Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Houston Hobby Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Very little to do in the airport. Planes are delayed often from this airport due to unpredictable weather year-round. It is not uncommon to be stranded for 4-6 hours waiting for your flight to take off. – Guest
HOU Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Houston Hobby Airport.
What to Expect
Houston Hobby Airport (code: HOU) is a mid-size terminal that services a lot of Southwest Airlines flights. The main concourse consists of 25 gates and a new, smaller international concourse has five gates. There are dozens of eateries and shops throughout the airport on both the air and land sides, with a few offering 24-hour service. WiFi is available and there are plenty of outlets throughout the airport for charging mobile devices. As of this update (July 2019), there are no pay per use/airline lounges in this airport.
Sleeping in Hobby Airport
Travellers report that the terminal areas are very clean and the airport staff friendly and accommodating to overnight sleepers. Seating is described as plentiful and comfortable, though much of it reportedly comes with armrests. The airport is known for weather-induced flight delays and cancellations, and travellers report that when enough passengers are stranded, airport staff bring out cots, foam sleeping pads, blankets and toiletries kits. Noise and cold temperatures were cited as potential sleep annoyances, so consider bringing earplugs/noise-cancelling earphones and extra layers and/or travel blanket for enhanced sleeping comfort. Explore our guide to sleeping in Houston Hobby Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels within a quick shuttle ride of the airport. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Good to Know
Houston Hobby Airport has one of the largest collections of public art in the state of Texas. The airport features dozens of artworks throughout the facility, primarily from noteworthy Texas artists.
To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information. For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Hobby Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Houston Hobby Airport that provide free airport shuttles:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport » Check Rates
- Hampton Inn Houston Hobby Airport » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Houston Hobby Airport » Check Rates
- Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport – From the airport, you need to call the hotel for pick-up. Pick-up location is Curb Zone 3, Section 12. » Check Rates
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Houston Hobby Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
At the time of this update there were no pay-per-use lounges.
USO Lounge – The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to active members of the US military and their families. Location: Main Concourse, Airside, one level below Gate 44.
Related Pages: Hobby Airport Lounges
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Houston Hobby Airport. Connect to the “Free Airport WIFI” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailbox. Location: Landside, Main Lobby.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Mothers Room – A private nursing room is available Airside, near Gate 40.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Water bottle refill stations are available free of charge. Locations: Landside at 5 locations • Airside at 8 locations.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some opening as early as 4:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. The only Landside restaurant is Papa’s BBQ (Hours: 6:00AM – 7:00PM except Saturday when it closes at 8:00PM). Vending machines are available in the airport.
- Information Desk – There are 3 information desks available. Locations: Level 1, Houston Interactive Center • Level 2, Landside, near security check-point • Airside, near the Rotunda. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM. Airport Ambassadors are also available throughout the airport, look for the bright red shirts.
- Traveler’s Aid – Traveler’s Aid is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assist with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: Unknown. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available in the baggage claim and drop-off areas of all four terminals, Rate: unknown but only cash and coins are accepted (no coins).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Look for the seats with built-in power outlets at these gates: 1-5, 20-25, 27 and 40-51.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside, Level 1 Baggage Claim • Landside, Level 2, near Main Entrance • Airside, near Gates 1 and 21.
- Currency Exchange – Location: Landside, Level 2.
- Chapel – The Airport Interfaith Chapel offers a quiet place to collect your thoughts. Two locations: Central Lobby, Baggage Claim (landside) and Central Concourse (airside, near Gate 46) Open: 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a limited supply of cots for stranded travellers. Availability may have been affected by Covid. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Sit back and enjoy a 5-minute deep-tissue massage for a small fee. Locations: Central Concourse Rotunda, Central Concourse (near Gates 23, 24-32, 46 and 47), West Concourse (near Gate 3 and near Gate 1) and Level 1 Baggage Claim.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – World Duty Free is available Airside, at Gate 20 (Hours: 9:00AM – 6:00PM). In addition to the airport’s retail shops, various items can be purchased 24/7 from automated kiosks placed throughout the Airside areas of the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more services are available at XpresSpa. Location: Central Concourse (airside, near Gate 45) Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM, closed at 8:00PM on Saturdays.
- Smoking – Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside the Terminal. Designated areas can be found outside the Terminal.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Art exhibitions and daily scheduled live music shows are available throughout the airport.
- Library – The Little Library is a “take a book, return a book” free book exchange. Location: Level 2, near Gate 44
While the airport is open 24 hours ,the TSA security checkpoints are open 3:45AM – 8:45PM. You will not be able to access the secure area of the terminal outside of this time frame.
Houston Hobby airport is served by the following airlines: Allegiant • American Airlines • Delta Air Lines • Frontier • Southwest Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Hobby Airport is served by Houston METRO bus system. Bus No 40 connects to downtown in approximately one hour. Pick up is at Curb Zone 3 (Lower Level). For additional route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Houston METRO website.
Car rental desks are located in the lower level near Baggage Claim, and shuttles to the car rental lots pick up at Curb Zone 1. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty. If you have rented through Payless there is no counter inside the airport. Visit our travel partner at Tripadvisor to search for car rentals deals.
Several area hotels provide airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Hobby Airport Inn & Suites • Courtyard Houston Hobby Airport • Days Inn and Suites Houston Hobby Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Hobby Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Houston Hobby Airport • Holiday Inn Houston Hobby Airport • Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport • La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport • Quality Suites Houston Hobby Airport • SpringHill Suites Houston Hobby Airport.
These hotels can be reached by direct-dial courtesy phones in the baggage claim area, and the pick up area is Curb Zone 9B.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Shuttles and Limousines
SuperShuttle offers door-to-door shared ride service between Houston Hobby and the Houston metropolitan area. SuperShuttle, Galveston Limousine and other shuttle services pick up from Curb Zone 3 (Lower Level).
Taxis are readily available at Curb Zone 1, outside of baggage claim on the lower level. All fares within Houston city limits are charged flat Zone Rate or metered rate, whichever is less. The following one-way flat zone rates were current at the time of this update: Downtown $29; Galleria $59 and NASA Space Center $41. In addition, a departure fee of $1.25 is applied and a $1.00 nighttime surcharge applies for rides between 8:00PM and 6:00AM.
Last updated: 2022-10-31
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, is subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers, and their websites. We are not representatives of any of the above-mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.