Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Lyon Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
There were at one point 12 different people taking up couch space, and the staff took absolutely no notice, left us perfectly alone. – a traveller
LYS Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport.
What to Expect
- Lyon Airport (code: LYS) consists of three separate terminals for domestic, international and low-cost carrier flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, mainly in Terminals 1 and 2.
- WiFi is available to help pass the time.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Lyon Airport
Don’t bother trying to sleep in the stingy and uncomfortable Terminal 3! Terminal 1 is the popular terminal for sleeping, with its ample supply of comfortable seating and couches (mostly near bars and restaurants that are closed for the night), peaceful atmosphere, power outlets a-plenty, and free WiFi. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out any annoying overhead announcements! For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Good to Know
According to one reviewer, vending machines in the airport train station are cheaper than the vending machines inside the terminal.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Lyon Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
- Le Salon Mont Blanc – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Non-Schengen, Departure Area, 2nd Floor. Hours: Hours: 8:00AM-9:00PM (Mon/Wed/Fri), 7:00AM-7:00PM (Tue/Thur) and 7:00AM-7:00PM (Sat-Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at Door (31.20€).
- Salon Confluence – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Schengen, Departures Area, 2nd Floor. Hours: 5:30AM – 7:30PM. Lounge Access: Pay at Door (31.20€).
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- Air France Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate 21. Hours: 4:15AM – 8:15PM.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Lyon Airport:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Moxy Lyon Airport – Located in Terminal 2. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- NH Lyon Aéroport – (30 steps from Terminals 1 and 2) Day rooms are offered according to availability. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Lyon Airport that can be sorted by price, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available in all terminals at Lyon Airport. Additionally, the Welcome Space offers passengers access to iPads. The Welcome Space is located in The Square, Landside, 2nd Floor.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- ECapsule – Need a private place to work? The ECapsule is an enclosed work booth. Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Boarding area. Hours: 24 hours. Rate: from 2.90€.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Diaper changing rooms are available 24 hours a day in T1 and T2. Loaner strollers are available for use, free of charge. Request one at the Information Desk.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. Locations: Terminal 1, landside, Level 0 near the tour operators • Terminal 2, Airside, Departures lounge.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – There are approximately 20 food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:30AM or 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit the airport information desk. Locations: T1, Level 0. (Hours: 8:00AM – 11:00PM) • T2, Level 0. (Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM) • Welcome Area – Le Square, Level 1. (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM) • Transportation Counter –Terminal 1, Landside, Level 0.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available. Rate: a refundable deposit of €1 (coin-only). If you don’t have a €1 coin handy, free tokens are available in the car parks and Arrivals halls.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Rate: Starting at €12 per bag. Locations: Terminal 1, Departure (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM) • Terminal 1, Landside (Hours: 5:00AM – 6:00PM).
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Infirmary (Bâtiment Arc, Level 0) and at the walk-in Medical Practice (Arc Building, Level 0). Infirmary hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM. Medical Practice hours: Open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy – Location: Le Square, airside, Level 1. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon – Fri) • 8:00AM – 4:00PM (Sat) • 10:00AM – 7:00PM (Sun).
- Mobile Charging – There are 5 tables in the restaurant area of Terminal 1 that enable mobile charging. Power outlets are available almost everywhere.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal 1, landside, Check-in area on Level 1 • Terminal 2, landside, Check-in area on Level 0.
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange services are offered by Travelex. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside. (Hours: 9:00AM-6:15PM) • Terminal 1, Landslide. (Hours: 5:15AM – 8:00PM).
- Prayer Area – There is an interfaith Religious Centre located on Level 1 in Le Square. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Head to the free lounge area and information bar in Le Square (Level 1). The airport provides free tablet usage and a relaxation area.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free and Shopping – The airport offers 3 Duty Free shops as well as a selection of other shops including Relay (newspapers, magazines, snacks, etc.).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa & Salon Services – Manicures and pedicures are available at Mademoiselle Vernis Nail Bars. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, Departure lounge, Level 1. Hours: Varies, between 6:00AM to 7:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Lyon airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Algérie • Air Arabia • Air Canada • Air Corsica • Air France • Air Malta • Air Nostrum • Air Senegal • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Anadolujet • ASL • Austrian Airlines • Blue Air • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Chalair • Corsair • Croatia Airlines • EasyJet • Emirates • Eurowings • Flyone Armenia • Iberia • Iberia Express • Jet2 • KLM • Lufthansa • Montenegro Airlines • Nouvelair • Pegasus Airlines • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian • Sky Express • Sky Up • Smartwings • TAP Portugal • Transavia • Tui Fly• Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Twin Jet • Volotea • Vueling • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you are travelling to the city, a nearby town or heading to the slopes, there should be a bus that can get you there. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Lyon Airport website.
A free shuttle service links the airport with the car rentals area. The following agencies are located onsite: Avis/Budget • Enterprise/National/Alamo • Europcar • Hertz/Thrifty • Sixt • Total. Self-service car rentals are also available (24 hour pick-up) with ada and VIRTUO.
At the time of this update we were able to find only one hotel offering airport shuttle service: Ibis Budget Aeroport Lyon Saint Exupery.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi rank just outside of LYS airport. Accepted methods of payment include cash, credit cards and bank checks. The following average daytime rates (7:00AM – 7:00PM) were current at the time of this update: Lyon Centre € 50 – 55; Eurexpo € 45 – 50; Cité Internationale € 45 – 50; Grenoble € 150 – 160; Moutiers € 230 – 240.
Lyon Airport is connected by train to over 29 towns in France and Italy, with service provided by TGV high-speed trains or low-cost OUIGO trains. For more information on train services, visit the Lyon Airport website.
Rhônexpress takes you directly to the city center in less than 30 minutes. The train leaves every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes from 4:25AM – 6:00PM and 9:00PM – 12:00AM.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.