Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port • Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites • Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port • Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport • Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port • Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port • Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale-Airport/South Cruise Port • Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise • Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port • Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port • Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport.
The airport operates a courtesy shuttle service between the terminals, airport economy parking and the Rental Car Center. Shuttles run between the terminals daily from 6:00AM – 9:00PM. Shuttles from the terminals to Airport Economy Parking and the Rental Car Center run 24 hours a day.
Several companies provide taxi service to and from the airport.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.