Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Adelaide Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The airport closes from 11 PM to 4 AM every night. Do not attempt to sleep here. – Zack
ADL Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Adelaide International Airport.
What to Expect
Adelaide Airport (code: ADL) is a modern three-level, single terminal facility with a reasonable selection of shops and eateries. The airport closes every night from 11:00PM to 4:00AM, but those already inside the terminal before closing are allowed to remain on the landside. The airport offers free WiFi and there are plenty of outlets and charging stations for charging mobile devices. Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below.
Sleeping in Adelaide Airport
Staff and security are described as friendly and accommodating to overnight sleepers. Quiet nooks can be found, but airport seating is described as uncomfortable and divided by armrests. The airport is closed every night from 11:00PM to 4:00AM. According to one reviewer (September 2017), if you are inside the terminal before it closes you are permitted to stay. Have a backup plan just in case! Explore our guide to sleeping in Adelaide Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there are several hotels within walking distance of the airport. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Adelaide Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in Adelaide airport sounds like a nightmare, there is a hotel at the airport and other hotels within a short drive:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Atura Adelaide Airport Hotel – The hotel is connected to the airport via a walkway to both terminals. Day use rooms are available from 9:00AM – 5:00PM. » Check Rates
- Adelaide Airport Motel – Airport transfers are available 8:00AM – 3:30PM (Mon – Fri). » Check Rates
Visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Adelaide Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Qantas Club or Virgin Australia). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- REX Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures Area, near Gate 10. Location: Lounge membership programs.
- Virgin Australia Lounge – Location: Airside, level 2, opposite Gate 15. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of Virgin Australia Airlines ticket • Lounge membership programs.
- Qantas Club – Location: Airside, level 2, across from Gate 21. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- Singapore Airlines SilverKris Business Class Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside.
Related Pages: Adelaide Airport Lounges
Free WiFi is available at Adelaide Airport. Connect to the “Adelaide Airport Free Wi-Fi” network. Sign-in is required.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailbox. Letters and postcards should already have postage, as there is currently nowhere to purchase postage inside the terminal. Location: Landside, Ground Floor, outside the Terminal, next to the Qantas valet.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Two parents rooms are available which offer feeding areas, toddler toilet pans, basins, microwave and area for food preparation. The rooms have been awarded 5 Star for the amenities they provide families. Locations: Level 0 and Level 2.
- Children’s Play Area – Temporarily Closed – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the gated children’s play area. Location: Airside, next to Hudson’s Coffee.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Airport Ambassadors – If you need help navigating the terminal or have general questions, look for the Airport Ambassadors in the Baggage Claim Hall and Main Check-in Area. They will be wearing bright burgundy jackets.
- Information Desk – There is a Visitor Information Booth located on the Ground Floor. The staff can assist you with tourist information, transport services, flight information and airport and terminal information. If the booth is unattended, look for one of the Airport Ambassadors, who will be wearing bright burgundy jackets.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage lockers are available at the following per 24-hour rates: $12 for a small locker • $14 for a medium locker • $16 for a large locker • $20 for a bike box. Location: Multi-level car park, ground floor, near the car rental offices.
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available in the airport’s first aid facility. For access, seek the assistance of an airport staff member.
- Pharmacy – Temporarily Closed – Airport Pharmacy is located on Level 2. Hours 5:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon-Fri), 7:00AM – 7:00PM (Sat) and 7:00AM – 9:00PM (Sun).
- Mobile Charging – Power outlets and charging stations are available.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Machines dispense AUD, but a few foreign currency machines are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: on the Ground Floor and Level 2.
- Currency Exchange – Temporarily Closed – Travelex offers currency exchange at three locations: International Departures (Airside, Level 2, 2 locations) • International Arrivals (Landside, Level 0).
- Showers – Temporarily Closed
- Prayer Room – There are two prayer rooms. Location: Domestic Terminal, Level 2, between Rip Curl and News Links • International Terminal, Airside. Hours: during airport operational hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Temporarily Closed – Duty Free shopping is available airside to passengers departing or arriving on international flights (Hours: open in accordance with incoming and departing flights). In addition, a wide variety of retail shops and newsstands are available throughout the airport. The Link News may come in handy for last minute drink and snack needs. Location: Level 2, Shop 5. Hours: 4:45AM – 10:30PM.
- Smoking Area – There is a dedicated smoking area on Level 2, outside the terminal. You will also find a smoking area on the ground level at the southern end of the terminal near WHSmith.
Things to do
- Musical Performances – Choirs and musical groups perform in the airport throughout the year.
Terminal 1 is open from 4:00AM – 11:00PM. On their web site they state “Please note the terminal is not open overnight or outside these hours.”
Adelaide airport is served by the following airlines: Air New Zealand • Alliance • Cathay Pacific • China Southern Airlines • Cobham • Jetstar • Malaysia Airlines • Qantas • Qantas Link • Qatar Airways • Regional Express • Sharp Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Virgin Australia.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Adelaide Airport is served by JetExpress (J1X), a double-decker bus that runs between the airport and the city center, stopping at popular attractions and over 20 hotels along the way. Jetbus service (lines J1, JX, J3, J7 and J8) run between the airport and Glenelg, West Beach and the city center, with stops along the way. For information on the visitor pass (providing savings on public transport and more) routes, fares and timetables, visit the Adelaide Metro website.
Car rental agencies desks are located on the ground floor of the multi-level car park. The following agencies are available onsite: Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • Thrifty.
At the time of this update we were able to find only one hotel providing airport shuttle service: Adelaide Airport Motel ($).
See also Airport Hotels above.
Uber, Ola and Didi ride sharing services have a designated pick-up location to the left of the Terminal Car Park. There is an AU$3 surcharge added to trips from the airport.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi rank, located to the left of the pedestrian plaza as you exit the terminal. Concierges are available onsite to ensure smooth pickup and assist passengers in hiring the taxi that best fits their needs (baby capsule, wheelchair access, larger vehicle, etc.).
Last updated: 2022-10-31
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.