Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our San Jose Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
If you have a laptop or a WiFi device of any kind…. bring it. I am actually writing this AT the airport. If it was not for my laptop I would have gone insane from the boredom. – Sean
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at San Jose Mineta International Airport.
What to Expect
San Jose Mineta International Airport consists of two modern terminals (A and B) connected on the airside, and offering numerous options throughout for dining and shopping. WiFi is available and there are plenty of outlets for charging mobile devices. Additional comfort and services—including showers—can be found through fee-based access to the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
After security checkpoints close for the night, all passengers are restricted to the landside areas, and must re-clear security the next day when the checkpoints open. Travellers feel safe sleeping in this airport and, while the landside area is relatively small, comfortable sleeping spots can be found. In particular, try the comfortable couches in the Meet and Greet area upstairs from the Terminal A check-in area. Some travellers reported comfortable sleeping on the window sills in the hallway between security and baggage claim, though advised having a travel mat and blanket for additional comfort. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels within a quick shuttle ride of the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes The Club At SJC – This lounge is available to all travellers no matter what class of service or airline. Showers and a designated rest zone are available. Location: Terminal A, Airside, 3rd Level, across from Gate A15. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in San Jose Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Courtyard San Jose Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available on request. » Check Rates
- Comfort Suites – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) A free shuttle bus is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near San Jose Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at San Jose Airport.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Nursing rooms offer privacy airside in both terminals. Rooms also come equipped with power outlets. Locations:
» Terminal A: near Gate 8
» Terminal B: near Gates 17, 21, 24 and 26
» All restrooms throughout the airport also offer baby changing tables.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. At the iPal Playground, children (and adults!) can interact with the AvatarMind robot. The space also features a maze and an interactive play space. Location: Terminal B, near Gate 24.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – If you are thirsty, a water fountain and bottle refill stations are available. Location: Terminals A and B at Gates 9, 10, 15, 17 and 24.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are also available in the airport.
- Information Desk – Location: near the baggage claim. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon-Sat) • 9:00AM – 9:00PM (Sun). The airport has also introduced robots to provide information and local area assistance. Airside at 11, 21 and 25 you will find Norma, Amelia and Piper ready to help.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts (Smarte Carte) are available in the baggage claim area and departures. Rates: $5.00 per cart.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Head to the Power Suites where you will find comfortable seating and workstations with power outlets to charge up. Location: Terminal A, at Gates 9 and 18.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations:
» Terminal A: Airside – at Gates 10, 13, 15 • Landside – Baggage Claim and 1st Floor
» Terminal B: Airside – at Gates 19 and 26 • Landside – 1st Floor
- Currency Exchange – Location: Terminal A, Baggage Claim, Landside. Hours: 9:00AM – 10:45AM (Mon – Fri) and afternoons 3:00PM – 5:00PM (Mon, Fri), 2:00PM – 5:00PM (Tues, Thurs), 12:00 – 5:00PM (Wed) • International Building, across from Gate 15, Airside. Hours: according to international flight schedules.
Prayer & Meditiation
- Meditation Room – Location: Airside, Terminal B, across from Gate 18.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Located airside in Terminal A (near Gates 10-13) and throughout Terminal B.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – The Duty Free Store is located in Terminals A, between Gates 14 and 15. In addition, there is a small variety of shops available including 2 locations of Hudson News available for any last minute snack and drinks.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Available.
Things to do & see
- Piano – Time to channel your inner Elton John! SJC has its own pianos, so step right up and share your talent with your fellow travellers and greeters! Some people have even uploaded their performances to Facebook and YouTube. Locations: Play it again (Sam!) on the upright piano in the Terminal A “Blue Dot” meet and greet area, 2nd level opposite the security checkpoint, or try your hand at a baby grand in Terminal B Baggage Claim. Hours: Open 24 hours
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
As of March 2018, San Jose airport is served by the following airlines: Aeromexico • Air Canada • Air China • Alaska Airlines • American Airlines • ANA • British Airways • Delta • Frontier Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Hawaiian Airlines • JetBlue • Lufthansa • Southwest Airlines • United Airlines • Volaris.
The airport is well connected to the bus system. Here are few options that may be of interest:
- Valley Transit Authority (VTA) Route 10 “Airport Flyer” links the airport terminals, the Metro Light Rail and the Santa Clara Caltrain station in a circuit. Buses depart every 15 – 30 minutes, and run from 5:00AM – 11:30PM.
- Ace Rail VTA Airport Flyer makes frequent stops between the Airport and the Santa Clara Caltrain Station from where you can catch the ACE Train.
For more bus options, visit the San Jose Airport website.
Car rental services are handled in the Rental Car Center, a designated facility located on airport property, across from Terminal B. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, FOX, Hertz, National, Payless, Sixt, Thrifty and Zipcar.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Shuttles stop at the Offsite Courtesy Shuttle Stops located in the ground transportation areas of Terminals A and B. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central • Comfort Suites Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Jose International Airport • Courtyard San Jose Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose • Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, San Jose Airport • Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Airport • Holiday Inn San Jose – Silicon Valley • Hyatt House Santa Clara • La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport • Quality Inn Silicon Valley • Sheraton San Jose Hotel • Staybridge Suites San Jose • Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose • Wyndham Garden San Jose Airport
A free shuttle service operates in a circuit between Terminals A and B, the Rental Car Center and Daily Lot 4. Shuttles run every 7 – 10 minutes, from 2:30AM – 1:00AM. A separate free shuttle runs every 7 – 10 minutes, 24 hours a day between Economy Lot 1 and Terminals A and B. A white courtesy shuttle runs between Terminal B, Hourly Lot 5 and Daily Lot 6 from 4:30AM – 12:30AM.
Taxis are available in the ground transportation areas of Terminals A and B. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this January 2018 update, all trips from SJC Airport are a minimum of $15, which includes the first 3-miles of travel and a $1.50 airport fee. Beyond 3-miles, the fares are charged by meter at $3.00 per mile.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.