Oakland Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Oakland Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
there is a couch that is so comfortable that I almost missed my flight home...
- a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Oakland International Airport.
What to Expect
- A mid-sized international airport consisting of two terminals (Terminals 1 and 2), connected airside, so there’s no need to reclear security to use amenities at another terminal
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- Power outlets are plentiful throughout
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- If you intend to spend the night, be prepared to show your onward flight ticket or boarding pass, or you will be escorted from the airport, to put it kindly.
- Overnight sleepers are directed to the “Waiting Area” over on the landside portion of the terminal. Couches, padded armrest-free chairs and hard plastic chairs are available in this area.
- Several reviewers recommend having a sleeping bag or a sleeping mat and blanket for a comfortable night at the airport.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Oakland Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Escape Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, between Gates 8 and 8A. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (US$ 44)
If sleeping in Oakland Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Oakland Airport- (2 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and BART station from 7:00AM to Midnight, and on request after hours.
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and Coliseum BART station.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport - (3 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport, Coliseum BART station, and local businesses (within 3 mile radius).
- Hampton Inn & Suites Alameda - (7 min from the airport) Free shuttle service available daily from 4:00AM to 1:00AM. Shuttle goes to the airport, BART station, ferry to San Francisco and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius).
- Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites - (7 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service does pick-ups and drop-offs every 30 minutes. Hotel also provides free shuttle service to Oakland Coliseum BART Station.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Oakland Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Oakland airport.
- Airport Public Art - Location: Terminal 2, baggage claim • Terminal, 3 displays are located airside.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Golf - The Metropolitan Golf Links is located beside the airport. Free club rentals are available.
- Oakland Aviation Museum - Location: North Field
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA security checkpoint is open 3:45AM - 2:00AM (unconfirmed).
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Car rental services are handled in the Rental Car Center, a separate facility that is connected to the airport terminal via free shuttle service. Shuttles run between the terminals and the Rental Car Center every 10 minutes, and on demand from 1:30AM - 4:30AM. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Firefly, Fox, Hertz, National and Thrifty. Advantage and Payless provide free shuttle service from the airport to their nearby off-site locations.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites • Comfort Inn & Suites Oakland Airport • Courtyard Oakland Airport • Days Hotel Oakland Airport • Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Oakland Airport • Executive inn & Suites • Hilton Oakland Airport • Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport • Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport • La Quinta Inn Oakland Airport Coliseum • Quality Inn Oakland • Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport.
Evans Airport Service: Scheduled service to Napa and Vallejo (Courtyard Oakland Airport)
Airport Express: Scheduled service to North Bay (Marin and Sonoma Counties)
The Scarlett Shuttle: Scheduled service between Oakland Airport and Sonoma County
Several companies provide door-to-door shared-ride shuttle service between Oakland Airport and airports in San Francisco, San Jose and Sacramento, as well as service to/from Bay area counties. Contact your service provider of choice for routes, rates and reservations.
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area of the airport terminal on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
The BART to OAK train service provides an easy connection between the airport and Coliseum Station. Journey Time: 8 minutes. Hours of Operation: 5:00AM - 12:00AM. Frequency: trains depart every 5 minutes in the hours 8:00AM - 8:00PM. Service is reduced to 10-20 minutes at other times. Fare: Check out the Fare Calculator. If you are boarding at the airport, you do not have to buy your ticket until you disembark at Coliseum Station. The fare machines are located at Platform 3.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.