Kansas City Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kansas City Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Kansas City International airport isn't a place I'd purposely plan to sleep at, but its great for getting in and out of. - Kevin
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kansas City International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small-town airport consisting of three terminals (Terminals A, B and C), connected by the airport’s free Red Bus shuttle service
- Due to the airport terminals’ small size, curb-to-gate distance is fairly short. Airside feels downright claustrophobic at times.
- Very limited shopping and dining options, all located landside. One reviewer noted that the food court is difficult to access. Eat before you come to the airport, or have a few unopened snacks handy!
- Security checkpoints are not centralized, meaning you must clear security each time you switch terminals. This can be an annoyance if you wish to access the restaurants or facilities at another terminal during your layover. Security checkpoint lines tend to be long and a little chaotic.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Reviewers advise against overnighting at the airport due to its small size, noise, cold floors, lack of space and privacy, lack of comfortable seating and lack of amenities. In addition, chairs in the landside areas of the terminals are located next to the automatic entrance doors, making for a noisy and cold sleep experience.
- If you must sleep at the airport, here are a few suggestions: Try C89, the last gate in Terminal C. Terminal B has cushioned chairs and ottomans that can be pushed together, and Starbucks in Terminal B has a padded chair that may be comfortable enough to snooze in. One reviewer slept under a desk located along the 2nd floor walkway leading to the TSA security office.
- There is also a little nook with a window that faces the runway and the jet bridge at Gate 85. To reach this nook, walk past Gates 85 - 89, towards the American Airlines ticket counter, then take the open staircase on the right up to the 2nd floor. You will find the nook at the end of a hallway. The area is quiet and the lights can be turned off.
- There are no hotels at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Kansas City Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at the airport.
Free WiFi is available at Kansas City Airport. Connect to the “KCI_FREE_WiFi” network.
If sleeping in Kansas City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Kansas City Marriott Airport - (4 minutes from the airport) Free scheduled airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, call 1-816-464-2200 or use courtesy phone in baggage claim area after claiming your bags.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport- (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available on request.
- Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport - (5 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service also goes to the surrounding area (within 5 mile radius).
- Holiday Inn Kansas City Airport - (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kansas City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Business Center - Locations: Terminal A (Gate 9) • Terminal B (Gate 56) • Terminal C (Gate 76).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Farmers Market (landside, Terminal B, near Gate 43) • Great American Bagel & Bakery (airside, Terminal C, near Gates 68 & 70).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
KCI is served by Metro Bus Route 129 Boardwalk/KCI daily bus service. One-way fare is $1.50, payable by cash, change card or bus pass. Fare boxes on the bus accept exact change only. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the KCATA website.
The following car rental agencies serve the airport: ACE, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Fox, Hertz, National, Payless and Thrifty. Their service locations are linked to the airport by a free shuttle service. Gray Rental Car Shuttles stop to pick up and drop off passengers at marked shelters on the terminal medians.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Kansas City Airport-KCI East • Candlewood Suites Kansas City Airport • Comfort Inn-Kansas City Airport • Days Inn Kansas City International Airport • Fairfield Inn Kansas City Airport • Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport • Hampton Inn Kansas City Airport • Hilton Kansas City Airport • Holiday Inn Kansas City Airport • Kansas City Airport Marriott • Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kansas City Airport • Quality Suites Airport Kansas City • Residence Inn Kansas City Airport • Super 8 Kansas City Airport.
KCI operates a free shuttle service on the airport complex. Red buses depart every 15 minutes, traveling between the terminals and the circle parking lots. Blue buses depart every 10 minutes, traveling between the terminals and the economy parking lots. Grey buses run between the terminals and the car rental lots. All buses pick up and drop off at designated shelters outside of each terminal.
Several companies offer shared-ride door-to-door service to and from the airport. Contact your service provider of choice before arrival at the airport, as some companies require a reservation.
Taxi service can be requested by direct-dial courtesy phones, located throughout the inside and outside of the baggage claim area and terminal exits. Taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Starting fare is $2.50 plus $2.10 per mile.
Last Updated: 12 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.