Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Medellin Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
If you head upstairs in the center of the terminal, there’s a couple tables with chairs you can sit at. – drvannostren
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Medellin Airport.
What to Expect
- Located in the city of Rionegro, a 45 minute drive south-east from Medellin. José María Córdova is a small, but modern international airport with clean facilities and a good variety of shopping and dining options, including a 24-hour cafe!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- As of January 2019, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. A recent review indicates that comfortable seating is available in the airport, if you want to give it a shot. Write a review to help future travelers.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Avianca Sala VIP – Location: National Terminal, Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- Copa Club – Location: International Terminal, Airside. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- The Lounge Medellin – Location: Airside, 2nd Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge Membership Programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Medellin Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hostal El Hangar – (within 5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Movich Hotel Las Lomas – (within 5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Santiago de Arma – (within 5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available.. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Medellin Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Medellin Airport. Connect to the “AeropuertoRionegro-MDE” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: the Main Hall and the International Arrivals area.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available. Rates: unknown.
Currency Exchange – Three currency exchange companies have offices at Medellin Airport in the Main Hall and International Arrivals area.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a variety of shops selling everything from clothes and souvenirs, to liquor and magazines.
Food & Drinks – There is a 24-hour deli as well other food concessions that operate with shorter hours. Coffee drinkers will be well served here with 11 concessions including a Juan Valdez Cafe.
Garden – The airport offers dedicated garden areas on the 1st and 2nd Floor of the airport.
Information Desk – Need help finding your way? There is an information point located on the 2nd Floor, main hall.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Services – If you require medical attention, there is a First Aid station available. Location: unknown.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Pharmacy – Pasteur Farmacia – Location: Main Hall.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Medellin and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. Located in the Main Hall, you will find: Aviatur, BCD Travel, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Swiss Andina, Travel Center Over and Viajes Veracruz.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of January 2019, Medellin José María Córdova airport is served by the following airlines: Aeromexico • Air Panama • American Airlines • Avianca • Avior Airlines • Copa • EasyFly • Iberia • Jetblue • Latam • Spirit • Wingo • Vivaair.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Combuses SA offers transportation between Medellin and José María Córdova Airport. The one-way fare is $9,500 (as of February 2018).
Avis, Hertz, Executive Rentacar, Localiza and Dollar counters can be found in the International Arrivals area.
Taxis are available onsite. Authorized companies include: Cordova Rionegro Fleet, Combuses, Rionegro Medellin Rapid Transit, La Ceja United Transportation, Aerotaxi, Chachafruto, TUR and Copetaxi Transports. The rate to Medellin is $70,000 (as of February 2018).
Last updated: 2019-01-09
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.