Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Almaty Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I didn’t actually sleep in the building and they’d probably turf anyone out that was silly enough to try. -chris
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Almaty International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with two terminals (International and Domestic), which must be reached on foot if changing terminals. There are a few (expensive!) shopping and dining options, including some 24-hour food concessions.
- A big language barrier…reviewers report that most of the staff spoke little to no English.
Inefficient security and immigration checkpoints mean long, slow lines.
- One reviewer described airside as small and boring, with not enough seats and almost no shops or dining options.
- The airport is busiest at night, as most flights in and out of Almaty take place at night
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Despite a lack of seating, there are a few soft, comfortable seats in front of the luggage drop-off and to the left-side in Departures.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Do not litter or throw cigarette butts on the floor after smoking! One reviewer had to pay a “fine” on the spot to police.
- There is a business class waiting area with comfortable seats open 24 hours a day over in the landside section of Domestic departures. The lounge is for business class passengers only, but we have no information at this time as to whether you can pay to enter as an economy class passenger. One reviewer mentioned that nobody seems to be around to check tickets, so one can enter and exit the lounge as they please.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Almaty Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Aksunkar Hotel – (3 minute walk from the airport) No airport shuttle available. Rooms are available for half day rentals. » Check Rates
- Almaport Apartments – (10 minute walk from the airport) This is a privately-owned flat with no identifiable numbers on the outside of the building, so it’s best to call the owner and arrange for a pickup or instructions on how to find her place. Free airport pick up is available. » Check Rates
- Ekipage Hotel – (10 minute walk from the airport) According to reiews this hotel is an easy walk from the airport. However, if you prefer transportation, the hotel does provide free pick up and paid drop-off at the airport. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Almaty Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Almaty Airport. Connect to the “Airport_Wi-Fi” network. You will need to provide a mobile phone number in order to receive a PIN via SMS.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
This is a small airport. There is not much going for it, so bring your own comfort and entertainment. The following is a list of services and facilities available at Almaty Airport:
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: unknown.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available.
Currency Exchange – Foreign exchange services are available.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops (magazines, souvenirs, etc.).
Family Services – A mother and child room is available.
Food & Drinks – The airport offers cafes, bars and restaurants.
Information Desk – Need help finding your way? An information desk is available.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage storage is available. Location: unknown.
Luggage Wrapping – Wrapping service are available.
Medical Services – A First Aid office is located within the airport which is open 24 hours.
Prayer Room – A prayer room is available.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, Almaty airport is served by the following airlines: Lufthansa • Asiana Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Turkish Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • Emirates • Aeroflot.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Almaty Airport is served by city bus routes #79, #86, #92 and #106.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Bay Tau Rent Company, Caspian Rent-A-Car, Dixie, Europcar, Evrasia Car, Garage Taxi Rental, Navigator Auto Rental and Prokatis KZ.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Aksunkar Hotel • Kazzhol Hotel • Royal Palace Hotel • Royal Park Hotel.
Taxis are available in a line outside of the airport terminal. Since taxis are not metered, fares must be agreed upon before departing on your journey. Uniformed staff are available on hand to assist in hiring an airport taxi.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.