San Juan Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our San Juan Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
At one point I sensed someone near me and woke up to an AA employee putting a blanket over me! How cool is that??? - Nicole
By Meg Mat
July 2013 - I am a terrible traveler. I hate flying, miss flights because I don't plan ahead, and rarely have enough time between connecting flights. With that disclaimer, here is my airport story: I was stuck in the San Juan airport for 36 hours after missing my connecting flight to Miami. I didn't plan my flights well, but I also didn't realize that my flight from Vieques to San Juan would drop me outside the terminal, meaning I had to go security. American Airlines habitually overbooks their flights from San Juan to Miami, so I had to wait on standby for FIVE flights. A woman in the waiting area told me she flies to Miami every other weekend, so she's started planning to give up her seat to make money in vouchers. Crazy airlines! Well missing my flight gave me the opportunity to practice Spanish, listening to airport announcements en espanol the entire night. I actually slept pretty. I created a well hidden, refugee-style camp for myself. Windows formed one wall of my hovel, a large cardboard box the other, and the front was two display cases for an airport vendor. No one saw me and no one bothered me the entire night. They even dim the lights in the concourse after 2 am! It was annoying to sit on standby with no success flight after flight, but i kind of enjoyed la vida aeropuerta. It taught me patience, tested my innovation, and gave me a great story for the fam.
Have you been to San Juan Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at San Juan airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Domestic Terminal C, Airside, opposite Gate 12. Hours: 6am - 845pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- The Lounge - Location: Terminal C, Airside, 3rd Floor. Hours: varies. Lounge Access: Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
WiFi is available at San Juan Airport for a fee.
If sleeping in San Juan Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- San Juan Airport Hotel - formerly Best Western. Direct access to the airport terminal.
- Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Hotel La Playa - (7 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Borinquen Beach Inn - (7 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near San Juan Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There is an ATM located in every terminal.
- Car Rentals - Avis, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and more.
- Chapel - Location: Terminal D, Gate D3. Hours: unknown.
- Currency Exchange - You can exchange money at the Banco Popular. Additionaly, there is an ATM that will allow you to withdraw Euros in Terminal D.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not know which (if any) of the airport's food and beverage concessions were open 24 hours.
- Information Desk - Staffed information booths are available, you may also spot ambassadors in the blue polo shirts throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage - There is Luggage Storage Room in Terminal D, 2nd Level, rates are not known.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is only allowed in designated areas.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: Terminal D, First Level, office # 8, 4 doors from the police station. Hours: 7:00AM - 4:00PM (Mon - Fri).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Last Updated: 23 October 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.