Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Dresden Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The seats were few and far between – metal and “erganomic” which means where you laid on them, you couldnt lay flat, which made it worse! and it hurt. – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Dresden Airport.
What to Expect
Dresden Airport has a spacious, modern terminal that handles both commercial flights to European destinations as well as frequent conferences and events. Amenities include a simple restaurant, a few cafes, a duty-free area, and some small shops, though nothing is open 24 hours. Head to the designated quiet zone on the airside to relax in massage chairs. Free WiFi available to help pass the time. For added comfort while you wait, economy class passengers can pay to enter an airport lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and access information.
Where to Sleep
Overnight sleepers aren’t too common, but you likely won’t have any problems spending the night here. Head to Floor 3 for armrest-free seating in a quiet area. Announcements blare from the loudspeakers frequently, so be sure to bring earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones. For uninterrupted sleep, hotels are nearby. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Dresden Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Pension Schmiedeschaenke – (15 minute walk from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Airport Hotel Dresden – (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel suggests a taxi for approx. 10,00€. » Check Rates
- Quality Hotel Plaza Dresden – (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Novalis Dresden – (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. Hotel suggests the bus which runs every 20 mins. The stop is 300 m from the hotel (ride time is 30 minutes) and costs 2,30€. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Dresden Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Dresden airport for 30 minutes. Connect to the “mycloud” network and register. Once your 30 minutes are up, you can connect through the paid service. Rates start at €2.95 (30 minutes) to €14.95 (500 minutes) for multi-use service or €9.95 (1 day) to €69.95 (1 month) service.
Internet terminals are available in the airport casino on the arrivals level. Rates are not known.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – For comfort and privacy while feeding and changing your baby, Mother and Child rooms are located landside and airside in both Departures and Arrivals areas. Strollers are available for use throughout the airport, free of charge, all the way up to your gate. You can request one at Check-In or the Oversize Baggage counter.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Locations: Landside and Airside, in the departures area.
- Strollers – The airport provides strollers free of charge which can also be brought through security. Ask at the check-in counter.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: ElbeZeit Café and Smoker Lounge (Landside, Departures level) • ElbeZeit Bistro (Arrivals) • ElbeZeit Food & Drinks (Airside, Departures level) • Feinbäckerei Heberer (Landside, Arrivals) • staff canteen (open to airport staff and general public).
- Information Desk – Location: Arrivals Level. Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Dresden and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there is a travel center with 15 travel agencies that can probably be of assistance. The travel center is open every day from 10:00AM – 6:00PM in the Landside area of the airport.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available. Rates: unknown, but the trolleys do accept €1 and €2 coins.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage lockers are available for rent at a rate of €2 – €4 per locker, depending on the size, for a period of up to 24 hours. Lockers used up to 72 hours incur an extra fee of €6. After 72 hours, the locker is unlocked and an extra fee of €15 is incurred. Location: At the multi-storey car park, near the entrance on Level 00. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside in the Arrivals Area.
- Currency Exchange – Not available.
- Chapel – Location: Arrivals level. Hours: open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Location: Airside, departures level. Rates are not known.
- Rest Zones – Rest in a massage chair in the Quiet zone. Location: Departures Area, airside.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free offer duty-free shopping airside in the Departures area daily from 4:00AM – 9:00PM. A wide variety of gifts and local, regional, and international confections are available for purchase at Gate 14 airport shop, located landside in Arrivals. In addition, a newsstand, a pastry shop, and a couple of gift shops can also be found throughout the airport.
- VAT Refunds – Location: Silke Havlik jewellery store
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon – unknown
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – unknown
- Smoker’s Lounge – ElbeZeit Café and Smoker Lounge – Location: landside, departures level.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Reservations are required. On the Mini Tour (60 minutes) you’ll pass through a security check and take a ride onboard an apron bus. On the Maxi Tour (90 minutes) you’ll also visit the fire station or weather station. The Maxi Tours are open to individuals. Departure Time: Sunday at 4:30PM. Rates: 9€ (adults) and 6€ (children).
- Casino – Spiel-In Casino – Location: Arrivals. Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM (Daily).
- Flight Simulator – FSD Flight Simulation Germany offers a 16 square metre curved screening with a 200° view and adjustable difficulty level. The flight simulator is open to professional pilots, flying school trainees and anyone interested in flying. Location: Arrivals. Hours: 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon – Fri). Available on weekends and public holidays by prior arrangement only.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s viewing platform. Location: on the Gallery Level. Hours: open 24 hours. You can also watch the planes through a panoramic glass wall in the airport forecourt.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of November 2018, Dresden airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot • EasyJet • Eurowings • Germania • KLM • Lufthansa • Swiss.
Bus 77 offers service to the Infineon Factory, with connections to Tram 7 available at the Infineon-Nord stop and to the Dresden Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station). Bus 80 travels to ElbePark shopping centre and Omsewitz in one direction, and Grenzstrasse railway station (connection to S2), Käthe-Kollwitz-Platz (connection to Tram 7) and Dresden-Klotzsche railway station (connections to S2 and regional services) in the other direction.Tickets are sold from vending machines in train stations, and also from the airport’s information desk. For routes, timetables and additional fare information, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
The following car rental agencies are available in the Arrivals Hall: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, Interrent and Sixt.
Taxis are available at taxi stands located in front of the terminal entrances and exits. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this November 201 update, estimated one-way fare between the airport and Dresden city center is € 20.
Located on the lower ground floor, Dresden Airport Station is served by the S-Bahn line S2, which links the airport to Dresden’s two biggest railway stations. Double-decker trains depart every 30 minutes, with stops at Dresden Neustadt and Dresden Hauptbahnhof (Central Station) railway stations. A single ticket costs € 2,20, good for travel on the S-Bahn, bus or tram. Tickets are sold from vending machines in train stations, and also from the airport’s information desk. For routes, timetables and additional fare information, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last updated: 2019-01-10
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.