Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Lusaka Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I wouldn’t want to sleep in the airport or even be there late at night. – Bill
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport.
What to Expect
- A friendly single-terminal international airport with very limited shopping and dining options.
- One reviewer described the departure process as lengthy, inconvenient and uncomfortable, with several security checkpoints.
- Mixed reviews on the cleanliness of the airport’s restrooms.
- A hotel and shopping mall within the vicinity of the airport are set to open in 2019.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- WiFi is is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There are only few benches and the terminal is said to be too cold. A sleeping bag is recommended.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- IAPCO Club Lounge – Location: Airside. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
- SAA Baobab Premium Class Lounge – Location: Main Terminal, Airside.
- Kenya Airways Simba Lounge – Location: Main Terminal, Airside.
If sleeping in Lusaka Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Cresta Golfview – (10 minutes from the airport) Airport transfer service is available upon request (via e-mail) for $18.00 USD each way. » Check Rates
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka – (15 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available upon request (email) for $30.00 USD each way. » Check Rates
- Chita Lodge – (15 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged through the hotel ($). » Check Rates
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Lusaka Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Lusaka Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: One machine (at least) can be found Landside and Airside.
Business Center – Yes
Currency Exchange – Yes
Duty Free & Shopping – Dufry offers Duty Free shopping at the airport. In addition, you will find shops selling books, newspapers, souvenirs, etc.
Food & Drinks – Landside: Awale and Akwabar snack bars. Airside: Air Lounge Café. Hours: Unknown.
Information Desk – Yes
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Luggage Wrapping – Available in the check-in areas. Rates: 1500FCFA (approx. € 2.25)/bag.
Medical Services – Available in the main hall, departures area. Hours: unknown.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Pharmacy – Available both Landside and Airside.
Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards, ship packages and send/receive money orders at the airport’s post office. Location: Landside. Hours: 7:30AM – 4:30PM with reduced hours (afternoons only) on the weekends.
Prayer Room – Yes. Ask for access at the Information Desk.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
Smoking – A designated smoking room is located airside.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of January 2019, Lusaka airport is served by the following airlines: Air Namibia • Airlink • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • FastJet • Kenya Airways • Mahogany Air • Malawian Airlines • Proflight Zambia • Rwandair • South African Airways • TAAG • Turkish Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Travel like the locals do! If your load is light, you can travel at a fraction of the price of a taxi by taking a shared-ride minibus to the airport. Minibuses run on a fixed-route system, so make sure your minibus is going to the airport before you hop in! Note, the minibuses are not available from the airport, only to the airport.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport, and it is the only method of transportation available when leaving the airport. There are no meters, so negotiate a fare with the driver before starting your journey.
Last updated: 2019-01-03
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.