Norfolk Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Norfolk Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
There was a group of benches, and I slept behind one of them on the floor.
photo credit: Missy Schmidt / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Norfolk International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, user-friendly airport with clean facilities
- Minimal shopping and dining options
- WiFi is available. See WiFi below for details.
Where to Sleep
- A few reviewers mention the upstairs area over baggage claim for its large, carpeted area and low foot traffic. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy because those overhead announcements are loud and frequent!
- There are no hotels directly at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Norfolk Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at this airport.
- USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities: TV Lounge, internet, snacks, games. Location: Arrivals Terminal, 2nd floor, baggage claim area. Hours: Open 9:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily).
If sleeping in Norfolk Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Residence Inn Norfolk Airport - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available on request. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area of the airport.
- Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport - (7 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and surrounding area (within 5 mile radius).
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Norfolk Airport - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 3:30AM to Midnight.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Norfolk Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Norfolk airport for a fee. Connect to the "flynorfolk" network. As of May 2016, the rates were US$ 2.95 (20 minutes) • US$ 3.95 (1 hour) • US$ 6.95 (current day) • US$ 9.95 (monthly).
- ATMs / Cash Machines - BB&T ATMs are located throughout the Main Terminal, Arrivals Terminal and the concourses. A full-service banking branch is also available from 10:00AM - 2:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby change facilities are located throughout the airport.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - An Interactive play area and toy store for children. Location: Departures Terminal
- Currency Exchange - Travelex offers service in the Main Lobby. Hours: 8:00AM - 4:30PM (Mon-Sat).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules with most open as early as 4:30AM. Starbucks is open 24 hours a day in the Main Terminal.
- Information Desk - Staffed by uniformed naval personnel, the Military Information Booth offers assistance and information to both military and civilians. Location: Arrivals Terminal, landside, 1st Level, Baggage Claim. You can also seek assistance from one of the Volunteer Ambassador roaming around the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Charging stations are located throughout the Main Lobby and the concourses.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in the Baggage Claim area: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport • Econo Lodge Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Norfolk International Airport • Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport • Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk • Quality Suites at Lake Wright • Residence Inn Norfolk Airport • Sleep Inn Lake Wright • SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach • Wingate by Wyndham Virginia Beach / Norfolk Airport.
James River Transportation offers shuttle service between the airport and coastal Virginia, including southside coastal Virginia and the Virginia peninsula. Shuttle service also available to the outer banks of North Carolina. James River Transportation has a service counter near Baggage Carrousel 3 in the baggage claim area, and an operations kiosk outside of Door 2 of the Arrivals Terminal.
Taxis are available outside of the baggage claim area on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 17 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.