Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Houston Hobby Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Very little to do in the airport. Planes are delayed often from this airport due to unpredictable weather year-round. It is not uncommon to be stranded for 4-6 hours waiting for your flight to take off. – Guest
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Houston Hobby Airport.
What to Expect
Houston Hobby Airport is a mid-size terminal that services a lot of Southwest Airlines flights. The main concourse consists of 25 gates and a new, smaller international concourse has five gates. There are dozens of eateries and shops throughout the airport on both the air and land sides, with a few offering 24-hour service. WiFi is available and there are plenty of outlets throughout the airport for charging mobile devices. As of this update (May 2018), there did not appear to be any lounges in this airport.
Where to Sleep
Travellers report that the terminal areas are very clean and the airport staff friendly and accommodating to overnight sleepers. Seating is described as plentiful and comfortable, though much of it reportedly comes with armrests. The airport is known for weather-induced flight delays and cancellations, and travellers report that when enough passengers are stranded, airport staff bring out cots, foam sleeping pads, blankets and toiletries kits. Noise and cold temperatures were cited as potential sleep annoyances, so consider bringing earplugs/noise-cancelling earphones and extra layers and/or travel blanket for enhanced sleeping comfort. Explore our guide to sleeping in Houston Hobby Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels within a quick shuttle ride of the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
Houston Hobby Airport has one of the largest collections of public art in the state of Texas. The airport features dozens of artworks throughout the facility, primarily from noteworthy Texas artists.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
At the time of this update there were no pay-per-use lounges.
If sleeping in Houston Hobby Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius). » Check Rates
- Hampton Inn Houston Hobby Airport– (5 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius). » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Houston Hobby Airport– (5 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle to the airport and surrounding area (within 2 mile radius). » Check Rates
- Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport – (8 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius). » Check Rates
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Houston Hobby Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Houston Hobby Airport. Connect to the “Free Airport WIFI” network.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Water bottle refill stations are available free of charge. Locations: Landside, Level 1, International Arrivals exit area • Landside, Level 2, near Southwest ticketing • Airside, near Gate 1 and Gate 3.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some opening as early as 4:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. The only Landside restaurant is Papa’s BBQ (Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM except Saturday when it closes at 9:00PM). Vending machines are available in the airport.
- Traveler’s Aid – Traveler’s Aid is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: Unknown. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available in the baggage claim and drop-off areas of all four terminals, Rate: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Look for the seats with built-in power outlets at these gates: 1-5, 20-25, 27 and 40-51.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside, Level 1 Baggage Claim • Landside, Level 2, near Main Entrance • Airside, Level 2, near the Food Court.
- Currency Exchange – Offered on Level 2 (landside), just before the security checkpoint.
- Chapel – The Airport Interfaith Chapel offers a quiet place to collect your thoughts. Two locations: Central Lobby, Baggage Claim (landside) and Central Concourse (airside, near Gate 46) Open: 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of email we receive about this, we’ll also let you know that cots cannot be “reserved” and, unfortunately, we don’t know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Sit back and enjoy a 5-minute deep-tissue massage for a small fee. Locations: Central Concourse Rotunda, Central Concourse (near Gates 24-32 and near Gate 46), West Concourse (near Gate 3 and near Gate 1) and Level 1 Baggage Claim.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – In addition to the airport’s retail shops, various items can be purchased 24/7 from automated kiosks placed throughout the airside areas of the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more services are available. Location: Central Concourse (airside, near Gate 44) Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM, closed at 8:00PM on Saturdays.
- Smoking – Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside the Terminal. Designated areas can be found outside the Terminal.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Art exhibitions and daily scheduled live music shows are available throughout the airport.
While the airport is open 24 hours ,the TSA security checkpoints are open 3:30AM -11:00PM. You will not be able to access the secure area of the terminal outside of this time frame.
As of January 2018, Houston Hobby airport is served by the following airlines: Aeromexico • Air Canada • Air China • Air France • Air New Zealand • Alaska Airlines • American Airlines • ANA • Avianca • Bahamas Air • British Airways • Delta • Emirates • Eva Air • Frontier Airlines • InterJet • KLM • Lufthansa • Qatar • Singapore Airlines • SonAir • Spirit • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Vivaaerobus • Volaris • WestJet.
Houston Hobby is served by Houston METRO bus system. Bus No 40 connects to downtown in approximately one hour. Pick up is at Curb Zone 3 (Lower Level). For additional route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Houston METRO website.
Car rental desks are located in the lower level near Baggage Claim, and shuttles to the car rental lots pick up at Curb Zone 1. Onsite car rental agencies include Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty. If you have rented through Payless there is no counter inside the airport.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. These hotels can be reached by direct-dial courtesy phones in the baggage claim area, and the pick up area is Curb Zone 9B. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Comfort Suites Hobby Airport Houston • Courtyard Houston Hobby Airport • Days Inn and Suites Houston Hobby Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Hobby Airport • Drury Inn & Suites Houston Hobby • Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport • Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport • Hampton Inn Houston Hobby • Holiday Inn Houston Hobby Airport • La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport • Motel 6 Houston Hobby Airport • SpringHill Suites Houston Hobby Airport • Super 8 Houston Hobby Airport North • Stay Express Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport
SuperShuttle offers door-to-door shared ride service between Houston Hobby and the Houston metropolitan area. SuperShuttle, Galveston Limousine and other shuttle services pick up from Curb Zone 3 (Lower Level).
Taxis are readily available at Curb Zone 1, outside of baggage claim on the lower level. All fares within Houston city limits are charged flat Zone Rate or metered rate, whichever is less. The following one-way flat zone rates were current at the time of this December 2017 update: Downtown $26; Galleria $55.00 and NASA Space Center $38.00. In addition, a surcharge of $1.25 is applied as a departure fee and a $1.00 surcharge applies for rides between 8:00PM and 6:00AM.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.