Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Luang Prabang Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
At the ticket counter 4 guards stared intently at my passport, for a long time, stamped it, then handed it back. Still without saying a word or a change in facial expression. – Macca
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Luang Prabang International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal airport with minimal shopping and dining options. There’s not much to do here, so have a book or a few magazines for entertainment!
- Check-in here is a little different to most airports. You must clear security to enter the airport, then proceed to your check-in desk, then to the general waiting area until your gate is opened. You only proceed through immigration once your gate is announced, then you wait at the gate area.
Where to Sleep
- As of December 2018, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Luang Prabang Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Le Bel Air Boutique Resort – (6 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- My Dream Boutique Resort – (7 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle is available upon request (email or call +856 71 252 853 to arrange). » Check Rates
- Luang Prabang Paradise Resort – (7 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Bellevue Bungalows – (7 minutes from the airport) Basic, budget lodging near the airport. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Luang Prabang Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
In January 2018, a reader let us know that WiFi is available at Luang Prabang Airport. You need to sign-up for an account first.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: unknown.
Currency Exchange – Yes. Available in the Arrivals area.
Food & Drinks – There is a restaurant located in the car park of the airport. Once inside the airport, 2 small cafes are available in the departure lounges.
Information Desk – Yes.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please click here to update this airport guide and we will update this airport guide.
As of December 2018, Luang Prabang airport is served by the following airlines: Bangkok Airways • China Eastern • Hainan Airways • Lao Airlines • Silk Airways • Thai AirAsia • Thai Airways • Vietnam Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Some local hotels offer shuttle service to and from the airport. Contact your hotel of choice for availability and details.
Prepaid taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. Stop at the Prepaid Taxi booth in the Arrivals hall to pay for your ride. You will receive a ticket to give to your taxi driver before boarding the taxi.
Travel like the locals do! If your load is light, you can travel at a fraction of the price of a taxi by taking a “tuk tuk”, which pass along the main road near the airport.
Last updated: 2018-12-27
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.