Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Basel Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Wonderful seat….I slept there 2 times. OMG..it’s wonderful… -GdM
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg.
What to Expect
- A four-story airport terminal, with landside areas separated into two sections (French side and Swiss side).
- Many travelers who spend the night here, do so to catch an early flight.
- Most of the airport’s seats have armrests.
- The airport’s restaurants close around 10:30PM and reopen at 4:00AM, so have a few snacks and drinks handy for late night refreshment!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers describe the airport as a secure, but uncomfortable place to spend the night. One recent reviewer reported that airport security will wake up anyone sleeping on the floor or sprawled across the chairs or cafe benches, and suggests sleeping upright in a chair with a suitcase as a footrest. More recent reviews confirm that the although the airport is an uncomfortable one for sleeping, security guards mostly let travelers sleep, even if they are sleeping on the floor.
- Have a travel blanket, travel pillow, sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy for added comfort while you sleep.
- The top floor of the Swiss sector (landside) has armrest-free sofas, but they are often occupied, so if you see an empty one, snag it! Comfortable leather chairs are nearby if you miss out on a couch.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door or purchasing a lounge pass or through a lunge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in does not appeal to you, there are no hotels at Basel Airport. Here are a few nearby hotels:
- Airport Hotel Basel – (3 minutes from the airport). Free shuttle is available between 6:00AM – 10:00PM. Call +41 61 327 30 30 after you land to arrange pick up. Alternatively Bus 50 (Euro airport shuttle) stops directly outside the hotel. » Check Rates
- Ibis Mulhouse Basel Aeroport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. After you have picked up your luggage, call 0033 +3 89 69 06 58 and head outside to wait at the arrivals, French side, near the red zebras painted on the floor. For your return transfer simply request at the hotel. The shuttle runs to the airport every hour. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Basel Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Basel Euroairport. Connect to the ‘Free_EuroAirport_WiFi”. Once you have logged in you can surf for up to 24 hours.
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations:
- French Sector: Public sector, Arrivals, Level 2 • Public Sector, Departures, Level 3.
- Swiss Sector: Public sector, Arrivals, Level 2 • Public Sector, Departures, Level 3.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
Children’s Play Area – There are a few small “Kid’s Corner” play areas located throughout the airport.
Currency Exchange – There are 3 International Currency Exchange offices: International Arrivals Hall (Hours: 7:45AM – 11:00PM) • International Departures (Hours: 5:15AM – 9:45PM) • Level 3 Departures – France and Switzerland public sector (Hours: 9:15AM – 7:45PM).
Duty Free & Shopping – Several stores are available offering a variety of goods. The airport has four Dufry duty-free shopping locations:
- Dufry Main Shop: Location: Departures Area, Airside, Level 4. Hours: first flight – last flight (Mon – Sun)
- Dufry Fashion: Location: Departures Area, Airside, Level 4. Hours: 5:30AM – last flight (Mon – Sun)
- Dufry Gates Sud: Departures, Airside, Level 3. Hours: first flight – last flight (Mon – Sun)
- Durfry Arrival Shop: Arrivals, Airside, Level 2. Hours:7:15AM -11:00PM
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include:
- Landside: 3 Länder Restaurant • Food Court Restaurant/Brasserie • La Fourchette Suisse • Food Court • La Roulotte • Paul • Sam Bar • Trib’s • Weckman • Wellness.
- Airside: Bert’s • Cloud Cafe / illy • Columbus Cafe & Co • Monop’daily.: Bert’s • Cloud Cafe / illy • Columbus Cafe & Co • Monop’daily.
Information Desk – Location: Level 2, landside. Hours: 5:30AM – 12:00AM.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available for “security reasons”.
Mobile Charging – A reader (January 2019) tells us “Mobile charging is available in the Swiss part of the airport (3rd floor, near turkish airlines desk, around circle wooden seating) via usb and electricity plug-ins as well”.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Showers are available inside the Skyview Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
Spa – If you have enough time of a manicure, check out the Nail Bar Cart. Location: International Departures, Airside, Level 4.
The airport is open 24 hours. Terminal operations run from 4:00AM – 12:00AM.
As of January 2019, Basel airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean • Air Algérie • Air Arabia Maroc • Air France • Air Transat • Austrian Airlines • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • easyJet • Eurowings • Hop! • Iberia • KLM • Lufthansa • Pegasus Airlines • Ryanair • SunExpress • TUIfly • Turkish Airlines • Vueling • WizzAir.
The Basel Airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you are looking for a local bus to get you the centre of Basel or you need a connection to a train station for onward travels, the airport provides many options. For fares, routes and schedule information, visit the Basel Airport website.
The following car rental agencies have rental desks in both the French sector (Hall 1, Level 2) and Swiss sector (Hall 4, Level 2) of the airport terminal: Avis/Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt.
Taxis are available in the ground transportation areas of both the French and Swiss sectors of the airport. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, the following estimated one-way fares were current: From the French sector, taxis can be taken to Mulhouse (€50 – 60) or Freiburg (€125 – 160), and from the Swiss sector, taxis can be taken to Basel (50 CHF) or Freiburg (340 CHF).
Last updated: 2019-02-14
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.