Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Monastir Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
They just stood around and laughed at peoples passport pictures and didn’t take any notice of the weight of peoples bags or even ask what was inside them! – Donald
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport, served mainly by seasonal flights and short-distance flights to Tripoli. Shopping and dining options are limited and pricey. According to one reviewer, shopkeepers were rude and charged prices as they saw fit.
- One reviewer warns not to attempt to bring local currency home, as airport security will confiscate it and shops in the airport will not accept it.
- Only USD, British Pounds and Euro are accepted in airport shops and restaurants.
- If arriving into the airport from a flight, be vigilant at baggage claim when collecting your luggage. Watch out for taxi and luggage touts who will try to grab your luggage and demand “baksheesh” (a tip or bribe) in order to get it back.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- As of January 2019, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Primeclass CIP Lounge – Location: Departure Terminal, Airside, Boarding Area, next to Gate 12. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Monastir Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Royal Thalassa Monastir – (3 minutes from the airport) Located opposite the airport. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Sahara Beach – (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Monastir Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Monastir Airport inside the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations:
- Terminal 1: Departure Hall (1F) • Arrival Hall (1F) • Departure Hall (3F) • Arrival Immigration Hall (3F) • B1 bank counters
- Terminal 2: Arrival Hall (1F) • Arrival Immigration Hall (2F) • Departure Hall (3F) • B2.
Baby Care Facilities – Information not available.
Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge at the airport.
Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area.
Currency Exchange – There are four banks operating in airport. Three in the landside of the departure hall and one in the landside of the arrival hall. The branches offer regular banking services to passengers and visitors.
Duty Free & Shopping – The ATU Duty Free shop is located airside after passport control.
Food & Drinks – There are no 24-hour food options at this airport. There are 6 food and drink concessions: Coffee-inn • Canteen • Greenport • Flight Point • Sky Shop • Lindo.
Information Desk – Locations: Arrivals and Departures Halls, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Care – Basic emergency care is available at the Medical Centre. Location: Landside, Departure Hall. Hours: open 24 hours.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Porters – There are porters in the arrival and departure halls that will help you carry your luggage at no cost.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of January 2019, Monastir airport is served by the following airlines: Libyan Airlines • Nouvelair • Transavia • Tunisair. Note: the airport may be served by other airlines on a seasonal basis.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Dim • Heritiers. Locations: Arrivals Hall, on the right hand side after exiting the customs area.
Monastir Airport is served by trains to/from all major cities. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the SNCFT website.
There are yellow taxis and white taxis serving Monastir airport. White taxis are tourist taxis, which are more comfortable and expensive. At the time of this December 2017 update, fares are 0,4 Dinar per 1 km (Yellow Taxis) or 1,2 Dinar (White Taxis).
Last updated: 2019-01-14
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.