San Jose Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our San Jose Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
If you have a laptop or a WiFi device of any kind.... bring it. I am actually writing this AT the airport. If it was not for my laptop I would have gone insane from the boredom. - Sean
photo credit: Kgrr / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Mineta San Jose International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with two terminals (Terminal A/International and Terminal B) and a nice variety of shopping and dining options. The two terminals are connected airside.
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and purchase your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Try the comfy couches in the Meet and Greet area, just upstairs from Check-In in Terminal A. The area is dimly lit at night, but have a sleep mask handy to get a good night’s rest!
- The hallway that links security to baggage claim has window sills large enough to sleep on. Have a travel mattress and blanket handy for added comfort!
- Near the duty-free store (Terminal A, Gates 14/15), there is an elevated, carpeted area under an overhang that one reviewer described as secluded and perfect for up to 20 people.
- Check out the American Airlines area of Terminal A/International, which one reviewer says is an area often unused.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our San Jose Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at San Jose airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- The Club at SJC - This lounge is available to all travellers no matter what class of service or airline. Showers and a designated rest zone are available. Location: Terminal A, Airside, 3rd Level, across from Gate A15. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$40.00) • Save $5 when you Book Online (US$ 35.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at San Jose Airport.
If sleeping in San Jose Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Courtyard San Jose Airport - (4 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available on request.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Jose - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area.
- Comfort Suites - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available
To see more options there is a list of hotels near San Jose Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines -
ATMs can be found in the following areas:
- Terminal A: Gates 6, 10, 13, 15; and Baggage Claim
- Terminal B: Gates 19 and 26; and Baggage Claim
- Baby Change Facilities - Nursing rooms offer privacy and power outlets airside in both terminals. Locations:
- Terminal A: near Gate 8.
- Terminal B: near Gates 17, 21, 24 and 26.
- All restrooms throughout the airport also offer baby changing tables.
- Baggage Carts - SmarteCartes are available for $4.00.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Location: Terminal A, Baggage Claim, Landside. Hours: 9:00AM - 10:45AM (Mon - Fri) and afternoons 3:00PM - 5:00PM (Mon, Fri), 2:00PM - 5:00PM (Tues, Thurs), 12:00 - 5:00PM (Wed) • International Building, across from Gate 15, Airside. Hours: according to international flight schedules.
- Duty Free & Shopping - The Duty Free Store is located in Terminals A, between Gates 14 and 15.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are also available in the airport.
- Hydration Station - Location: Terminal A, airside, near Gate 9.
- Information Desk - Location: near the baggage claim. Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon-Sat) • 9:00AM - 9:00PM (Sun).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available.
- Massage Chairs - Located airside in Terminal A (near Gates 10-13) and throughout Terminal B.
- Meditation Room - Location: Airside, Terminal B, across from Gate 18
- Piano - Time to channel your inner Elton John! SJC has its own pianos, so step right up and share your talent with your fellow travellers and greeters! Some people have even uploaded their performances to Facebook and YouTube. Locations: Play it again (Sam!) on the upright piano in the Terminal A “Blue Dot” meet and greet area, 2nd level opposite the security checkpoint, or try your hand at a baby grand in Terminal B Baggage Claim. Hours: Open 24 hours
- Showers - Available in the Club at SJC Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Valley Transit Authority (VTA) Route 10 “Airport Flyer” links the airport terminals, the Metro Light Rail and the Santa Clara Caltrain station in a circuit. Buses depart every 15 - 30 minutes, and run from 5:00AM - 11:30PM. For route and fare information, visit the VTA website.
Car rental services are handled in the Rental Car Center, a designated facility located on airport property, across from Terminal B. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Firefly, FOX, Hertz, National, Payless, Sixt, Thrifty and Zipcar. Flightcar serves the airport from a nearby off-site location.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Shuttles stop at the Offsite Courtesy Shuttle Stops located in the ground transportation areas of Terminals A and B. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central • Comfort Suites Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose International Airport • Courtyard San Jose Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose • Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, San Jose Airport • Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Airport • Holiday Inn San Jose - Silicon Valley • Hyatt House Santa Clara • La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport • Quality Inn Silicon Valley • Sheraton San Jose Hotel • Staybridge Suites San Jose • Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose • Wyndham Garden San Jose Airport
A free shuttle service operates in a circuit between Terminals A and B, the Rental Car Center and Daily Lot 4. Shuttles run every 7 - 10 minutes, from 2:30AM - 1:00AM. A separate free shuttle runs every 7 - 10 minutes, 24 hours a day between Economy Lot 1 and Terminals A and B. A white courtesy shuttle runs between Terminal B, Hourly Lot 5 and Daily Lot 6 from 4:30AM - 12:30AM.
Several companies offer scheduled or on-demand door-to-door shared-ride shuttle service to and from the airport. Reservations are highly recommended, and may be required for some shuttle services. Shared-ride shuttle stops are located on the lower level of the Terminal A Parking Garage, and at the Ground Transportation Center across the street from the Terminal B baggage claim area. Contact your service provider of choice for information and reservations.
Taxis are available in the ground transportation areas of Terminals A and B. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, minimum fare from the airport is $15, and estimated one-way fares are: $15 - $18 to downtown San Jose; $35 - $60 to Fremont; $55 - $60 to Menlo Park; $40 - $56 to Palo Airport and $140 - $150 to downtown San Francisco.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.