Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Milwaukee Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
even though there were armrests on the most uncomfortable chairs, sleeping was still possible because of the silent ambience of this place. – Derek
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Milwaukee General Mitchell International Airport.
What to Expect
Milwaukee General Mitchell International Airport consists of a mid-size terminal with three concourses (C, D and E) with 38 gates, and about two dozen eateries and retail outfits spread out between the concourses and main landside terminal. The only 24-hour operation is Starbucks, so plan accordingly if you intend to spend the night. WiFi is available to help pass the time. And additional comfort may be found through fee-based access to the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
After security checkpoints close for the night, all passengers are restricted to the landside areas, and must re-clear security the next day when the checkpoints open. Most chairs in the airport are hard and have armrests, but some passengers have managed to sleep by propping their feet up on an opposite seat. An internet/workstation area near the entranceway to Concourse C has been cited as a potential nook for relatively private sleeping with an added bonus of a heated wall. The airport is known for being cold and noisy, so prepare by bringing extra layers or a travel blanket and earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones. For uninterrupted sleep, there are some hotels within a quick shuttle ride of the airport. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
Concourse E is closed and slated for demolition.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Airline Lounges (members only)
If sleeping in Milwaukee Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Best Western Plus Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Conference Center – (4 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Super 8 Milwaukee Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available from 4:00AM – 12:00AM. » Check Rates
- Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area and wait by the center median outside of Baggage Claim #4. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Milwaukee Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi (with advertising) is available at the Milwaukee Airport. Connect to the “Boingo Hotspot” network.
You can upgrade to the premium, advertisement free WiFi at the following rates: $ 4.95 (1 hour) • $7.95 (24 hours) • $9.95 (unlimited).
- Baggages Carts – Available throughout the airport. Rate: unknown.
- Bookstore – A bookstore is available landside.
- Duty Free & Shopping – At the time of this update, it is not known if Duty Free shopping is available. There is a small variety of retail shops and newsstands to pass the time.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, write a review or email us at [email protected]
- Museum – The Gallery of Flight Aviation History Museum offers an interesting and informative display of memorabilia from the aviation pioneers of Milwaukee and Wisconsin. Location: Upper Level, landside, between Concourses C and D.
- Pet Relief Area – An indoor pet relief area is available on the Upper Level near the skywalk to the parking garage. An outdoor pet relief area is available just outside of Baggage Claim on the Lower Level.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailbox. Location: Upper Level, Landside.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Showers – Not available.
- Workstations – Locations: Concourse C.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort inside a Mamava Breastfeeding & Lactation Suite. Each suite has changing table, comfortable seating, mirror, USB outlets, and more. Three locations: Main Terminal – opposite Miller Brewhouse • Concourse C, near Gate C9 • Concourse D, near Gate D36. In addition, family restrooms are available throughout the airport, they include additional space for luggage and strollers, changing tables, and child size toilets and sinks in some locations. Changing tables are available in all restrooms.
- Children’s Play Areas – Cute and colorful aviation-themed play areas are available in two locations: Concourse C – opposite Chili’s • Concourse D – between Gates D30 and D34.
Food & Drink
Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. This option is open 24 hours: Starbucks (Main Terminal, landside, Upper Level near Concourse D security checkpoint).
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Main Terminal, Landside, on the Upper Level • Airside, Concourses C and E.
- Banking Services – There is a BMO Harris Bank in the Main Terminal, landside, Upper Level.
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we’ll also let you know that cots cannot be “reserved” and we don’t know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
Traveler’s Aid is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: Main Concourse. Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon – Thurs), 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Fri), 9:00AM – 9:00PM (Sat), 1:00PM – 9:00PM (Sun).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
As of June 2019, Milwaukee airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • Alaska Airlines • American Airlines • Allegiant Airlines • Delta • Frontier Airlines • Southwest Airlines • United Airlines • Volaris. Note: the airport may also be service by seasonal (vacation) airlines.
MCTS GreenLine service connects the airport to downtown Milwaukee, Bayshore Town Center, Bayshore/Whitefish Bay area, UVM, Milwaukee’s east and south sides and Walker’s Point. MCTS Route 80 service connects the airport to downtown Milwaukee, including the downtown MATC campus, and the MATC-South Campus in Oak Creek. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the MCTS website.
GO Riteway offers door-to-door shared ride shuttle service between the airport and Milwaukee, southeastern Wisconsin or northern Illinois (including Chicago).
Badger Coaches, Coach USA and Lamers offer coach service to Milwaukee area, surrounding region and counties throughout Wisconsin. Contact your service provider of choice for details. Coaches pick up outside of Baggage Claim 2.
Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Payless and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Conference Center • Clarion Hotel Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Milwaukee Airport • Courtyard Milwaukee Airport • Hampton Inn Milwaukee Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport • Hyatt Place Milwaukee Airport & Spa • Sleep Inn & Suites • Super 8 Milwaukee Airport
Taxis are available in the taxi lane located behind the car rental area, outside and across from Baggage Claim 3. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Amtrak’s Hiawatha line runs between Intermodal Station in downtown Milwaukee, and Union Station in Chicago. Trains stop at Milwaukee Airport Rail Station, which is connected to the airport terminal via free shuttle service. Shuttle pick up is outside of Baggage Claim Door 4. For route map, schedules and fares, visit the Amtrak Hiawatha website.
Last updated: 2019-07-15
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.