Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Moscow Vnukovo Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
It was must say nicer than camping out at Domodedovo or for that matter Heathrow.
VKO Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Moscow Vnukovo Airport.
What to Expect
- Moscow Vnukovo Airport (code: VKO) is the smallest of Moscow’s three main airports, and the third busiest in Russia.
- This medium-sized airport is divided into two terminals. The main terminal – Terminal A – is used for domestic and international flights. Terminal D currently houses arriving flights mostly from North Caucasus.
- All main announcements (delays, boarding, final calls and so on) are made in Russian and English. Like everywhere in Russia only a few of the staff members speak English. Anticipate language barriers.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in one airport lounge. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Vnukovo Airport
- We have very few reviews from travellers who have spent the night here. If you plan to spend the night, please have a backup plan.
- All benches in Terminal A have armrests, so they are not comfortable for sleeping. But some extremely tired and desperate passengers will push two benches together to create a makeshift bed.
- Airport staff are generally tolerant of the sleeping travellers – perhaps until the airport starts to become crowded.
- Almost all benches located landside have metal seats, ones that are found airside have soft padding.
- Some people rent a film in the mini-cinema to have a comfortable place to relax. See More Services in the airport guide below.
- There are no dedicated sleeping areas at Vnukovo airport, but there is a dark section without windows in the international departures area between gates 28/28A and 29/29A.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are several hotels located near the airport. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Vnukovo Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Moscow Vnukovo Airport:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.Inside Airport Aerosleep Capsule Hotel – Capsules include a bed, storage, WiFi, a smart TV and power outlets for mobile charging. Location: Terminal A, 3rd Floor. » Read Tripadvisor Reviews
- Doubletree by Hilton Moscow Vnukovo – Connected to the terminal by an underground tunnel. » Check Rates
- Four Points by Sheraton Moscow Vnukovo Airport – Scheduled to open in June 2023. This hotel will be within walking distance of the airport terminal. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Vnukovo Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!Passes Art Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Airside, 2nd Floor, near Gate 23. International and in-transit flights only. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Fountain Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Airside, 2nd Floor, food court area. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.Passes Prokofiev Premier Lounge – Location: Terminal A, 2nd Floor, near Gate 13. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Top Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Airside, 3rd Floor, near Gate 21. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.Passes Tchaikovskiy Lounge – Location: Terminal A, International Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Rakhmaninov Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Domestic Airside between gates 11/11A and 12/12A. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.Passes Business Lounge International and Domestic – Location: Terminal A, Landside, 3rd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Vnukovo Airport Lounges
Free WiFi is available at Moscow Vnukovo Airport in Terminal A for 15 minutes. Device authentication is required via SMS which costs around 50 ₽ (depending on the operator). After the free 15 minutes, you will be asked to pay asked to pay 129 rubles for 24 hours. Free WiFi is available at the airport lounges. Additionally there is an Internet Cafe located in Terminal A on the 2nd floor on the right.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal A, Landside. There are no ATMs airside.
Family Services – Travelling with small children? Here are a few services that may be of interest to you:
- Children’s Playroom – Location: Terminal A, landside, 2nd floor on the left. No fees, no medical certificate is required, flight ticket is required. Only one parent can accompany in the playroom due to limited space inside, but the other can wait in a kind of a lounge just near the room.
- Children’s Play Areas – Similar to the playroom, but on a much small scale and a fee is required. Location: Terminal A, airside, domestic and international departures. Rate: 300 ₽ per 30 minutes.
- Parenting Room – The parenting room is equipped with baby cribs, changing tables and play areas. Location: Terminal D. No fees; however, you must obtain a medical certificate to gain entry – see Health Centre located in Terminal A. Available for children under 7 y.o. but parents with children under 3 have priority.
Luggage Carts – Need a hand with your bags? Luggage carts are available free of charge near the airport entrance/check-in and the baggage claim area.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – A luggage storage room is located in Terminal A, underground level. Rate: 500 RUB/day for standard luggage or 800 RUB/ day for overweight luggage (over 30kg).
Mobile Charging – In January 2019, a reader sent us this update: “Chargers are available in some places of airports. Either just walk around food court and look on the bottom of walls (some of them do not work) or there is charger in IUIU restaurant. USB sockets next to gate 23 with blue sign Turkish airlines.”
Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
Showers – Showers are available inside a few of the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Smoking Rooms – Due to new Russian federal anti-smoke law smoking inside any airport terminals in Russia is completely prohibited, so all smoking rooms are closed now. Smoking is allowed only in the street not closer than 25 meters away from any terminal entrance.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Vnukovo airport is served by the following airlines: Azerbaijan Airlines • Azimuth • Bulgarian Air • Ellinari • flydubai • FlyOne • Gazprom Avia • Georgian Airways • Hong Kong Airlines • iFly • Iran Aseman Airlines • Iraqi Airways • Izhavia • Lufthansa • Mahan Air • Nouvelair Tunisie • Pobeda • Rossiya • RusLine • SCAT • Severstal Aircompany • Somon Air • Syrian Arab Airlines • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Utair • Uzbekistan Airways • Vologda Aircompany • Wizz Air • Yakutia Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Please note: A majority of public transportation signage and PA announcements are in Russian only. If you are not familiar with the Russian language, you may find it helpful to keep an easily accessible list of your metro, bus, and train stops or routes written in Russian and your native language as a quick reference while navigating your way around.
VKO airport is connected to the city bus system via routes 611, 611C and 611F. These options connect you to the Yugo-Zapadnaya metro station where you can connect to onward travels. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Moscow Vnukovo Airport website.
At the time of this update we were unable to find any hotels that offer an airport shuttle. See also Airport Hotels above.
Minibus route 45m operates between Vnukovo Airport and the Yugo-Zapadnaya metro station from 7:00AM – 10:30PM. The Ford van minibuses depart every 10 minutes, or once it is full. To access the minibus via metro, take Line 1 (red) to the Yugo-Zapadnaya metro station at the southwest (bottom) end of the line. The minibus stops are located on the curb outside of the Yugo-Zapadnaya metro station and at the forecourt of Vnukovo Airport Terminal A. At the time of this update, the fare is RUR 100 per passenger (plus RUR 10/extra piece of luggage).
Taxis are readily available outside of the first floor at Terminal A and Terminal B.
Vnukovo Airport is connected to central Moscow via the non-stop Aeroexpress. The Aeroexpress originates at Kievskiy railway terminal (metro stop: Kievskaya) and runs to the underground level of Terminal A (total trip time: 35 minutes). For fares, schedules and routes, visit the Aeroexpress website.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.