Washington Reagan National Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Washington Reagan Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Will kick you out of the secure area at night. Security guard told us to sleep in the Chapel that is next to the police office in the entrance terminal. It has padded benches, room for about 8 people to sleep in there. - Tricia on our Facebook page
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Washington Reagan National Airport.
What to Expect
- The landside Dunkin Donuts is open 24/7 in the main terminal area next to the TSA screening checkpoint for gates 10-22.
- Most other restaurants and shops are open from 7 am to 10 pm.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information below.
Where to Sleep
- Airside closes by 11 pm so you’ll have to sleep landside.
- Bring earplugs as an automated announcement will loudly state the time every half hour.
- Several solo female travelers mentioned seeing homeless men in the terminal overnight; however, security was a constant presence, and most didn’t feel overly concerned.
- Bench seating has armrests.
- Many people report cold temperatures so wear a sweater or bring a blanket.
- Sleeping on the floor on/near heating vents next to the windows is also a popular option.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide a free airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with a day pass or airline membership. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations.
- The police station is in Terminal A near the Dunkin Donuts.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Washington Reagan Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Washington Reagan Airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal B, Airside, Mezzanine level. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Terminal B, Airside, above Gate 15. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Terminal B, Airside, opposite G11. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • United Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal C, Airside, inside the security check point, Mezzanine Level. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities include: WiFi, TV lounge, toiletries, snacks, computers and a library. Location: Terminal A, Concourse Level, across from Lost & Found. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
If sleeping in Washington Reagan Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Reagan National Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to Reagan National Airport and Crystal City metro station daily from 4:30AM to 12:30AM. For airport pick-up, call the hotel in advance to schedule.
- Hilton Garden Inn Reagan National Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to Reagan National Airport, the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City, and the Crystal City metro station.
- Holiday Inn National Airport/Crystal City - (2 min from the airport) Free shuttle service runs every 30 minutes to Reagan National Airport, metro stop (Orange line) and local businesses.
- Residence Inn Arlington Capital View - (6 min from the airport) Free scheduled shuttle service to Reagan National Airport and Crystal City metro station. For airport pick-up, call 1-703-415-1300 or use the courtesy phone in baggage claim area.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Reagan Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Washington Reagan National Airport. Connect to the “Reagan National WiFi” network.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes (landside and airside).
- Baby Care Facilities - Nursing rooms offer privacy, comfortable rocking chairs, power outlets and changing tables. Three locations: Terminal A, landside, just before the checkpoint ▪ Terminal B/C, landside, located next to Touch of Color in National Hall.
- Baggage Carts - SmarteCartes are available for a fee. Rate: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - There is an interfaith chapel at the south end of Concourse B, across from the Delta Airlines gates (behind Dunkin’ Donuts). Scheduled clergy-led Protestant worship and Catholic mass are available, as well as non-clergy led Jewish and Islamic prayer times.
- Currency Exchange - There is a International Currency Exchange office located in the National Hall, Terminal C, landside, near the Information Booth.
- DCA Art Program - Exhibitions can be found throughout the airport
- Food & Drinks -Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Dunkin’ Donuts (in National Hall).
- Information Desk - there are 3 locations on the Main Concourse. Hours: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Charge your laptops and other devices for free at charging stations located throughout the airport. In Terminal A, you can charge your device while grabbing a bite to eat at District Bar, Page or Reservoir.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Not permitted inside the terminal - outside only.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as landing at the wrong airport, transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Locations: Terminal B, Concourse Level • Terminal C, Concourse Level • Terminal B, Baggage Claim • Terminal A, Lobby. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 7:00AM - 7:00PM (Sat) 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Sun).
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA security checkpoints are open 4:30AM - 9:00PM (or until the last scheduled flight).
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
To get from the airport to the Amtrak Station in Alexandria, you will want to use the MetroRail. There are elevated MetroRail stations located on the concourse levels of Terminals B and C. Take the yellow line towards Gallery Place/Chinatown. Exit the yellow line at Gallery Place/Chinatown. From there board the Red line towards Fort Totten. Exit the red line at Union Station. The ride should take between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on the time of day.
Alternatively, you can hire a taxi from any baggage claim area to curbside. A taxi should take approximately 10 minutes, depending on traffic.
Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National have onsite rental desks at the Terminal Parking Garage A. Advantage and Dollar are located off site. Free “Parking / Rental Car” shuttles stop outside of baggage claim at each terminal to bring passengers to the rental car area at Garage A. Terminal Parking Garage A is just a 10 minute walk from Terminals A & B, or a 15 minute walk from Terminal C.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Americana Hotel • Courtyard Arlington Crystal City/Reagan National Airport • Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport • Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport • Crystal Gateway Marriott • DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City • Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Reagan National Airport • Hilton Crystal City at Washington Reagan National Airport • Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City • Hyatt Regency Crystal City • Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel • Residence Inn Arlington Capital View • The Westin Crystal City.
The Metrorail, or “Metro”, is the subway system serving Washington DC metropolitan area, including parts of Virginia and Maryland. Reagan National Airport can be reached by two of the six color-coded routes: blue and yellow. Terminals B and C are connected to the airport’s elevated Metrorail station via covered pedestrian bridges. Terminal A can be reached by taking an “Airport Shuttle bus” that travels between the Metrorail station and the Terminal B and C parking garages. The Metrorail is wheelchair accessible, and the airport Metrorail station can be accessed via elevator. Metrorail cards can be purchased at vending machines in Metrorail stations. Fares to any Metrorail station are no more than $6 when using a SmarTrip Metrorail card.
Onsite Airport Shuttle
Reagan National Airport runs a courtesy shuttle service that runs on airport grounds only. Each shuttle has a sign on its front and side that displays the area of the airport that it services: “All Terminals” for Terminals A, B, C and the Metrorail station, “Economy” for the Economy Parking Lot, “Rental Car / Parking” for Terminals A, B and C parking lots and the rental car area, and “Employee” for the Employee Parking Lot.
Shared Ride Services
SuperShuttle and Supreme Airport Shuttle offer door-to-door shared ride airport service in the Washington DC metropolitan area. The shuttles are available on demand outside of each terminal on the baggage claim level. You can also book the service online or visit the shuttle desk at the airport to book your ride.
Taxis are readily available outside of each airport terminal on the baggage claim level. Notify the Taxi Dispatcher if you need a wheelchair-accessible taxi or a taxi that accepts credit cards. Taxis charge for the journey according to the taxi meter. All taxis operating out of the airport are clean, non-smoking and will provide a receipt upon payment.
Last Updated: 24 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.