Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kilimanjaro Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
We had been warned about staying at the airport, but were pleasantly surprised. It was clean and safe. – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kilimanjaro International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small and outdated single-terminal international airport with clean facilities, friendly staff and a limited variety of shopping and dining options in and around the airport terminal.
- Fast and efficient airport procedures, including check-in, airport security, arrivals and baggage claim.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- Free WiFi is is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Part of the terminal is open air and mosquitoes can be a problem. Bring repellent!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Travelers cannot enter the airport without flight ticket or boarding pass.
- Reviewers suggest waiting until it’s close to your departure time to go through the security checkpoint to get to the boarding area. Otherwise you will be stuck in a tiny transit area for longer than you want to be while waiting to board your flight.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Kilimanjaro International Airport does not appeal to you, these are some of the closest hotels to the airport:
- Kia Lodge – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request and day rooms are available. » Check Rates
- Moshi Leopard Hotel – (35 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available. ($) » Check Rates
- Twiga Home Hostel – (40 minutes from the airport) Airport pick-ups can be arranged upon request via email. ($) » Check Rates
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Kilimanjaro Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Kilimanjaro Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available 24-hours a day. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
Currency Exchange – Yes
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free Shops are available, as are a few bookshops, garment shops, curio shops and jewelry shops.
Food & Drink – At the time of writing, no 24-hour options are available. However, the airport does have a few restaurants inside and outside the passenger terminal.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Care – First Aid and emergency medical care is provided at the AAR KIA Clinic. Hours: open 24 hours.
Mobile Charging – Power outlets are available for mobile charging.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of December 2018, Kilimanjaro airport is served by the following airlines: Air Kenya • Air Tanzania • Condor • Ethiopian Airlines • Fast Jet • FlyDubai • Kenya Airways • KLM • Precision Air • Qatar Airways • Rwandair • Safarilink • Turkish Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Information currently unavailable. If you are familiar with the modes of ground transportation available at this airport, click here to update this airport guide.
Last updated: 2018-12-14
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.