Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Leipzig Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
There was no need to break out my sleeping bag and iso-matress, the benches were comfy enough. -a traveller
LEJ Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Leipzig-Halle Airport.
What to Expect
Leipzig-Halle Airport (code: LEJ) has a large, single terminal that serves a variety of regional flights. Amenities include free WiFi for two hours, a casino, and a few shops and eateries, though none are open 24 hours, so plan ahead for snacks and water. For added comfort while you wait, economy class passengers can pay to enter two airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for location and access information.
Sleeping in Leipzig-Halle Airport
Overnight campers should have no problem spending the night here. The landside check-in area has armrest-free benches. Bring an eye mask and a blanket or travel mat for added comfort. For uninterrupted sleep, nearby hotels offer shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information. For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Leipzig-Halle Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
At the time of this update there were no lounges available. If this is not correct, click here to send us an update.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there is a hotel at Leipzig Halle Airport:
- Campanile Leipzig Halle Airport – The hotel is just a few steps from the terminal. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Leipzig Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available for 2 hours per day. Connect to the “Cloud Network”. No registration is required.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at Eckert Newsagents and Post Office. Location: Terminal B, Ground Floor. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) • 6:00AM – 8:00PM (Sat) and 8:00AM – 10:00PM (Sun).
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby changing rooms are available in Terminal B on the ground floor (Arrivals), the departures waiting areas (both Schengen and non-Schengen), and in the airport mall.If you are travelling with an infant, there are baby care rooms for breastfeeding and diaper-changing. Locations: Terminal B, Arrivals, Ground Floor • Terminal B, Level 1, Schengen and Non-Schengen • Airport Mall.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. Location: Terminal B, Airside, on the upper level in both Schengen and non-Schengen waiting areas.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Most food concessions throughout the airport operate according to daily flight schedule. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, there is an information desk to provide assistance. The information desk also offers storage for small items such as coats, small security items and keys for a fee of EUR 3/day. Location: Central Terminal, near entrance. Hours: 24 hours.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Leipzig and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are 20+ travel agencies with offices that can probably be of assistance. Agencies operate on varying schedules, with most open at a minimum from 10:00AM – 7:00PM including weekends and holidays.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Self-service baggage lockers are available for use at a rate of € 3 per 24-hour period (maximum of 9 days storage). Location: just east of Terminal B, between Terminal B and the Administration Building.
- Medical Services – If you feel unwell or require medical assistance, first aid services are available. There is a total of 6 first aid centers. It is not known if these are manned stations. Locations: (2) Terminal B, Ground Floor • (2) Terminal B. 1st Floor • (2) Central Terminal.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Sparkasse Leipzig, is available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal B (Lower Level) • Check-in area.
- Currency Exchange – Not available.
- Prayer Areas – A non-denominational Christian chapel is open 24 hours a day on the 1st floor, with both Protestant and Catholic pastoral services available. A prayer room for Muslims is also open 24 hours a day on the 1st floor, near the west entrance.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Unwind before your flight in one of the airport’s massage chairs. Locations: Central Terminal • Terminal B, Level 1 • Terminal B, Ground Floor.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free is located in Terminal B (upper level), open during flight operating times. A small market, a book store, and a newsstand are also available.
- VAT Refund – A Global Blue Refund counter can be found at Airport Services Leipzig GmbH. Hours: according to the Lufthansa flight schedule.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens behind-the-scenes on an airport tour. The airport’s visitor center offers guests a range of guided airport tours. Tours must be pre-booked. Location: Besucherservice, Landside . Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon – Sun).
- Casino – Spiel-In Casino – Location: Terminal B, ground floor. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Observation Deck – Get a bird’s eye view of the entire airport complex, including runways and central terminal! Access this viewing deck on the rooftop of the Administration Building via stairs or elevator. Location: unknown. Hours: 24 hours a day, except during times of inclement weather. Rate: €2 per person, coins only. A change machine is available onsite.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Leipzig-Halle airport is served by the following airlines: ASL • Austrian Airlines • Eurowings • Lufthansa • SunExpress. A number of other airlines serve the airport under flights operated by Lufthansa.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Airport Shuttles and Coaches
Fritzsche Shuttles offer shared-ride door-to-door minibus service within a 28-mile range of the airport, with service extending as far south as Chemnitz and the Erz Mountains. Reservations are required, and should be made at least a week in advance, if possible. For service details and reservations, visit the Fritzsche Shuttle website.
Several local companies also operate scheduled or on-demand regional shuttle services to and from the airport. Reservations may be required. Contact your service provider of choice for details.
Car rental desks are located in Terminal B, on Level 0. Onsite car rental agencies include Avis/Budget • Caro Autovermietung • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • InterRent • Sixt.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Taxis and Shared Ride Shuttles
Taxis are available in front of Terminal B on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Total one-way trip time to Leipzig city center is 40 minutes, and to Halle city center is 30 minutes.
Leipzig/Halle Airport railway station is located underneath the airport terminal, accessed by trains from all over central Germany. The “Flughafen Express” runs daily between the airport and Leipzig Hauptbahnhof (main railway station) every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day with limited service between 1:00AM and 3:00AM. For timetables and additional information, visit the MDV website.
Additional routes are available to Leipzig, plus longer distance service trains to Frankfurt, Hannover, Dresden and more. For routes, schedules and ticketing information, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, is subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers, and their websites. We are not representatives of any of the above-mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.